Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

Well... I finally got around to looking at the tractor again. Fitted up the new filters, bleed it and it was away .... took hardly any time at all. So there you go, if you have NOS filters around ... throw the damn things in the bin. The paper in them must turn old yellow and rock hard.... leaving you with a big unbleedable mess ere there should be a filter!

seeya
Shane L.
Hi.

To be honest I am surprised at that outcome, I would not have expected that the filter media would have changed to reduce fuel flow across it.

Good to hear that you can go back to mowing your paddock of grass.

Cheers.

Thats good news Shane, sounds like you need to take the filter housing down to your local friendly hydraulics place and get a new "O" ring and then all should be good.
used to be a problem way back when with Ryco. I had a little tray with the small Toyota engine, liteace ?, the Ryco filter supplied ex NZ always had the wrong O ring with it - I think it needed a 'D' section and they packed a flat one. Local distributor sent me a little bag of the correct rings. Well, Ryco was easy to source and cheap... :) first warnings....
Bob

Reactions: COL
Yeah well ... everything is fun. I just got around to moving the tractor into the shed for a service. I dumped the oil and pulled the battery and the battery tray out .... to find the fill plug for the steering box in plain view ( Yay! ). I unscrewed the fill plug to find it full to the top ..... hmmmm .... So I dipped my finger in it and the oily film moved to the side to show nice clean water under it..... Um.... Not yay ?

Does anyone have smart suggestions on emptying it (short of pulling the entire steering box out and turning it upside down). i can't find a drain plug anywhere. I'm thinking I need to pull the entire plate off the side of the steering box.

Just as well we don't freeze here ... it probably would have shattered the steering box!

DC A quick sort of fix would be to overfill with a heavy oil. Oil floats on water so that should displace the water. Later you can perhaps warm up the box with an acetylene or other gas torch and that might remove more water, then siphon out the heavy oil and refill with recommended final fill....not perfect but a start..

Shane, loosen or remove the cover plate on the right side of the box and the oil (or water) will drain out.

Roger
that's what I was thinking. Pull the plate off the side of the gearbox. Fingers crossed there is no spring loaded parts behind it!

DC A quick sort of fix would be to overfill with a heavy oil. Oil floats on water so that should displace the water. Later you can perhaps warm up the box with an acetylene or other gas torch and that might remove more water, then siphon out the heavy oil and refill with recommended final fill....not perfect but a start..
my first thought was to fill it with oil.... but oil floats on water, so you would never displace the water! :)

with our little steamers we syringe the oil/water mix out of the lubricator after a run.... :)

Bob

that's what I was thinking. Pull the plate off the side of the gearbox. Fingers crossed there is no spring loaded parts behind it!

No spring loaded parts behind it. You can remove it with confidence. I have checked the service manual. It says that's how you drain the oil.

Roger

Oh it's a lady. She may not appreciate the inherant beauty of a rusty Citroen.🤷‍♂️
You haven't met my mum. The cataracts stopped her driving but she loves a good collection of beautiful rusty garden art.

You haven't met my mum. The cataracts stopped her driving but she loves a good collection of beautiful rusty garden art.
She needs to get those cataracts fixed so she can fully appreciate a rusty French car in all its beauty. My mum had hers done. It was really weird seeing her reading without glasses after 25 years of seeing her wearing them.🤓

She needs to get those cataracts fixed so she can fully appreciate a rusty French car in all its beauty. My mum had hers done. It was really weird seeing her reading without glasses after 25 years of seeing her wearing them.🤓
On the waiting list with one of the best eye docs in Melbourne (the same guy who did dad's cataracts and eye pressure stents) .... Other eye problems need to heal first. Currently, from the back seat she can see well enough without her glasses to tell dad he's speeding. The 308 has a nice clear display. 🤣

well I managed to catch some of the "oil" that drained into a pail ... obviously most ended up on the floor.

water.jpg

The sure was nice clean, crystal clear "oil" there. It must seep through from the steering shaft?

sbox.jpg

Who said you can't smell a photo ? Gearbox oil is remarkable stuff. See how everything is still coated with oil ... and nothing is rusty. I think I'll hose the internals down with degreaser and refill with oil. The tractor doesn't get parked in the rain, so it shouldn't happen again. That water has probably been in there for decades.

So who can explain this. This would have been full of water for decades (as I've always kept it in a shed, and so did the previous owner).

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

index.php

That wouldn't even be a 50ml of thick moisture tainted oil

Bizarre right? why isn't it a rusty lump of frozen rubbish :confused: You can see how much oil versus water was in it here:

Attachments

• sb3.jpg
    sb3.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 82
So who can explain this. This would have been full of water for decades (as I've always kept it in a shed, and so did the previous owner).

That wouldn't even be a 50ml of thick moisture tainted oil

Bizarre right? why isn't it a rusty lump of frozen rubbish :confused: You can see how much oil versus water was in it here:
Hi Shane.

I think that for once the gods have smiled on you and you have "Lucked In".

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cheers.

Hi Shane.

I think that for once the gods have smiled on you and you have "Lucked In".

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cheers.
Guess who going to drop a bit of gearbox oil tonight ..... to make sure we have oil and not water in there ...... :clown: