20+ years on - how many 605s still in regular use?

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I believe this year (2016) marks 20 years since the last new 605s were sold in Australia :cry:. There used to be some regular chat about 605s (alas much lost in the godaddy crash), but no-one seems to talk about them now.

So am I the only one still using my 605 for regular transport?

Addo's seems to have ongoing issues, PJ810, BIGRR, margburg505 and smallpugssuck all sold theirs, Pugrambo couldn't afford the fuel. Ikenna351 seems to have swapped his for a 406 :(.

dino was making good progress (BTW - where is dino?), but is he driving his? What about Salman?

My old grey battle ship is not pretty (original owner had a stroke and left it with scars that haven't buffed out - yet :rolleyes:), but she regularly does the 200km 'commute' from Armidale to Tenterfield. Uses little or no oil or water, auto & power steering work as they should, climate control is effective - even has original radio and CD stacker (which works when it feels like it). Fuel economy on trips about 9l/100km.

Must be others out there - let us know how your 'splendid car' (aka 'lounge room on wheels') is going in 2016 :).

Cheers

Alec

Mine is used intermittently and driven fairly hard when it is. Next week it will be getting a change of front shocks (temporary) while I rebuild the originals. It's registered and insured, I would consider swapping it for a 604 or Rolls/Bentley but nothing else.

Mine too, uses little to no oil or water on longer runs. Most of its "issues" stem from abuse at a car yard or previous mechanical nincompoopery.

Last edited:
" I would consider swapping it (the 605) for a 604 or Rolls/Bentley but nothing else." :- addo you have no taste! :(

Not that I have to justify it, but I like one comfy barge in the fleet and it needs to be in a traditional colour/trim (eg a deep red, dark green or royal blue) - excluding black or white cars, too. I would only consider a black 605 or 604 if the colour were original and it had a red, cream or biscuit interior.

Mine is used intermittently and driven fairly hard when it is. Next week it will be getting a change of front shocks (temporary) while I rebuild the originals. It's registered and insured, I would consider swapping it for a 604 or Rolls/Bentley but nothing else.

Mine too, uses little to no oil or water on longer runs. Most of its "issues" stem from abuse at a car yard or previous mechanical nincompoopery.

This is great to hear Adam! Regarding everyone else - looks like it's just as I feared! Of course there may be the odd one pottering around Cessnock :D.

I know one living in Surry Hills which is still in regular use. Car is a white Series 1 which was locally delivered...

He last posted in August 2015, and the 605 was still listed in his sig then...

Well, well, well - here's something you don't see every day! So mine's not the only one still on the road :).

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-launceston/cars-vans-utes/1995-peugeot-605-sedan/1207306328

Quote from ad: "THESE CARS ARE QUITE RARE IN AUST. (OVER $70.000 WHEN NEW IN 95 ) AND SOUGHT AFTER."
I agree about the rarity, but sought after? We'll see...

Wish mine looked as nice - time hasn't been kind to it's appearance (but mechanically it has been very good)!

When I bought mine (in Deepwater, NSW), I found that it's first owner was an undertaker from Launceston, Tasmania. I also learned that only 2 (yes two) 605s were sold new in Tasmania, one in Hobart (to a Dr. I think) and one in Launceston - which I assume is mine.

However, lo and behold, this car is in Launceston, and appears to be still wearing it's original Tasmanian number plate (according to my interpretation of info provided by Wikipedia, the plate would date from the mid-90s). Perhaps the owner of the car originally sold in Hobart now lives in Lonnie :confused:, or perhaps as many as 3 x 605s were sold in Tassie!! Might have to ring the owner and have a chat...

Cheers

Alec

When I bought mine (in Deepwater, NSW), I found that its first owner was an undertaker from Launceston, Tasmania. I also learned that only 2 (yes two) 605s were sold new in Tasmania, one in Hobart (to a Dr. I think) and one in Launceston - which I assume is mine.
That bothers me just a little! One car owned by a doctor. The other owned by an undertaker.
Hmmm.

I hope that the two people weren't related, and/or the second one was burying the mistakes of the first!

More seriously, and a bit related, my brother once bought a Humber Super Snipe Series V from an undertaker. It was quite a number of years old when he purchased it - more than 10 - but that car was immaculate. I'm sad to read that your 605 hasn't stood the test of time when it comes to the appearance.

One of my friends in Wagga Wagga owned a 605 for a time. I know that he sold it (and wasn't very happy that he had to), but I don't remember when, or to whom. I shall endeavour to find out.

Cheers,
Andrew

That Tassie 605... I actually asked my parents to enquire on my behalf. They're in Launceston at the moment on holiday. Hoping they put it on a boat... Unlikely though as the owner hasn't responded to their calls yet.

One of my friends in Wagga Wagga owned a 605 for a time. I know that he sold it (and wasn't very happy that he had to), but I don't remember when, or to whom. I shall endeavour to find out.
I kept forgetting to ask my friend about the sale of his 605, but finally remembered the other day.

He sold it ‘long distance’, to someone either on the north coast of NSW or in Queensland. He hasn’t kept track of it and has no idea what happened to it.

Sorry for the lack of information about it.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

On the bright side of things, this same friend bought for himself a silver coloured December 1994 605 from a seller in, I think, Ringwood, in Melbourne, about two weeks ago.

He was assured that the car was roadworthy, with only the front brakes being a possible problem.

Well, the front brakes are definitely a problem. The rotors are below minimum thickness and the pads are worn. And the pedal is spongy. Obviously he was able to tell on the test drive that the pedal was spongy, but it is not that easy to tell that the rotors are below minimum thickness.

