Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

Slasher oil seals are notoriously leaky, because stuff often wraps around them and damages them. A light grade grease is usully recommended. Maybe NLGI grade 00 (or 000 or 0) instead of the usual grade 2 general purpose grease.

Roger

This is the flail mower, so nothing ever goes near its seals. I'm sure they are still weepy, but not enough that I've needed to top up the oil like I used too. The slasher here seems to have grease in its gearbox, so I've always just left it alone :confused:

The post hole digger leaks quite a bit. But I just top it up whenever I use it. Its used so rarely its better to just throw a few hundred ml of oil in it rather than pull it to bits (and end up in a situation just like the tractors hydraulic filter no doubt) again.

I sometimes use the big brown ride-on mowers to keep the grass down if the mower or slasher is out of action.

They also work well when the ground is too saturated to drive over.

Brown ride on Mowers.jpg

Oh yeah, we have had dog food keeping the paddocks down in the past. its so much cost and effort aggisting out the paddocks. I don't want the liability of vets bills etc if they decide they are about to become dog food. we have had goats (they died), sheep (they died too, but were delicious) .... and horses... Actually I think one of the horses actually lived for long enough that it didn't end up at the knackery.... That would be a pretty rare event though.

index.php

Well I think I might name this mower .... how about "stuck" .... or "bogger"" ...... maybe even "pushme". I might need to wait until it stops raining every single :clown: The damn grass will be 1meter high by then I'm thinking

My AMC has the driving wheels under the motor, may have helped with traction?
Replacing the tyres with tractor-type (the raised bar tread in Citroenesque chevrons) may help. A popular change round here for Greenfield owners. I will do it myself soon enough.
Also Shane you might have a crack at making a removable diff-lock device? I have no idea how you would do it, but I'm sure you could nut something out. My Greenfield has a diff lock and it makes a huge difference in slippery situations. A warning though - having a locked diff also means when both driving wheels lose grip on a slope, the mower swings around like a pendulum and you could be pointing in any direction in a split second. I think the best technique with a locked diff on slippery steep sections is mow straight up/straight down the slope, not across the slope or diagonal, because of the risk of swinging around if both driving wheels lose grip. Not always possible, though.

These old Deutscher ride-on's had the right idea. :cool: The weight was over the dual wheels. Probably still a few around. Great workers. Simple designs, aussie made too. But not sexy looking for the 5 acre lots.:rolleyes:
Jaahn.
1664688889073.png
1664688946502.png

Convert it to one of these.......
View attachment 210825
The zero turn mowers are generally pretty good, but have one drawback - no traction on either or both back wheels - no / minimal steering.

I am on a moderately lumpy and wet 5 acres in Dandenongs. It is good for 80% of the time, but if it gets wet one needs to be bloody careful , especially on slopes. HAve had one involuntary trip into the gully.

They are designed for big flat lawns/sports fields, at which they are excellent, but need thought to their limitations

The other drawback is the circular cutting motion makes them prone to indigestion with long strips of bark, requiring manual disempaction.

Neighbour has flail mower, which is amazing - just shreds any rough stuff with total aplomb

Horses for courses

Andrew

I had a work colleague ask me "Do I want an old mower"..... Hmmm... me turn down something to tinker with ?? Apparently its been sitting since about 2016 when they sold there last house.... Its been stored in an open front shed since. So I turned up with a compressor ... put some air in its tyres and pushed it onto the trailer.

I pressure washed it twice to get all the bird shit and crap off it ...

20231120_203712.jpg

20231120_203730.jpg

20231120_203750.jpg

I was thinking it would be quite a job to see if it'll work. That many years, means the petrol will be varnish for starters. So I'll need to remove the fuel tank and empty/clean, replace the fuel lines, pull the carby off and unblock/remove all the dried out gunk in it.

Instead .... I found an empty fuel tank (is that worse, it's eaten its way through somewhere). Hmm.... spotless inside .... doesn't even smell like petrol let alone varnish. They must have run the thing out of petrol when they last used it :ROFLMAO: No dried out fuel. All I need to to was add fuel to the spotlessly clean petrol tank.

What a let down .... nothing to tinker with. I hooked up the charger/starter to the battery, not only did it start, it started first turn of the starter with no smoke at all and sounded great. it goes forwards and backwards.... the cutter deck span upto speed......

Hmmm.... not much of a project here ??

Give it to Ang to use and get yourself a Deutscher ride-on.

Roger
I still use the AMC mower..... I'd be tempted by a Deutscher zero turn though.

Has anyone tried these batteries

mower batteries look to be well over $100 :eek:

I've used that brand in bikes, they seem OK.
A bike one in the sizes I've used are only around $40.
Actually now I think about it, I've got one in the Rocket 111, it was around $70 + postage IIRC.

I get my SLA batteries from Radio Parts - pack of three for SWMBO electric trike is around $100, delivered. Power Sonic brand from Vietnam, 12V, 9Ah Last a few years before they die - but only have little spade connectors, no good for high current draw.

Bob

I just checked my EBay account, the Triumph one is 14 months old, still works.🤷‍♂️
Not sure why a ride-on needs such a big battery?
The Triumph is 2300cc and only needs a 20 a/hr one.
A 9 a/hr battery cranks a high compression, single cylinder, 250cc bike over easily.

The old hay mower packed it in mid paddock so we've just bought a new seven disc Kuhn. Good discounts because nobody is doing much hay this year, still not cheap. It cuts and at speed.

This is the ultimate walk behind
Impressive manouvering, but it doesn't actually seem to be achieving much - can it cut shorter, or is it designed to just level up the tussocks?

Impressive manouvering, but it doesn't actually seem to be achieving much - can it cut shorter, or is it designed to just level up the tussocks?
if its a diesel flail ..... its going to cut anything it can drive over. I'm surprised they don't have it driving through sapplings and chest height grass to show you what its capable of