Regan Peugeot 605 and 605 roll call

Sans_sagesse

Fellow Frogger
I was wondering if anyone would happen to have a photo taken at Regan Motors showroom that might include my red ex-Regan 605? Through Peugeot club contacts, I have found out that while it was stored out of the way downstairs for many years, it was displayed in the showroom for a period, maybe 5-10 years ago?

A Peugeot 605 isn't the sort of car that would be seared in one's memory, or considered much at all even by Peugeot enthusiasts. So I'm not really expecting anything here.

Many seem to know of this car, just hard to get much concrete info or stories about its early years or any pics. Did get to speak to a nice fellow who told me he worked at the dealership for a while maybe 10 years ago, and whose job it was to take it for a run occasionally. He couldn't tell me much more.

Internet searches and looking at old club mags online have not brought any result (except for a bit of chat here on Aussiefrogs a year or so ago). I can't find any Regan showroom pics pre the ownership takeover in around late 2019.

Next step is to try looking at classifieds in The Age, to see if perhaps it was advertised, but it seems hard to find for that era of The Age (pre-2006, at least). Plus I don't know its original rego no, it isn't written down anywhere (the fellow I bought it from had it on Vic club plates).

I have been trying to put together a list of how many of the 48 sold still might exist too. That's not looking good either! I know of 4 others running for sure, and about 3 wrecked/parts cars. Plus Patrick's SV24 private import, wrecked in 2007 (I'd love the wheels from that car, but long gone I bet!)

Hello Sans. As mentioned to you recently, I have one that is currently being restored. It is that burgundy colour and should be on the road in the foreseeable future.

Pugrambo has one, he should pipe up soon, and there may be one in Cessnock. It would be good to get an idea of how many left, I had the same thought myself recently.

The 605 entry in wikpedia shows a white with NSW rego, and has a towbar, as does mine. I think I know who used to own it, not sure where it ended up.

Dijon16, did you buy the one in this For Sale post? https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/for-sale-peugeot-collection.144840/ The paintwork looks so good in the photos I asked the seller when it had been resprayed! He was quite sure it was original.

Surely Mike(?) Goodwin in Cessnock would still have several? Pretty sure he got PJ810's (Patrick) in 2011 (not Pat's original imported one).

What about addo? He last posted in July 2016, but wonder of wonders, it appears he was having a poke around the site last Tuesday morning. He definitely had at least one 605 in 2016.

Dino had one at one point, but I know he moved it on.

smallpugssuck, a resident of BrisVegas, had one 10 years or so ago. Have a feeling he moved it on, but may be worth messaging to see if he knows where it went. I note that he rejoined in 2017 - possibly (like me) his original username (and all associated posts) disappeared in the great GoDaddy crash of 2010.

marburg505 is another former owner. He lists Wellington NSW as an alternative residence, so maybe pugrambo's came from him?

BIGRR might know who now has his.

My grey one is one of only two sold new in Tasmania. Mine is the Launceston car. The other Tassie car (white?) came up for sale in February 2019 - it was also in Launceston at the time, but I believe it had belonged to a doctor in Hobart. Don;t know where it went.

Have just remembered - a beautifully maintained one came up for sale in Qld maybe a decade ago. I believe it was dark blue, and the owner had treated it like a Roller, for example having new door seals fitted to keep it like new. I believe it might have been on eBay, as I wanted to bid, but the ad disappeared very quickly. One issue that sticks in my mind was that supposedly all service records and hand books had disappeared (seemed odd). Might have been Patrick (PJ810) that knew something about it.

By my counting that still only makes 13 (allowing for 2 in Cessnock + addo having 2), of which we only know of 4 with any certainty.

Fuelman, would you have any pics of your car? Phase 1 or 2?

Alec, thanks for the summary of ones you know about -- I have been searching Aussiefrogs for all the threads on the 605 and it's been interesting. There was a real following at one stage, died off a bit since then. I don't know if a 605 register as such would be worth it. The 604 one above hasn't been touched for 3 years.

Basically there's pugrambo, you, me, dijon - and the red Ph2 in Vic that belonged to Neal (who sadly passed away recently) and is/was for sale recently by his son. So that's five alive and well as of now or at least in the last few months. Plus Fuelman's above - so six?

Anyway, couple more 'maybes' I know of:
A dark blue Ph2 was for sale in NSW about 3-5 years ago. In Sydney's north?
A white Ph1 (the car that appears on the Wiki page) came up for sale about 2.5 years ago with white on black 5-digit plates and all at a used dealer in Five Dock. I went to look at it. No idea where it went. I've seen photos of a silver Ph2 on the net but no rego plate, no info, but very much appears to be in Australia.

Two more at a wrecker's in Melbourne.

Also a red Ph2 identical to mine was the press car in 1995, appeared in Wheels in a one-page review. Checked the (NSW) rego no and it was deregistered in about 1999. I vaguely remember seeing it when new, when my boss had a slew of Peugeot press cars.
Patrick's second 605 was a white Ph2. I might see if Mike still has it.

There is a very keen PCCQ member, Richard, that lives in the Redlands area of Brisbane has a 605 sedan and a very well executed 605 Ute. He has many other Peugeots and keeps them all in beautiful condition.

Fuelman, would you have any pics of your car? Phase 1 or 2?

Alec, thanks for the summary of ones you know about -- I have been searching Aussiefrogs for all the threads on the 605 and it's been interesting. There was a real following at one stage, died off a bit since then. I don't know if a 605 register as such would be worth it. The 604 one above hasn't been touched for 3 years.

Patrick used to generate a lot of heat with his passionate promotion (& defence) of the 605. I didn't know there was such a thing until I read his posts, and I'm sure it was due to him that I took the risk on mine. Sadly most of his posts were between 2006 and 2010...

