Regan Peugeot 605 and 605 roll call

I don't think the 605 arrived when JRA were importing/marketing Peugeot here. Not sure when JRA was wound up, but by 1992 Peugeot Concessionaires Australia was effectively under the auspices of Inchape. It gets confusing because the importer Tozer Kemsley and Milbourne - TKM (Volkswagen/Audi and others) was taken over by Inchape (Subaru importer since 1989)at about the same time, and both Inchape and TKM were running out of head offices at the same location at Wetherill Park. I remember visiting there a few times in around 1991-95, when there was a Subaru office and VW office. Not sure where Peugeot HQ was at that point, but I think at the same place.
I know TKM/Inchcape did some weird and wonderful ordering of cars back then, at least for VW/SEAT. I'll have to check, but pretty sure the 605 Phase 2 production only started Aug 1994 as a MY1995. There are quite a few Phase 1 cars here. So I think that the 18 605s in 1994 were probably Ph1. So far the Ph 2s I've seen are late 1994 build.

I am the first to admit that I do not recall who the importers were in 1994, but I would have to disagree with BigRR about all 48 being S2.

Mine was made late 94, forget which month but it was 10 or 12, and it is a series 1, sadly, which also tends to contradict what Sans_sagesse says above.

July is usually the start of the next model year. So in theory Phase-II facelift production would have started July 1994 as a 1995 model year.
Could your Ph 1 have been complianced in Australia late 1994?

July is usually the start of the next model year. So in theory Phase-II facelift production would have started July 1994 as a 1995 model year.
Could your Ph 1 have been complianced in Australia late 1994?
Wow! An actual dispute about 605 history (rather than the uninformed abuse that Patrick used to get)!!!

In 2016 I asked how many were in regular use - here is a link to that thread: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...on-how-many-605s-still-in-regular-use.121259/ Among Aussie Froggers, it seemed that addo & I completed the list, but there were tantalising references to others, eg "a white Series 1 which was locally delivered" mentioned by Stalled.

My 605 is 200 km away, so I can't check the PSA plate for the build date, BUT I have the VIN with me. Using that I obtained the RPO number - 6471 - from which I can determine the build date - 27 July 1994. So that fits your theory!

Wow! An actual dispute about 605 history (rather than the uninformed abuse that Patrick used to get)!!!

In 2016 I asked how many were in regular use - here is a link to that thread: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...on-how-many-605s-still-in-regular-use.121259/ Among Aussie Froggers, it seemed that addo & I completed the list, but there were tantalising references to others, eg "a white Series 1 which was locally delivered" mentioned by Stalled.

My 605 is 200 km away, so I can't check the PSA plate for the build date, BUT I have the VIN with me. Using that I obtained the RPO number - 6471 - from which I can determine the build date - 27 July 1994. So that fits your theory!
Well, a sort-of dispute. I am often wrong.

Ooh, but you found the build date for your car to the day? How did you find that, Alec? I paid for a 24h sub on Servicebox and got all sorts of info on my car, took screenshots. I'll have to have a other look, but don't remember it having the exact build date. Anyway, mine's a 12/94 build, 03/95 compliance, 8/05/95 delivery.

I wonder how many shipments there were of the Phase 2 cars, and how many batches they made. Maybe July 1994 and December 1994 batches? It would be interesting to know (well, for me, probably no-one else!).

I had a look at that 2016 link, have read it before I'm sure. Good grist for the mill - thank you. I must get around to collating as much info as I can, but where to put it? Do we want names of owners on a public site? Is it okay to put in the VINs? I think VIN/colour/build date at least is ok. It's not like 605s are the target of rebirthing scams, surely? And most newer cars have their VIN clearly visible anyway.

That white Phase 1 mentioned in Surrey Hills, Sydney is possibly the one on Wikipedia. Those photos were also on someone's pintrest page, noted as taken on a street in Surrey Hills. That car had the same rego no as the one I looked at in Five Dock for sale at a dealer 2.5 yrs ago (I googled 'peugeot 605' at the time I saw the ad, and the same car came up on wiki etc). So I assume it is the same car Stalled mentioned. The car was actually parked next to McDonalds at the time and locked up, so I only had a look around it. It looked as if it has spend a lot of time outside, but was pretty straight. The salesman I spoke to said he had lots of interest in the car, in particular a woman in country NSW. But who knows, dealers can say lots of things.

