Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

So who can explain this. This would have been full of water for decades (as I've always kept it in a shed, and so did the previous owner).
?

images (7).jpeg
images (8).jpeg

😁🤔🤷‍♂️

Hah! No I mean explain why the gearbox is just rusted out junk :) The water will have just been rain down the steering shaft from sitting outside for years/decades at some point. It is old!

Hah! No I mean explain why the gearbox is just rusted out junk :) The water will have just been rain down the steering shaft from sitting outside for years/decades at some point. It is old!
I guess it couldn't break down the oil film on the surface of the components.
Could be worse.🤷‍♂️

images (10).jpeg

Yep, well the hydraulic filter sure isn't coming out. There isn't a smowmans chance in hell I'm going ot get it out without destroying the pipe. Any sort of vice grip or pipe wrench just crushes the pipe. if I snap the pipe off (or crush/hole it) the tractor is them un-usable. Oh well ... finger crossed they hydraulics keep working.

80982_1.jpg

i might try some heat on it before I give up. Fingers crossed I haven't already hole it .... but its locked solid in the housing.

I'm going to try some heat. I'll see if the lid can be lifted off too :) That's probably the best way!

Hi Shane.

inside the tank there maybe a filter.
If this filter is blocked the fuel supply to the pump/injection metering unit will slowly fail.
Many Fiat tractors have a filter in the tank or years of sediment.
Pointed out to me by a friend in Poland.
May not be applicable to you.

Had the same problem on a Fiat 411 with a back-hoe.

If this filter is blocked the fuel supply to the pump/injection metering unit will slowly fail.
Many Fiat tractors have a filter in the tank or years of sediment.
Pointed out to me by a friend in Poland.
May not be applicable to you.

Had the same problem on a Fiat 411 with a back-hoe.
I'm onto the hydraulic fluid now :) That filter would probably pop straight out if I could give it a whack from behind. I think its been "tapped" into the housing and is wedged in there. The top plate on the hydraulic housing doesn't get you to the filter. i'd need to remove the entire hydraulic unit from the tractor.... even then I possibly ca't get to it from below.

this is what I'm talkiing about.

This should just pull out .... . apparently ....

20220709_120224.jpg
20220709_120215.jpg

I initially tried just grabbing it and gently twisting it with pliers .... then vice grips .... All you do is crush the pipe as its a suction pipe ... so about 1mm wall thickness. Then I tried tapping it all over (it rings like a drum, so probably not yet fractured anywhere) ... Then I tried shocking it with hammer blows all over the face of it .... nothing. I've heated it several times with a MAP torch .... nothing. I've run around the lip of it whever I can get with a chisel and given it a good belting with a hammer hoping that would break whatever is holding it ..... nope.

the hydraulic unit is unbolted on the parts tractor (I bought the parts tractor cheap as it has the hydraulic unit swapped off it to get another tractor the guy owned working). When I lifted it up, I found no access to the filter. The filter is into a blind housing you have no access to the back of.

20220709_120331.jpg

I did remove the seat and pull the inspection plate. There is divider in the housing, you can't get to the lower filter side.

20220709_120824.jpg

Just for a joke I tried to pull the filter out of the parts tractor. I'm not exagerating .... 15 god damn seconds later its out with a bit of wiggling .... AAARrrrrrhhhhhh. The filter is a fine brass mess soldered to a housing. Really nice quality stuff.

20220709_121230.jpg

This is going to be my problem I think. See the rust to the back side of the "O"ring. I bet the tractor has had water sit here for decades and its front from the Oring back in the housing. An oxy set would probably have enough grunt to break it free (I don't have one of them though).

For now, if its still working, I'm going to have to just leave the filter in there and hope its not to plugged up.

Gee's I'm good at this stuff..... So I thought I probably should check the gearbox oil as well.... The hydraulic oil drained very low, the steering box was full of water ..... When I pulled the level plug for the gearbox, it glugged out at an very rapid rate ..... Damn.... Way, way, way, way overfull..... Which can only mean one thing. I must have a huge amount of water at the bottom, so the oil level is raised by that amount ?? :confused:

So I chucked a 20litre drum under the main drain point and opened it .... No sign of water ... hmmm.... the second drain point I chucked a 10litre drain pan under .... same with the 3rd. And 20litres drained from the front drain point, and maybe 5litres for each of the others. No water .... just a shitload of oil ....