I'd forgotten about the ute! And that Richard has a sedan, obliquely mentioned here and there on the net when referencing the ute conversion.

geedee, do you happen to know who owns the silver 605, or if it's a Phase 1 or 2 (easiest way to tell is Phase 1 has long rectangular indicators in the front bumper; Phase 2 instead has them integrated with the front fog light assembly)

The Australian Phase 2 leaflet lists 'full' leather interior and sunroof as options. Does anyone know if any actually came without these options, and were they Ph1 or 2?

I was wondering if anyone would happen to have a photo taken at Regan Motors showroom that might include my red ex-Regan 605? Through Peugeot club contacts, I have found out that while it was stored out of the way downstairs for many years, it was displayed in the showroom for a period, maybe 5-10 years ago?

A Peugeot 605 isn't the sort of car that would be seared in one's memory, or considered much at all even by Peugeot enthusiasts. So I'm not really expecting anything here.

Many seem to know of this car, just hard to get much concrete info or stories about its early years or any pics. Did get to speak to a nice fellow who told me he worked at the dealership for a while maybe 10 years ago, and whose job it was to take it for a run occasionally. He couldn't tell me much more.

Internet searches and looking at old club mags online have not brought any result (except for a bit of chat here on Aussiefrogs a year or so ago). I can't find any Regan showroom pics pre the ownership takeover in around late 2019.

Next step is to try looking at classifieds in The Age, to see if perhaps it was advertised, but it seems hard to find for that era of The Age (pre-2006, at least). Plus I don't know its original rego no, it isn't written down anywhere (the fellow I bought it from had it on Vic club plates).

I have been trying to put together a list of how many of the 48 sold still might exist too. That's not looking good either! I know of 4 others running for sure, and about 3 wrecked/parts cars. Plus Patrick's SV24 private import, wrecked in 2007 (I'd love the wheels from that car, but long gone I bet!)
Dear Sans_Geese

As requested. I saw this in the showroom at Regan's in 2019 and again last year with the Previous Owner. A lovely car. Was almost tempted myself as I used to own an XM.

I hope this photo helps you.

Regards Syd

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_121500.jpg
    IMG_20190404_121500.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 243
Alec, in a word, no. Mine was not advertised. It is a 1994 model. I would rather have had a series 2, but beggars can´t be choosers. Love those 406V6-style wheels on the S2.

With only 12 valves, maybe I should change my name to Dijon12.

The M in Cessnock is Malcolm, I think he has one but cannot speak for him.

Richard in Qld has 2, and I think he had 2 others that are no more, but again cannot speak for him.

Thinking of buying Neal's but I hate sunroofs and leather seats so probably not.

I'm wondering if there is any interest in trying to formalise a list of 605s left in Australia. I am not sure what that would look like, but perhaps like Bruce's GS register. Car, VIN, last known owner's name, perhaps? Or a sticky above, like that for the 604? Or none of the above. I feel a bit ambivalent about it now TBH, but there might come a day where I think, wish I did that. Finding cars or parts might be easier.

For a baseline of officially imported cars, I have a book called 1998 Black & White Data Book - The Official Australian Automotive Industry Directory.

This book lists Peugeot 605 new registrations in Australia thus:
1994 - 18
1995 - 22
1996 - 8

This suggests the bulk were Phase 2 cars, but who knows? Some Phase 1s could easily have sold into 1995 (or even '96), given the 605 was a slow seller.

I used to get the B&W DB yearly around that time - stupidly I've thrown out other editions. In any case, there is some useful historical info in the one I have (it feels odd to consider anything 605-related historical, but the car was first launched 33 years ago!) including officially recorded new registrations as above.

I don't trust these numbers completely, but it's the best we've got. PAXUS then VFACTs were a bit random with their accounting of models back then. I think it was up to the m'facturer/distributor how or where the cars were counted; for example, some years 405/505 were counted together. Other marques did similar things. Citroen even gave XM numbers split between sedans and hatchbacks some years (love to see those 'sedans'!)

They were a lovely car. I remember almost buying a maroon one from Regans one in '94 but opted for a top range 405 instead.
IIRC at the time, the 605 was 75k+ and the 405 was 54k. Both cars were almost exactly the same spec in terms of bits.
The PRV(?) V6 didn't have much extra perfomance over the 405's 2.0 but the cabin was much roomier, especially in the back.
I think that they looked so similar hurt 605 sales. It was hard to justify an extra 20k.
The 605 is another wonderful Peugeot from their golden era.
You guys are very lucky to have them.

I must have known that I would always end up with a 605 as I have kept every brochure and write-up I found in the last 30 years.

Yes their sales were hurt first of all by lack of differentiation from the 405, and then by the gremlins of the Series1. The facelift was a much better car, but certainly by then the damage was done, and if sales were a heart patient they would be calling for the defib.

In hindsight I may have been better paying a bit extra and getting the one that Nigel is selling.

M Sans_sagesse I would be happy to assist you in the creation and/or maintenance of a 605 register. How hard could it be? It would only have a max of 48 entries.

I have been told that the importers, was it JRA at the time, would only bring in the series 2 when all the S1 were sold. I would suspect that those numbers are fairly accurate, and that all the 1994 were S1 and the rest are S2.

Once the mm/yy of manufacture is recorded, I guess along with compliance, then the picture will become clearer.

Attachments

• 605.jpg
    605.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 96
I have an old photo copy of Glass's hand book showing only Series 2 (Rounded styling) cars sold from March 1994 till September 1996 (unchanged).
1994 list price $74,995, 1995 $78,995 and 1996 $59,995!
JRA advised me also that they had only imported 48 cars all series 2. (Don't know where the Series 1's came from).