Little Silver 205GTI

Will do Matt, I’m heading back to the workshop in the morning, some final checks and then I’ll give it a go.

It’s alive!!

What a transformation, from the basket case it was to this.
You may notice the blue tape, one of the induction elbows was found to have a split so it’s taped up but that will be changed out on next tools day.

After crank oil pressure test and then first crank to get fuel pressure and test for fuel leaks (yes we did have one), it fired up and just ran. Some initial smoke and slight variation in idle speed. After a few minutes it basically ran smoothly and idled fine. Smoke diminished to only a few small puffs when reviving quite hard, no smoke at idle or normal use of accelerator.
All in all an excellent result for a car not run for six years. Next to test drive, Smiles all round!

153227f4e50d2261a202175fa0fdc218.jpg

Hi there CEyssens.

I'm admiring your work here and your photos are so big and clear.
Can you tell me how you can put such big photos onto aussiefrogs please. I'm restoring a 1963 Renault R8 and would love to share some pics with other restorers to.
Cheers
Phil

It’s alive!!

Hi there CEyssens.

I'm admiring your work here and your photos are so big and clear.
Can you tell me how you can put such big photos onto aussiefrogs please. I'm restoring a 1963 Renault R8 and would love to share some pics with other restorers to.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your message, it's really good to see an old car get saved and satisfying to see it start to come together.
I normally load up my images straight from my iphone using the Tapatalk forum phone app. I've used aussiefrogs phone app but had issues with it going off line.
If I use the pc based web interface for aussiefrogs forum I load up an image with insert while typing a post. Then after I insert the image I normally see a very small version, so I double click on the image and an image settings box opens up, from there I can select a larger resolution format for that image (I usually choose medium or large size).

Hopefully that helps, I'll look forward to seeing some pictures of your project soon.
cheers
Craig.

Thanks Graig. I'll have a go a bit later, fingers crossed.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your message, it's really good to see an old car get saved and satisfying to see it start to come together.
I normally load up my images straight from my iphone using the Tapatalk forum phone app. I've used aussiefrogs phone app but had issues with it going off line.
If I use the pc based web interface for aussiefrogs forum I load up an image with insert while typing a post. Then after I insert the image I normally see a very small version, so I double click on the image and an image settings box opens up, from there I can select a larger resolution format for that image (I usually choose medium or large size).

Hopefully that helps, I'll look forward to seeing some pictures of your project soon.
cheers
Craig.

Does any one have a clamp that holds the fuel lines to the firewall, located just below the brake booster?
Please let me know if you can help me out.

Fuel Pipe Clamp.jpg

Sorry I don't have a spare one. Where is that diagram from it's awesome!

Sorry I don't have a spare one. Where is that diagram from it's awesome!

Hi Warus,
I use this web page a lot:

Peugeot Parts Catalogue

Excellent for looking up part numbers and seeing how it should be put together. I have lots of pages printed and spiral bound for use while working on the car, especially around all the water, oil and vapor hoses. Results for me were that the engine starting first try and is running smoothly all after having to put back every hose.
20965e18b7c2309c1940c4b2cb3dc908.jpg

Ah well my luck took a turn today, whilst cleaning up in amongst the leftovers pile (what maggot left of my car) guess what I found?

Cleaned it up and fitted it, hooray. Pipes still very close to those extractors!

Ah well my luck took a turn today, whilst cleaning up in amongst the leftovers pile (what maggot left of my car) guess what I found?

Cleaned it up and fitted it, hooray. Pipes still very close to those extractors!

What you didn’t find two?! ha, oh well I’ll keep searching, nice work on finding yours, cheers
Ps how’s the dash in your red car going?

Sadly no, if i had and logically enough I inherited a few bits from others cars, multiple front bumper mounts if they are any use?

Slowly, top is done just need to get the bottom half fixed. Some more discrete fibreglass required.

Sadly no, if i had and logically enough I inherited a few bits from others cars, multiple front bumper mounts if they are any use?

Slowly, top is done just need to get the bottom half fixed. Some more discrete fibreglass required.

thanks Matt, it was a bit tongue in cheek on asking if you had another... good to hear you found yours. Not sure on the bumper mounts, I'll be refitting mine soon so I'll check.

Last edited:
Update!
Drive shafts torqued up with new torque wrench (happy)
Door latches out for repair or replace and then sort out possessed central locking

Now that it starts first go and runs smooth I'll do the timing belt, tensioner, shaft seals, water pump, water wing pipe and RHS hoses.
After an extremely busy couple of months and more busy ahead I'm changing tack and making the effort to get to the workshop a couple times a week even for just an hour at a time.

Dr Evil Torque Wrench.jpg

There’s something satisfying about removing a crusty dodgy part and fitting up an excellent condition original replacement onto a project car like this S1 steering wheel [emoji106]
711c3c963561688f8fb0dde62abee91e.jpg

Some updates

Some more wheels back on
935a3a676272910ba41ecc2ca7f2dc8f.jpg

The lock puzzle continues, all parts cleaned up, some replaced, some were missing or poor bodged items. Now getting it back together.
Looks like the aftermarket immobiliser has it’s central locking piggybacked onto the factory central locking, just deciding what to do about that. Start will be having all the factory equipment working.
8edfb6ed462f0e9893aa840e7172c40c.jpg

Prep for timing belt uncovered broken top engine mount.
447298f894da58c2dd8d207c552fce91.jpg
2d6247cacf5b2996f748b3d3d93e83d0.jpg

So the hot tip, if you are thinking of fancy mounts and haven’t replaced or checked the old ones, maybe just new ones will be a vast improvement. This car has needed every mount changed with this one obviously the worst!

Coolant pipe in poor shape, very thin in areas around where the hoses go on.
0118197d6effc74208b2ed91aff52cd8.jpg

Good to get a couple of hours in, all the timing gear came out without a drama, so next visit should see some new parts going back in.
ae5a11be330686bfd68fb67bade39019.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the phase 1 control box will be the same, but somewhere I have wiring diagram for my phase 2 central locking where I worked out what terminals to use to allow the aftermarket immobiliser to trigger the factory central locking. Will see if I can find it. It works well.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if the phase 1 control box will be the same, but somewhere I have wiring diagram for my phase 2 central locking where I worked out what terminals to use to allow the aftermarket immobiliser to trigger the factory central locking. Will see if I can find it. It works well.

Thanks Richard, that sounds very helpful. Whoever did this to little silver put an additional central locking solenoid in the drivers door piggybacked off the factory one to simulate what happens when you turn the key. It must be out of adjustment or worn and just a bad idea as last time I tried to use it, it kept triggering itself up and down like a yo-yo! now I know why, but at the time it was pretty funny to watch.

Can you post a photo of your control module so I can see if it is the same? If it is, it will be mounted to the underside of the steering column, piggybacked on the lower column mount.