The TRACTION! Appreciation Thread

Hi Everyone

Although I do not have a traction.... yet, I thought of sharing these pics with you tractionaholics:D

The first one is a 1938 Faux coupe, imported to South Africa in +-1985 been restored in 1986 and been going ever since, no rust what so ever!! The car gets used fairly often and is just.... great!! It won the local concourse scoring 98% on a few occasions, Oliver ds Serres knows a fair bit about the history of these two cars, where they came from et cetra..

The next one is, I think somewhere in the region of 1936 ,Faux cabriolet, it was completed in 2008 if I am not mistaken. still needs a bit of work but is quite nice, it was up for sale for around Aud$140 000:eek: But the owner wants to keep it in South Africa, I think it will eventually find it's way back to Europe, it is inevetable.

S5001405.jpg

S5001408.jpg

S5001409.jpg

S5001411.jpg

S5001412.jpg

S5001414.jpg

S5001415.jpg

S5001423.jpg

S5001434.jpg

Next is a 1946 Slough small boot. Received an overhauled engine with ID19 conrods, and a rebuilt gearbox, aswell as a total rebuilt front suspension, good for another 50 years:approve:
I like the name of the car "jezebel":roflmao:

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

Cheers
Corne

Hi Everyone

Although I do not have a traction.... yet, I thought of sharing these pics with you tractionaholics:D

The first one is a 1938 Faux coupe, imported to South Africa in +-1985 been restored in 1986 and been going ever since, no rust what so ever!! The car gets used fairly often and is just.... great!! It won the local concourse scoring 98% on a few occasions, Oliver ds Serres knows a fair bit about the history of these two cars, where they came from et cetra..

The next one is, I think somewhere in the region of 1936 ,Faux cabriolet, it was completed in 2008 if I am not mistaken. still needs a bit of work but is quite nice, it was up for sale for around Aud$140 000:eek: But the owner wants to keep it in South Africa, I think it will eventually find it's way back to Europe, it is inevetable.

S5001414.jpg

Cheers
Corne
These are very nice cars. I notice that the coupe has the very early lighting controls in place of the more usual single stalk control on the steering column.
Cheers Gerry:cheers:

Lovely cars Corne. I am interested that the two pre war cars are left hand drive . They obviously didn't get any Slough imports at that stage? Thanks for posting, I can see that Faux cabriolet in the drive! (in my dreams of course)

Haha yup at least we can dream:roflmao: Both of them are French built, I saw a RHD in this same thread, for me that was strange, guess Slough, England (RHD) and France(LHD) built the Coupe and Cabriolet?

Gerry, that headlight switch, the owner has got that style switch in the coupe and cabriolet, would that be correct for the period?

Oh forgot to mention both of these cars were imported by the current owner from France... I think one came from just outside Paris, not totally sure though

Cheers
Corne

You are right tractionfan!! I must admit, my first ever drive in a traction was in that cabriolet, it has got a 4 speed traction gearbox, not an ID gearbox, it has got a *very* short first gear, so short in fact you barely get the car to roll then you switch over to second gear.

Even after 26 years you can smell the cloth material seats in the coupe, and ofcourse that leather smell in the cabriolet, truely an amazing experience, and I am very thankful for it:approve:

Cheers
Corne

These are very nice cars. I notice that the coupe has the very early lighting controls in place of the more usual single stalk control on the steering column.

I tried to upload an extract from "Accessoires pour Citroen Traction Avant 7 & 11 CV", a catalogue I downloaded that shows those controls as an in period accessory. :cheers:

I tried to upload an extract from "Accessoires pour Citroen Traction Avant 7 & 11 CV", a catalogue I downloaded that shows those controls as an in period accessory. :cheers:

Hi Allen, Yes I have that catalogue as a download and you are of course correct. The switch is the "Commodo" type. It was fitted originally to
the A series of traction 7A 7S 11A.
I was unaware that it was offered as an optional accessory up until 1938 according to this catalogue.
There were certainly many weird and wonderful accessories on the market for these cars. Some more practical than others. A friend of mine had the boot extension panel shown on page 10. Now that could have been very useful apart from the fact that it never did seal properly and everything in the boot got wet!

Hanoi Citroens.
This photo was given to me by Janet Elliot. Janet makes regular trips to Vietnam and regularly stays at the hotel (not I don't know the name of it) but these are the limos for transporting guests.Hanoi Citroens 2.JPG

The hotel is the Metropole Sofitel----best hotel in Hanoi ----we love it.
We have been around Hanoi in the smaller traction ---was $50 USD for an hour w driver back in 2010. Think it costs more now.
There is a wine bar around the corner with a cream and red Traction out the front.

saw a couple there, they had jap running gear in them, most likely because spare parts would be easy to find

Have just rejoined after a prolonged absence, Seems my previous profile was lost. So thought would make this one my first post with a couple of the traction

P9240104.jpgP9240103.jpgP9240102.jpgP9240093.jpgP9240095.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
Nice ;)
IMHO they look even nicer than usual in two tone colours.
cheers Jaahn

My daughter's wedding and the wedding cars were a Light 15 and an 11BN

attachment.php

attachment.php

a beautiful day in every respect and the Tractions were very much appreciated by everyone.

traction1.jpgtraction2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to have this on the road... It's my father car (that we used as our wedding car).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• traction_polish 017.jpg
    traction_polish 017.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,310
  • traction_polish 020.jpg
    traction_polish 020.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,274