S16 Rebuild

you get 20 mikalor clamps from Baker for 7 quid which is cheaper than anything bunnings or supercheap can offer. I couldnt be bothered looking harder for a price cheaper than that. They got the smooth inside too, so its a more even pressure against the rubber.

though baker dont do any 306 hose kits so youre going to get done on shipping anyway.

Mingus,

thanks for the info . I have been a bit busy of late, "the boss" has just had a hip replacement.
Shall give Dapco a call, I have used them for a bit. :)

Updates:

Parts have come in. One cock-up was the purchasing of a single ball-joint instead of two. After having two balls for my entire life how could I forget this? SEE IMAGE

Next question (it could be cock-up number two). Head bolts are male torx instead of original female torx and spacer is also slightly thinner (and no bevel coming into the thread like on original). SEE IMAGE. I imagine it's fine given they are the same length and thread pitch, but thought I'd run it past you guys. I may have got XU10J4RS instead of the XU10J4. Thoughts? I like the idea of using a socket rather than a torx bit for better stability when torquing.

Lastly.Reconditioner has finished the head and says the block need boring. He says I need to source oversized pistons at 20 thou bigger before he starts. Does that sounds right? (So essentially .5mm bore) HEADACHE TIME. Where... and how muccccchh!? Shit. Suggestions? Options? (I'm open to upgrade options too now that I've come this far). What is official piston and ring diameter and stroke for this guy - I haven't thoroughly checked.)

MINGUS_MG_5746.jpgMINGUS_MG_5743.jpgMINGUS_MG_5744.jpgMINGUS_MG_5747.jpg

So I guess I'm looking for oversized 86.5. I've seen wiseco, wossner and others. Domed or flat.. This is when I feel I get a bit out of my depth... I'm definitely happy for increased compression :) but can see myself going over the top for little gain.

At the moment it's fast street, but I'm not gentle with it, up near 7000 all the time.

You can get Mahle replacement pistons fairly cheaply. Contact Chez00 on here. Otherwise, ring up a Wiseco dealer and part with the money. The part number for a flat top in 86.50mm is 10686-3645. It's an otherwise straight replacement of the original. If you want more compression, the best way is to skim the block, which also improves squish distance. You can take up to 1mm.

That's correct with the head bolts. The R/RS version is all that seams to be around now.

Trying to make sense of Chez00's posts.

On one thread (
icon1.gif
Xu10j4 rebuild) he says "I ordered the Wiseco ones mentioned above. US$677 including rings and freight to me. They had to make them so there's a 4 week wait....I found these after a little searching: see part number K422M865C

Import Performance Parts - Citroen Wiseco Pistons" These ones didn't come with the notches - whether this was a supplier issue or not I'm not sure.

AND then he says this in another thread (Richard's 205 GTi6 project)
"I ended up getting forged Wiseco pistons in 86.5mm for my project. They were about the same cost as Mahle cast 86.6mm OEM replacement, (US$588 with rings - can't quite remember freight costs) but they took 6 weeks to make. I got them from flatlanderracing.com, part # K422M865C"

I'm confussssleeed

I'd just buy the Wiseco pistons.

Yes the notches are a must as that will add to your builder's labour charge. I've shot you a pm with some details. You need to clarify with the supplier if the Pistons will be notched. Pretty sure Mahle's are NLA.

The number I gave you has them notched.

Pistons should be arriving in the next two weeks. I was a bit of duck and forgot how ordinary the AU dollar is compared to the States and they came in approx $900 dropped. Oh boy. Flatlanders service dept was horrific until I kicked up a stink. If you're after something, go straight to Tanya and bypass the tech dept who don't know how to conduct civil and detailed communication. Solid beam mounts should drop next week too from cams16v (faststock nz).

Okay. Developments. I've put in some annual leave to get the new donk and stuff in the spare s16 (rebuild shell). It's been bored, decked and pretty much ready to go. However... I'm missing one part. The S16 plastic inlet manifold. Yes, my spare one popped too, just last week on my current S16. So it's really time to retire her. She's degrading quickly!

It's going to be a tricky find I feel. Anyone got one lying about. Come on, someone must have swapped for the GTI6 and has one!

Good work. Which piston part number did you end up ordering?