S16 Rebuild

I hate inches, but anyway they look like 1, 1.25 and 2.75,

I have nearly new j4R rings here that might suite but they come in at 1.5, 1.75 and 3 mm

One bent rod will do that to you, I need to defer to someone who knows the s16 motor to verify

Last edited:
I think you'll find they're XX rings. ie Google 8650XX or look in the Total Seal catalogue.

Attachments

• wiseco 10686-7080 small.jpg
    wiseco 10686-7080 small.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Serco motorsports here in Brisbane stocked my 8350xx rings try locally making sure the ring height is correct for your S16 ie 1, 1.2 and 2.8mm

Go Wiseco they are 2/3 at least of what you need

86.50mm Single Piston Rings by Wiseco
Wiseco Sport compact kits include the high quality NPR XX rings, which are the best quality steel nitrided top rings and napier style 2nd rings. 3-Piece oil ring.

Features
86.50mm Bore
1.0mm Steel Nitrided Top Ring
1.2mm Napier Second Ring
3-Piece Oil Ring (no dimension but you don't need this)

Last edited:
Okay - got a single set from Serco so good to go.
Also got my rotating assembly back from balancing (a mob down my way sent all the bits up to seven hills).

Now, I’ve hit a weird one with numbering the pistons/rods with the right cylinder, especially because the main caps seem to be running opposite to the cylinder numbering.

So my rods were already engraved (from a previous owner). They had rod marked 4 at the flywheel end, which is next to main cap 1. Is the 4th cylinder at the flywheel?

Lastly, should I assume the balancer would assume the same (cylinder 1 at timing end, cylinder 4 at flywheel end). I wouldn’t want to go to all the effort to balancing it all and then put the wrong rod on the wrong crankshaft journal!

If the rods have been reconditioned and balanced, they're essentially identical, so put them in the correct holes for your own sanity. ie #1 next to flywheel.

I’m still a little confused. Isn’t the standard for most engines that number 1 cylinder is furthest from the flywheel?

Is Peugeot different? (those French like to be different).

My logic thinks that the balancer guy/girl would be using conventional engine cylinder nomination...

(The rods have been grinded in different spots but the small end bearing surfaces haven’t been touched)

On Peugeot engines #1 is next to the flywheel.

Guys, anyone quickly know what the mains beating clearance is for the s16 xu10j4... I’m worried this is too loose :(

They are glyco - so .100 may be okay according to this comment on

Attachments

• 16A3D42E-5330-4774-83B3-A81F7CD7C591.jpeg
    16A3D42E-5330-4774-83B3-A81F7CD7C591.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
So it's greater than 0.076mm (0.003")?

It was going well, until you drop a bloody big end cap and ruin the bearing... hmm, wouldn’t imagine glyco sell single bearings...

Attachments

• 90EE7C76-C200-4111-B922-7A7443639D10.jpeg
    90EE7C76-C200-4111-B922-7A7443639D10.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 207
Yes, it’s about 0.1, I used the red plastigauge to confirm.
It needs to be around 0.002". So you think it's approx. 0.004"? If so, you need to visit your crank grinding man and ask him to explain.

Are they standard or -0.3mm now?

I remember measuring with calipers (didn’t have a mic) before taking it in. I think I was getting 59.99 59.98 59.97 but with digital calipers it’s really hard to know how good those are.

Standard. The crank measured okay apparently and was just linished/polished. Will review those details too.

The French put the same engine in RWD and FWD configurations at least in Renaults AND engine in front of gearbox or behind it so counting from "the front" is not a reliable way to determine which is which.

Nothing wrong with that bearing, just oil some fine scotchbrite type thingo and gently polish whatever little burr there may be.