The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

Hmmm. I know a guy here in Oz who worked for a big oil company (really big). Someone in the US arm of the company with nothing better to do trawled his facebook account and found a picture of his in his high school years wearing a t-shirt with a quote form a popular TV cartoon series he considered offensive and reported him to the PR department who called the guy here to "purify" him in a manner not all that different to what I have seen in other countries under a regime considered totalitarian here. He deleted his facebook account quick smart but the bitter taste remains. Keep in mind, said picture was decades old at the time it was found and we live in another country! A, and said t-shirt quote would not raise an eyebrow here.

Now apart from my own views that may not be shared that it is not a companies' business to check what I get up to after ours or indeed what I used to get up to decades before I joined them, I learned from my wife that a lot of US viewers found a lot of objectionable things about the TV series Bluey (ABC kids)!

The whole pseudonym screen name thing is odd... Actually I'd like to change mine. Is that possible? I was originally mmm....corners, then lost that login somehow, now I'm lowpugv2... But my pug is no longer lowered, now that I'm an adult (well I tell my kids that so they listen... They don't). Meh, I'd just use my real name now!

The whole pseudonym screen name thing is odd... Actually I'd like to change mine. Is that possible? I was originally mmm....corners, then lost that login somehow, now I'm lowpugv2... But my pug is no longer lowered, now that I'm an adult (well I tell my kids that so they listen... They don't). Meh, I'd just use my real name now!
It is possible!

In user profile. Didn’t know that either, I can finally add a capital to the beginning of my username.

How good is Aussiefrogs.

Huzah!

I have never read so much BS before in my life. It is a normal Aussie thing for people to have "Nick Names", and now some idiot is saying we all got to be straight up and Identify ourselves. I am and will remain "geckoeng" Ray. Like I always sign off and stacks of people on here know who I am and who I will stay.

Ray

I have never read so much BS before in my life. It is a normal Aussie thing for people to have "Nick Names", and now some idiot is saying we all got to be straight up and Identify ourselves. I am and will remain "geckoeng" Ray. Like I always sign off and stacks of people on here know who I am and who I will stay.

Ray

I never said you or anyone else had to reveal their true identities. I merely pointed out the mystifying (to me, at least,) prevelance of pseudonyms on this site. It is unlikely that you and I will ever meet in person so you may consider your true identity safe for the time being. :spy:

P.S: A pseudonym is not the same as a nickname. ;)

Yeah nicknames are usually a bestowed approval in an Australian setting. But some can be cruel to the individual I was a bit shocked in my apprentice days when one of our group was called "feet" with some reference to his affinity with a bosses anatomy! It was only in reading through an account by a now deceased author that the complete circumstance was revealed and how wrong the suggestive comment was, so out of whack that the individual just accepted and lived with the nickname as a coming of age acceptance of him as an equal.
Army and other Service nicknames can be just as oddly misplaced and sometimes brutal to weed out individuals that no one can trust to protect their back, but also in time be a badge of honour as the person is rejudged as time progresses and deeds overwhelm initial knee jerk or just jerk assessments.:)

Sometimes a person's name suggests the appropriate nickname and "Lucky" could be a natural Kim..:LOL:

Regards
Ken:)

Yeah nicknames are usually a bestowed approval in an Australian setting. But some can be cruel to the individual I was a bit shocked in my apprentice days when one of our group was called "feet" with some reference to his affinity with a bosses anatomy! It was only in reading through an account by a now deceased author that the complete circumstance was revealed and how wrong the suggestive comment was, so out of whack that the individual just accepted and lived with the nickname as a coming of age acceptance of him as an equal.
Army and other Service nicknames can be just as oddly misplaced and sometimes brutal to weed out individuals that no one can trust to protect their back, but also in time be a badge of honour as the person is rejudged as time progresses and deeds overwhelm initial knee jerk or just jerk assessments.:)

Sometimes a person's name suggests the appropriate nickname and "Lucky" could be a natural Kim..:LOL:

Regards
Ken:)

If only it was based on fact! ;)

I have no problem with nicknames pseudonyms or real everyday names
Each to their own..... just like our cars.

I quickly got a new nickname when I started college in the '70s. Slightly derogatory, it turned out to be so well entrenched, that when my then girlfriend (now wife) introduced me to her parents for the first time, it was by that nickname.

This is the only place that I'm Buttercup and those who know me, also know how appropriate it is.

With a rare surname is very easy to be found. Bailiffs, police, debt collectors, estranged family, unknown offspring, stray dogs, mobs, thugs, even old rusty cars........
They all find me.

If only it was based on fact! ;)
Most of us are Lucky to be here Kim:LOL: and yes I recall one acquaintance who had the nickname "Lucky" as it was said he was the most unlucky person anyone knew, no one would go out in a storm with him on the golf course, as he was likely to be struck by lightning!:eek: lot of stories about his legendary ill-Luck!
Ken

I don’t want to use my name after a lifetime of correcting mispronunciations. I even have my family tell me my given name is not my real name (though not so much as the oldies shuffle off to join the choir invisibule).
Much better for me to have you all struggling to pronounce a pseudonym. 😉

Wait let me have a go..

Shi - Bu - Ichi!

Shee-Boo-Itchy!

close?

Wait let me have a go..

Shi - Bu - Ichi!

Shee-Boo-Itchy!

close?
🤣 Close enough.
Helps to pretend you’re wielding a katana in a Kurosawa film 😉

Ps. Re: YouTube @Bowie ... I love the jazz kids getting to know each other 👍

🤣 Close enough.
Helps to pretend you’re wielding a katana in a Kurosawa film 😉
Gasps! it's my yearly reminder to watch Seven Samurai! I keep trying to and, I think I've started it half a dozen times, this Christmas!

And speaking of Christmas, how great is that this place will live on! :)

I don’t want to use my name after a lifetime of correcting mispronunciations. I even have my family tell me my given name is not my real name (though not so much as the oldies shuffle off to join the choir invisibule).
Much better for me to have you all struggling to pronounce a pseudonym. 😉
Hehehehe. I feel your pain.

WLB are my initials. When I was at primary school, some of my mates called me LBW because I was hopeless at cricket. Couldn't hit a ball if my life depended on it. Later in my teens I covered that it was the same with golf. Hopeless. But I was good at tennis and badminton.
It wasn't until I was in my mid-20s that my uncle suggested that it might be because I had the same problem that he did. That was despite being right-handed, for anything involving both hands, I was left-handed. He asked me which shoulder I swung the axe over when chopping wood. My left shoulder was the answer. So he lent me his left-handed golf clubs; and guess what!

When you're a little kid and the sports teacher asks are you left or right handed, and you say right-handed. He then says, grasp the bat like this and face in this direction. So you do.

The conversation seems to have strayed a bit from the real topic - let's get back to it!
I'm also happy to contribute personally. I'm also happy to suggest to the RCCQ committee that the Club should also contribute an amount greater than an individual subscription. Other French car clubs may also consider contributing.
While the amount of individual subscriptions has been indicated, I really don't know the quantum that we need to collectively contribute. If we knew that, we could do some budgeting!

Reactions: WLB
I have a suspicion there will be some adjustment to the fee once we get started but I am happy to pay up to 100$/year and hope that will be enough.

These things are difficult to get right the first time, hopefully we are all willing to put our money where our collective mouth is.