Well, a sort-of dispute. I am often wrong.

Ooh, but you found the build date for your car to the day? How did you find that, Alec? I paid for a 24h sub on Servicebox and got all sorts of info on my car, took screenshots. I'll have to have a other look, but don't remember it having the exact build date. Anyway, mine's a 12/94 build, 03/95 compliance, 8/05/95 delivery.

Ah well, you see the secret is not to pay...

I log on to Public SerrviceBox with my old username & password, then I put in the VIN -so far so good, it brings up "605 4 DOOR SALOON 2.9 i V6 12v 170 Auto gearbox 4" beside the VIN (BTW - I have had to use Edge today, after having trouble with both Chrome & Firefox).

Now the fun starts! I click on "Characteristics" and of course I get "Caracteristics are not accessible without Subscription." Now change or just refresh the language selection (bottom RH corner), et Voila! Les Caracteristics sont visible!

Now look at the top block of info. The Vehicle Family is "605" (which we already knew) and the warranty start date is "1/01/1990" (no help). In between these two is "Build code" - which in my case is 6471. Googling "Peugeot build code" quickly reveals that this is in fact the RPO or ORGA. Here's a useful translation page: https://www.mittns.de/core/orga-rechner-en/ . Stick in the 4 digit code, and out comes a date!!!

Note: sadly the language change trick only works with the Characteristics.

The silver 605 in Bundaberg is a Phase 1 model with the long indicators in the bumper and is complete but parts car as it has been sitting for a few years, The original owner purchased two at the same time, both silver.

Ah well, you see the secret is not to pay...

I log on to Public SerrviceBox with my old username & password, then I put in the VIN -so far so good, it brings up "605 4 DOOR SALOON 2.9 i V6 12v 170 Auto gearbox 4" beside the VIN (BTW - I have had to use Edge today, after having trouble with both Chrome & Firefox).

Now the fun starts! I click on "Characteristics" and of course I get "Caracteristics are not accessible without Subscription." Now change or just refresh the language selection (bottom RH corner), et Voila! Les Caracteristics sont visible!

Now look at the top block of info. The Vehicle Family is "605" (which we already knew) and the warranty start date is "1/01/1990" (no help). In between these two is "Build code" - which in my case is 6471. Googling "Peugeot build code" quickly reveals that this is in fact the RPO or ORGA. Here's a useful translation page: https://www.mittns.de/core/orga-rechner-en/ . Stick in the 4 digit code, and out comes a date!!!

Note: sadly the language change trick only works with the Characteristics.
That's really cool. My build code is 6603, which on the ORGA translation page you linked shows as Wednesday 7 December 1994.
BTW, my car shows its warranty start date (on Servicebox) as per the warranty/service booklet, 9/5/95.
I have a couple other 605 VINs from local ads that I'll see if I can plug in the way you did.

Ok, but what if Servicebox doesn't accept user Id and password? Any ideas?

I love disputes, and the older I get the better/crankier I get at them (Ask the bloke next door).
If I think I may be wrong I just try not to enter into arguments.
Because of this post I have been looking through my 605 photos, bits and pieces. Still sitting here wondering why I would sell a great sorted car like the one I owned for 11 years????? I actually sold it on aussiefrogs, a couple of hours after it was advertised.
Yes Inchcape was importing 605's Not as I mistakenly said PSA.
The man that told me only 48 series 2 cars were imported by Peugeot Concessionaires/Aust (?) was a Michael Megahey (Spelling?) he was their technical Guru around 1998, so he may have been wrong (?). There certainly was however numbers of series 1 605's around.
The Peugeot 605 Australian Specifications Brochure I have for the Series 2 605 is dated November 1994. Does anyone have any Australian publications on a Series 1?
My 605 was Built May 1995 and complianced October 1995 Registered March 1996. Vin VF36BUFZ491021703 Eng #0052457
I believe (Was told) most 605's were sold in Qld. Mine came from the Gold Coast.
I sold it March 2010 to a Mrs Cusack and have not seen it since.