I poured the drain pans back into bottles ... and poured them back in through a funnel that has a filtering mesh in it. Now the 20litre drum. I thought I'd be really smart, and fitted a tap to the bottom of it and sat it up high so it poured straight in and pulled the level plug.... Thinking I'd stop it all as soon as it hit the correct level.

gboxoil.jpg

Obviously, I didn't get sidetracked .... and not notice the "slight" puddle appearing under the tractor. A smart person would have put a drain pan under the level plug :rolleyes: There is still easily 10litres in the drum. Why so much oil in the damn thing ??

speed_amplifier.jpg

I reckon this could be the answer ..... if the tractor has a speed amplifier ... 27litres

standard_gearbox.jpg

If its a normal gearbox ... 18litres. So I'm guessing this tractor has been serviced at least once in the last 50years .... and got a gearbox oil change, and they looked up the wrong capacity and put in 27litres not 18.

seeya
Shane L.

Hi Shane

I think we need to temporarily change your forum name de plume to Castrol, to reflect your oil wallowing.

Cheers.

Hi Shane

I think we need to temporarily change your forum name de plume to Castrol, to reflect your oil wallowing.

Cheers.
yeah well that puddle is twice the size now 'cos I thought " I'll just clean that later" ... I just went out there to clean off the gasket surface from the hydraulic tank inspection plate.... and figued I'd empty the rest of that gear oil into some 5 litre oil containers .... So while it was filling I went over and started cleaning the gasket off ..... yeah I didn't forget AGAIN :mallet::mallet::mallet:

So ... I'm guessing trying to clean up two HUGE spills of gearbox oil is easier than cleaning one ... AAAAaaarrrrhhhhhhh.....

yeah well that puddle is twice the size now 'cos I thought " I'll just clean that later" ... I just went out there to clean off the gasket surface from the hydraulic tank inspection plate.... and figued I'd empty the rest of that gear oil into some 5 litre oil containers .... So while it was filling I went over and started cleaning the gasket off ..... yeah I didn't forget AGAIN :mallet::mallet::mallet:

So ... I'm guessing trying to clean up two HUGE spills of gearbox oil is easier than cleaning one ... AAAAaaarrrrhhhhhhh.....
If you makes you feel better, I once changed the gearbox in a small block Chev powered Holden and unbeknownst to me (when I lowered the back of the engine a bit to give the bellhousing enough room to come out) I cracked the brittle plastic on the oil pressure gauge's feed line. Once reassembled I was sitting in it warming it up (as it had a rather large cam and was a real pig cold) when the oil pressure gauge suddenly dropped to zero.

When I got out to check, I couldn't help but notice the 7 litres of 50W racing oil (that was in the winged sump a couple of minutes earlier) all over the ground.🤬

this is what I'm talkiing about.

This should just pull out .... . apparently ....
G'day Shane,
probably not big enough, but Jacobs chuck wedges look the part to maybe separate the fella.... ?
and.... good soak with Penetrene.... :)
Bob

Yep, well the hydraulic filter sure isn't coming out. There isn't a smowmans chance in hell I'm going ot get it out without destroying the pipe. Any sort of vice grip or pipe wrench just crushes the pipe. if I snap the pipe off (or crush/hole it) the tractor is them un-usable. Oh well ... finger crossed they hydraulics keep working.

80982_1.jpg

i might try some heat on it before I give up. Fingers crossed I haven't already hole it .... but its locked solid in the housing.
What about heat to the general area around it, then a shot of ice spray onto the bit while pulling on it to shrink it rapidly and break some of the seal/attachements. Probably after good long dousing with penetrating oil

Have found this to work for impossible ball joints on Haflinger ( combination of tightness and crap access )

But it looks like it is going to be uphill battle :(

Andrew

ANdrew

What about heat to the general area around it, then a shot of ice spray onto the bit while pulling on it to shrink it rapidly and break some of the seal/attachements. Probably after good long dousing with penetrating oil

Have found this to work for impossible ball joints on Haflinger ( combination of tightness and crap access )

But it looks like it is going to be uphill battle :(

Andrew

ANdrew

The little map gas torch I have doesn't have the grunt to do it :) ..... An oxy set would probably get it out easily. Given I had another filter assembly here, another option is to chisel it weld something to it that allow me to turn/pry it. So destructively remove it.

If I welded a bolt to it ... the heat of the weld may break it free. I could then use a socket/nut onto the bolt as a puller to pull it off. I might go that way given I have a replacement here.

Why not weld two nuts on opposite sides and push against the engine to pull it out with two bolts? Or use thee nuts (or four, or a million) to have a more evenly distributed pulling force around the circumference.

Reactions: COL
Why not weld two nuts on opposite sides and push against the engine to pull it out with two bolts? Or use thee nuts (or four, or a million) to have a more evenly distributed pulling force around the circumference.

Oh because I was thinking "big" .... as in an M10/M12 bolt welded across where the pipe would be cut off. Its pretty stuck. I'm not sure if small nuts would work. Running some beads of weld around it first to see if the heat breaks it free might work. I don't htink its worth trying to save as I don't think I'm the first to try and remove it without success.