Little Silver 205GTI

It's going to be good! It's hard to clean things up once its all assembled again. I'd be using some soft wire brushes on drill and Dremel to clean up the cam cover, inlet manifold and visible parts of the head now before its all reassembled.

And don't let any of the cognoscenti see that you fitted a Ryco filter instead of a Purflux...

Thanks Richard, yes I'm figuring it will be a good little goer! Ryco, cognoscenti, pff... care not, they would likely have parted her out and sent her silver pealing french steel to get melted down and made into widgets. I even used cheap oil from supercheap to do an initial short run oil change "crazy!"

I must say I do enjoy taking dodgy parts off a car and returning it back to how it should be, it's very satisfying. This car has a matching number engine, and all the original missing or modified parts have been sourced except for a one last dash part. With a new paint job this little silver GTI will be a sweet car.

Thanks Richard, yes I'm figuring it will be a good little goer! Ryco, cognoscenti, pff... care not, they would likely have parted her out and sent her silver pealing french steel to get melted down and made into widgets. I even used cheap oil from supercheap to do an initial short run oil change "crazy!"

I must say I do enjoy taking dodgy parts off a car and returning it back to how it should be, it's very satisfying. This car has a matching number engine, and all the original missing or modified parts have been sourced except for a one last dash part. With a new paint job this little silver GTI will be a sweet car.

One last dash part may be a reality, lot better than lots of pieces! One bad break to repair only on end under drivers end. Glovebox is a treat! Lock will come out again to match mine so keep the lock for yours. Now to get it to you. Its a shade of black too, sorry!

Far better to use Purflux filters, better quality, cheaper and you can remove them easily by using the special tool.

One last dash part may be a reality, lot better than lots of pieces! One bad break to repair only on end under drivers end. Glovebox is a treat! Lock will come out again to match mine so keep the lock for yours. Now to get it to you. Its a shade of black too, sorry!

Thanks Matt, sounds like an amazingly generous offer, please send me some photos over email so I can tease the driver! Black, did you paint it as part of your repairs?

Far better to use Purflux filters, better quality, cheaper and you can remove them easily by using the special tool.

Thanks Graham, I appreciate the advice, most of my comments are a bit tongue in cheek... I do like the removal tool, although I've never had an issues getting filters off. This filter is only going to be used for a few runs so I'll see about the purflux for the the next oil change. Do you get yours from EAI or ebay?

Yes coloured it, might be removeable. It was out of one of magdicks cars which was a different colour to mine he pinched the winder plugs they were black and the dash and all its contents.

A little tinkering today.

Removed dodgy wires from previously mentioned possible fuel pressure switch. It was likely a water sensor on aftermarket water separator/filter now also gone.

901b684faf0ba7f6a007563bea049dc2.jpg

Inlet manifold cleaned up a bit, crickey it was covered in crud, a small puddle draining out of the plenum

b2a9416c87b46954af491559e8485ff7.jpg

Looking a bit more complete

59dc02ad6edfa06cb201af8ae92303c4.jpg

And the pie was excellent [emoji106][emoji4]

b3ae28fd6db37e86f3c3c00c8b843a31.jpg

Will dig out the central aircon duct fitting today and send it to Melbourne! East Hawthorne? Anything else small?

Nice work coming together.

The central air output you asked for? Air con duct that fits into dash?

Australia Day public holiday... good day to get onto the tools I’d say, let’s see what the day brings [emoji106]

A good day today.
Engine bay all back together ready to fire up including new fuel lines & filter, new water hoses, lots of little rectifications of bodged items.
Worked out where all those hoses go! Replaced the crumbly foam mess that was formally an air filter.

Brakes sorted out with some good bleeding.

Clutch cable adjusted

Driveshafts buttoned up and gear oil in.

A good team effort and excellent day on the tools with a great bunch of blokes

20965e18b7c2309c1940c4b2cb3dc908.jpg

Last edited:
Nice,work, will come and see it one day soon.

Too hot here to replace the steel gasket between extractors and exhaust system, that is for tomorrow early (6am) sad my engine was stolen faggot is in jail where I hope he is castrated. Got to love the 6 and tidier engine management system, even I can do it!

What a feeling that will be, ten years for mine since it moved under its own power :)

Last edited:
PS: Good to have competent friends like that too, let us know if it drives?

Mine is missing coolant, radiator and power steering fluid, apart from that it starts and would go albeit with no air con as yet which I believe is mandatory here. Oh, no dash board fitted, that is work in progress I expect to complete soon, and on finer matters the rattle in the left rear speaker.

Last edited: