Tool Talk

Mr Someone, did you have a wood chip heater for the bath? They were fabulous and puffed away with a steady whoof-whoof. There was a funnel on the top. Much more fun than city gas geysers. All you had to do was lean over and drop in some wood from the bucket if the bath or shower ran cold, but my elders rationed the wood. That also rationed water.
Luxury! I can remember being bathed in a copper.

Thats great information, thanks. Yes, this one has a water jacket. I wasn't going to hook it up to anything. I'm hoping it won't burn the jacket out if its left empty (then again this thing is probably a minimum of 60years old, so its probably corroded out).

Mr Floride, that would been rather hot on your little bottom. Or was it electric? But fitting in the older Floride would have been fun. So would have been getting him out. Did they use the copper stick?

My grandfather had a chaff cutter mounted over his copper - it served as a receptacle, but the sharp wheel terrified me.

How delightfully antiquated!
Our house had hot water from the taps .....piped in from the briquette fuelled water heater out in the shed next door to the dunny.

Mr Floride, that would been rather hot on your little bottom. Or was it electric?
Well I was quite young obviously but I seem to remember Mother heated the water in a big black kettle from the stove top. After practicing her craft on my 2 older sisters she was a professional at bathing youngens. No burnt bottoms and it still looks like new in fact.

That's disappointing. I was hoping she lit the fire underneath. Something like a cannibal cartoon.
images (46).jpeg

No burnt bottoms and it still looks like new in fact.
Hi.

I'll take your word for this, no need to post a picture. I'm sure our imaginations will suffice. I was changing my grandsons nappy today, I'm sure yours is just as supple.

Cheers.

Bought a new Torque Wrench last weekend. Decided I needed a mid size for wheel nuts 90-100Nm.
Was going to buy a Toledo from Repco for about $110 but then I found this while I was looking at details of how to adjust that type of torque wrench:
These are "dual scale" but are prioritised for quick setting in ft/lbs and you need to be a mathematician to set in Newton Metres! (I don't have the 1.35x table in my head). Of course you can look up conversion charts, but if I'm getting a new one, may as well get a Nm direct scale tool.

As most of the specs are now only in Nm, including later Haynes manuals, I looked for something better and bought one of these:
Repco Torque Wrench 200Nm.jpg

OK, its double the price, but I like a decent tool, and this is excellent. Currently Repco have this on special auto club price of $215 reduced from $270.
Repco claim this is made by Norbar, and I found "Norbar" engraved on the one I bought, so claim is correct. You can buy the similar Norbar brand for around $270-300 if preferred.
Main thing it is super easy to adjust in Nm, with a vernier dial (that small triangular window near end of hand grip) to 1Nm intervals.
Ft/lbs are direct reading at RH side of main scale, and looks accurate enough if you need it.
It is lightweight, has ratchet operation (good on wheel nuts instead of repositioning the socket), is reversible for LH threads, comes in a plastic case with lid. I got the 200Nm version as the wheel nut torque (usually about 90 or 100Nm) would be about mid scale. There is also a similar 100Nm version but I don't like using a torque wrench near to its maximum.
Comes with an individual Certificate of Calibration, and is supposed to be within 3% accuracy.
As is the usual case with this type of torque wrench, it is recommended to return it to a low setting (not zero) after use so as not to get a "set" in the spring. Not necessary if being used constantly, only if in storage.
I like it, it's a good tool.

I've heard in the past repco branded tools are quite good. I have a tension wrench for ALDI here. They are made in germany from memory. But how can you possibly test there accuracy ? Its a bit like a tyre pressure gauge, how can you check its accuracy? you need a tested, known accurate gauge to test what you have against :)

a pair of ancient history "dual-signal" wrenches here, made in Maidstone, Vic I think.... :)

Bob

Don't get me started on torque wrenches! I can go from a fraction of a Nm to 800 Nm. Most of that range in both Warren and Brown and Stahlwille.

If anyone is in need of a torque wrench or three, let me know. I could do with downsizing the collection a little.

Roger

Don't get me started on torque wrenches! I can go from a fraction of a Nm to 800 Nm. Most of that range in both Warren and Brown and Stahlwille.

If anyone is in need of a torque wrench or three, let me know. I could do with downsizing the collection a little.

Roger
Don't do it! If you have six of everything, you have a slight chance of finding one without buying another when you need it :clown:

Don't do it! If you have six of everything, you have a slight chance of finding one without buying another when you need it :clown:
A 10mm spanner, you can never have too many 10mm spanners.

Several people have tested the Aldi wrench calibration being surprised by the price. The concensus seems to be that it errs at very low values, then becomes linear and adequately accurate as torque rises.

The simplest home test is to attach it to a horizontal bolt and nut and with it supported at the business end, hang a heavy known mass from the handle. See what it reads.

A 10mm spanner, you can never have too many 10mm spanners.

I am surprised that you, a man who owns a DS that isn't one of the earliest, is enthusiastic about 10mm spanners but not 11mm. Most DS owners I know will buy any 11mm spanner they find with a different shape from one they already have. Same for 8mm.

Roger