Little Silver 205GTI

CEyssens

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
First there was little white 205GTI, now joining the fold is little silver!

42b814a2c353a5d733d6602c8dbe8e7a.jpg

Was a bargain too!! howe it doesn't need too much work though...

So its a parts car?

We'll see Richard, initial intention is to keep it.
It would be nice to see it driving again.

If it's too far gone then things change, as I don't have time to part out and sell a car in pieces, so if it doesn't pan out then I'll be forced to sell it.

Ah! i had a look at this too, as i live just around the corner from where she was, THB i got scared and ran with my tail between my legs!
Good luck, hope you can save it!

Ah! i had a look at this too, as i live just around the corner from where she was, THB i got scared and ran with my tail between my legs!
Good luck, hope you can save it!

Yeah I know what you mean, the closer you get and start digging!!
I must be just a little bit more crazy.
Some good news, I got the engine turning over fine.

Thats rad, i was concerned when he said it was a clutch issue yet refused to turn it over so theres the biggest worry gone.
The sticker on the air box was my favorite part of the car :D

Cool I noticed that airbox sticker too... straight to the pool room!!! oh sorry important piece if the puzzle. Will have to scan it!!

Clutch issue is interesting too, it's got a hydraulic conversion!!!

Has anyone seen that before?
Would it be off a different pug or just a Frankenstein mod??

Last edited:
Looks exactly like mine did when I picked it up. Now it looks like that just in a thousand pieces

I like!

I reckon a hydraulic conversion is a great idea...I thought the same for my 405 to avoid the eventual cable jerkiness issues arising from RHD. Maybe some UK firm offered a kit.

I did the wrong thing and pulled everything apart at once. Intention was to get it ready for respray as the clear had come off. Now I have a huge puzzle and no motivation. I have sprayed the engine bay ready to fit in the mi16 sitting in the garage but ran into lots of bits and pieces I need to fix first from small dings to a dead engine mount etc. I think if I had attacked it in smaller sections I would be moving along. Hard to get going with a 3 year old helper who seems to like the most dangerous tools he swing and building a new house at the same time. Hopefull will get going again. I just filled a few small shopping door dings to start moving forward. Need to address the lower engine mount and put the engine gearbox back in soon.

I did the wrong thing and pulled everything apart at once. Intention was to get it ready for respray as the clear had come off. Now I have a huge puzzle and no motivation. I have sprayed the engine bay ready to fit in the mi16 sitting in the garage but ran into lots of bits and pieces I need to fix first from small dings to a dead engine mount etc. I think if I had attacked it in smaller sections I would be moving along. Hard to get going with a 3 year old helper who seems to like the most dangerous tools he swing and building a new house at the same time. Hopefull will get going again. I just filled a few small shopping door dings to start moving forward. Need to address the lower engine mount and put the engine gearbox back in soon.

I can relate to that, I got our white GTI to have a weekend toy as I don't have time to finish a full nut and bolt resto of another car any time soon. We have two boys under 2.5years old and a house to finish renovating.
The biggest problem with unfinished projects is keeping momentum, the way I do it now is singling out small jobs and doing something each week. Setting aside evenings once things in the house are quiet works best for me. Even 30min after the boys are in bed is worth while.
If I don't plan and do it, weeks then months slip by.
I know for many people they just enjoy the resto process, and I do enjoy it but for me it's about getting it done so I can enjoy it.
Today I photo documented the Silver car before I do anything to it, checked fluids, pulled out the old battery, sorted through a box of parts. Sold a couple of not needed parts from the big project.
So small achievements but all contributing to the end result, so a good day.

Next time you have the camera out could you snap a shot of the door hinges where they mount on the body please. I'm trying to work out exactly what is factory and if anything has been done body wise to the car. The man at the pug factory responsible for the body panel seals etc seems to have been very slap happy with his brush favoring function over form and it's comforting to see other 205's with all the same wide brushed seals along all the panel joins in the engine bay and under the arches. I noticed yours also has the black "paint" under the wheel arches from the thread on the shocks. Wonder if that was a silver or phase 1 thing? It wipes off with a bit of wax and grease remover hence the "paint" reference.