Last edited:
Ok, but what if Servicebox doesn't accept user Id and password? Any ideas?
If you've already tried the "Forgotten your password" route, then maybe register a new account? The button's just under the Password field.

I love disputes, and the older I get the better/crankier I get at them (Ask the bloke next door).
If I think I may be wrong I just try not to enter into arguments.
Because of this post I have been looking through my 605 photos, bits and pieces. Still sitting here wondering why I would sell a great sorted car like the one I owned for 11 years????? I actually sold it on aussiefrogs, a couple of hours after it was advertised.
Yes Inchcape was importing 605's Not as I mistakenly said PSA.
The man that told me only 48 series 2 cars were imported by Peugeot Concessionaires/Aust (?) was a Michael Megahey (Spelling?) he was their technical Guru around 1998, so he may have been wrong (?). There certainly was however numbers of series 1 605's around.
The Peugeot 605 Australian Specifications Brochure I have for the Series 2 605 is dated November 1994. Does anyone have any Australian publications on a Series 1?
My 605 was Built May 1995 and complianced October 1995 Registered March 1996. Vin VF36BUFZ491021703 Eng #0052457
I believe (Was told) most 605's were sold in Qld. Mine came from the Gold Coast.
I sold it March 2010 to a Mrs Cusack and have not seen it since.
Thanks Big RR, I hope you don't mind I dove in with your ex-605's VIN. I just had a crack at it using Alec's method. 11 May 1995 build, Sorrento Green with beige leather and sunroof.
That's three different build dates now, just for Phase II. Three different batches? Or maybe more. Interesting...

And Neal's Volcano Red 1994 605 was built 15 September 1994. 'Fixed roof' (no sunroof?) but with leather seats in the specs. The first so far with no s'roof.

Sorry - mine doesn't have a sunroof. Other than that I think it has all the fruit - V6 auto, heated (front only) leather seats, climate control, headlight washers etc...

I would have thought that all local-spec cars were the same, in having everything single thing that the importers could make a quid out of. That was just simple economics for that model.

Am glad that someone can read the VINs, because of the half a dozen VINs from different cars that I have tried on half a dozen VIN reader sites, every one of them says 2009 year model.

I consulted my brochure collection. I have a French S2 one dated 07-94, although it may have been published before the illustrated model was on the streets, and an Australian spec sheet dated Feb 1995, showing the S2. It was issued by Peugeot Concessionaires Australia.

The only listed options were ´´Full leather upholstery (includes storage compartment in the rear armrest)´´ and ´´Electric glass slide & tilt sunroof´´.

If I get my finger out I may scan it and post it.

Yes forgot about the rear armrest with the secret compartment - and the skin hatch!

Sorry - mine doesn't have a sunroof. Other than that I think it has all the fruit - V6 auto, heated (front only) leather seats, climate control, headlight washers etc...
So we have 5 Ph2 cars, two with sunroof and three without. All built on different dates. The last one I checked last night was from an ad in I think a pccv magazine in 2013. It was advertised as a '96 model with 300,000km. From the VIN I saw it was made within a week of Alec's car in 1994, Sorrento Green, no sunroof. Without seeing the compliance plate, it's hard to know why it was advertised as first sold in 1996. Maybe it did hang around in bond for 2 years before being complianced/sold - that happened a bit back then with other brands.
So far all have had the leather seats option, all the Impala Beige.
So far all but mine have a (presumably) default warranty start date on Servicebox of 01/01/1990. Maybe some dealers were more diligent in filling out the paperwork, I don't know; maybe someone else knows how the warranty system worked back then.
I think the leather and sunroof were options as some don't like these in their cars. Just a guess. I would have thought to ease complexity, all Aus spec would be the same, but obviously not. I also thought that they would be built in large batches (maybe 10-20 at a time, running down the assy line all together). From the dates so far, it's suggesting probably not...
I should probaby start a spreadsheet for all this info. You never know when info you take for granted online just disappears. I have access to archived Peugeot press releases... but they only go back to 1999. The internet wasn't really a thing until about then and Autonews I think only started in 1998/99.