And the RWC tester in Wodonga rejected the roadworthy on the grounds that the centre muffler has burnt out. (From my perspective, the car isn’t noisy, but I can’t see under the car, nor can I tell that the muffler has burnt out. But it seems to me like a harsh judgement.)

I got to drive the car on Tuesday, and my goodness, what a car! Why did these cars not sell? Yes, I know that they had some problems, but still. For the early to mid 1990s, this is some car.

Dame Elizabeth Murdock told Kellow Falkiners [ROLLER /BENTLY AND OTHER POMMIE ??/,STUFF...AND PUGS AND RENAULT where I KNEW THE DIFFERENCE...NOT HARD] was in fact offered a brand new roller for her considerable humanitarian efforts.She had Peugeots for a very long time.
DAME ELIZABETHS RESPONSE...NO THANKYOU GENTLEMAN..PEUGEOTS ARE RATED AS A SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER VEHICLE THAT A ROLLER...Said Lady used to take her Pug into Basils Workshop to Service while she answered his phone.She was a real character.....OH REASON I STARTED THIS..DID YOU SEE THE LOVELY 605 FOR SALE IN VIC .RECENTLY.

THAT WAS THE CAR...certainly worth spending a few sheckles on.
PEUGEOTS BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT ,AS YET...NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN PREPARED TO TAKE THE BULLS BY THE HORNS,FROM My EXPERIENCE.....I have been told by 2 sources that Inchcape are stirring things up..We will see.

ONE OF THEIR CHIEFS IS ON HIS WAY SOON..TO SAY HELLO TRULY HOPE HE HAS EYES TO SEE.

On the bright side of things, this same friend bought for himself a silver coloured December 1994 605 from a seller in, I think, Ringwood, in Melbourne, about two weeks ago.

He was assured that the car was roadworthy, with only the front brakes being a possible problem.

Well, the front brakes are definitely a problem. The rotors are below minimum thickness and the pads are worn. And the pedal is spongy. Obviously he was able to tell on the test drive that the pedal was spongy, but it is not that easy to tell that the rotors are below minimum thickness.

And the RWC tester in Wodonga rejected the roadworthy on the grounds that the centre muffler has burnt out. (From my perspective, the car isn’t noisy, but I can’t see under the car, nor can I tell that the muffler has burnt out. But it seems to me like a harsh judgement.)
I got to drive the car on Tuesday, and my goodness, what a car! Why did these cars not sell? Yes, I know that they had some problems, but still. For the early to mid 1990s, this is some car.

Noisy mufflers and worn brakes are par for the course when you buy a 20+ yr old car - I had the same experience with an XM I bought earlier this year (and with my 605 when I bought it 10 years ago). The rotors on the XM were so thin I really don't know how it had been passing rego for the last 5+ years! The brake pedal shouldn't be spongy - I think your friend should start by getting the brake fluid changed (which will involve bleeding each wheel, so that should eliminate any air). He might also need to investigate replacing the flexible brake lines. HEL Performance made new (braided steel) ones for me - hopefully they've kept the specifications for future customers!

My 605 came with a very poor service history - more a history of neglect - but a policy of 'overservicing' on my part has been rewarded. Shiny paint and excellent upholstery does not equate to mechanical perfection. My advice to your friend would be to assume (unless he has receipts to prove otherwise) that his 'new' 25 year old 605 is overdue for a thorough service. The good news is that there is no timing belt! However he should at least check, and/or change:

* Engine oil and filter
* Air & fuel filters
* Spark plugs and plug leads
* Coolant
* Ancillary belts (I think there are 3). Power steering belt is particularly prone to squealing
* Auto transmission fluid (this may need repeating several times at short intervals) - make sure filter (strainer) is cleaned
* Power steering fluid (just as important as the others)
* Brake rotors and pads (don't forget it has drum rear brakes for the hand brake - inside the rear disk rotor for the foot brake)
* Brake fluid
* Radiator cooling fans - both should come on at low speed at about 90C, and when air conditioning is operating

** Others please add things I have forgotten

I have not had problems with exhaust pipes as such, but all mufflers have been replaced. DO NOT allow the muffler man to put a cheap hot-dog in place of the middle muffler - it will produce an annoying droning noise just at the speed you want to cruise at.

I strongly recommend that your friend should acquire an ignition module and a distributor cap as spares - he will need one or other (or both) sooner or later. A faulty ignition module will play up when the engine is hot; the distributor cap will do the same initially, then as it get worse the engine will misfire at any temperature. Don't rely on 2nd hand parts for these two - they are essentially consumables, and 2nd hand ones will probably fail soon after you fit them (guess how I know this)!

If the aircon ever needs regassing, make sure the mechanic checks the pressures, as I have a theory that the weight of gas specified in tables used by mechanics is too low - too little gas leads to inadequate cooling.

My 605 just started almost instantly after 8 weeks in cold storage - left to overwinter in a large, dry, but unheated shed on the Northern Tablelands (and 59 Floride will tell you how cold the winters are up here). The old girl is far from perfect (leather seats rather hard - despite application of several leather dressings - and stitching is starting to go, speedo takes 10+ km to 'warm up' before it works, various dents and scratches - some from hitting roos), but it is still a wonderful relaxing cruiser.

I have to say that when I first got my 605, it didn't seem all that special. It's the kind of car that you appreciate more the longer you own it, and the longer the trip. If your friend finds his car a bit underpowered, tell him to check the throttle cable free play. There's a story there if any one is interested...

Cheers

Alec

Last edited: