Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

I have here what is basically a new 18hp rover rancher .... Huge single deck, the last aussie made one. It's a few years old, however it would only have done 30hours work from new (if that). The issue is ............... It just doesn't cut grass. No matter what you do, no matter how often you replace the still new looking blades, with another new set. It seems to just "bend" the grass over and hack it up a bit. It doesn't matter if the grass is so long and thick, it's higher than the mower when your cutting it, or short and already immaculate..... It makes a mess of it. I finally had a gut full of it .... I've put off pulling the cutter deck off .... simply due to the fact it's a basically unused $4500 mower ..... why in the $#@# doesn't it cut grass :mad: :mad:

attachment.php

I'd been knocking down blackberies and cleaning up the chest high grass around the sheds with this ... and old victa push mower ... I found every piece of metal, every rock, every brick ........... Basically I hammered the sh!t out of it's blades (I'm lucky it didn't throw a blade). So imagine my frustration when I wheeled it back across the paddock into the shed and found it was cutting the grass about 1000times better than the new mower with new blades.... AAAARrrrhhhhhh....

attachment.php

The back of the mower deck ....

attachment.php

the front ... that's the blade hanging below the level of the deck by about 2inches

attachment.php

rovers back edge.

attachment.php

front edge ... yes it appears the blade are below the level of the deck. So the grass must first be bent completelly over, then stand back up in order to be cut.

attachment.php

It gets better though. That's the back edge of the angled blades. So the cutter deck bends the grass over flat before the blades get to it, then the back edge of the angled blade beat the grass down flat before the cutting edge can get to them. Why in the hell would you design a cutter deck like this ..... It's a "grass bending over" deck, not a cutting deck.

I think the fix is to cut an inch out of the front of the cutter deck :confused: What do you guys think ?

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1060678.jpg
    P1060678.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 4,721
  • P1060679.JPG
    P1060679.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,074
  • P1060680.jpg
    P1060680.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,715
  • P1060681.jpg
    P1060681.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3,676
  • P1060682.jpg
    P1060682.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,967
  • P1060684.JPG
    P1060684.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,679
Now that I think about it, the "throwing" blade is backwards too. It's throwing the grass downward, into the ground, rather than up and out the side chute of the deck. You know, i reckon they have tried to make this a "mulching" deck. ie: is pushes the grass downward, and tries to hack it up rather than expel it.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Guys,

I have here what is basically a new 18hp rover rancher .... Huge single deck, the last aussie made one. It's a few years old, however it would only have done 30hours work from new (if that). The issue is ............... It just doesn't cut grass. No matter what you do, no matter how often you replace the still new looking blades, with another new set. It seems to just "bend" the grass over and hack it up a bit. It doesn't matter if the grass is so long and thick, it's higher than the mower when your cutting it, or short and already immaculate..... It makes a mess of it. I finally had a gut full of it .... I've put off pulling the cutter deck off .... simply due to the fact it's a basically unused $4500 mower ..... why in the $#@# doesn't it cut grass :mad: :mad:

attachment.php

I'd been knocking down blackberies and cleaning up the chest high grass around the sheds with this ... and old victa push mower ... I found every piece of metal, every rock, every brick ........... Basically I hammered the sh!t out of it's blades (I'm lucky it didn't throw a blade). So imagine my frustration when I wheeled it back across the paddock into the shed and found it was cutting the grass about 1000times better than the new mower with new blades.... AAAARrrrhhhhhh....

attachment.php

The back of the mower deck ....

attachment.php

the front ... that's the blade hanging below the level of the deck by about 2inches

attachment.php

rovers back edge.

attachment.php

front edge ... yes it appears the blade are below the level of the deck. So the grass must first be bent completelly over, then stand back up in order to be cut.

attachment.php

It gets better though. That's the back edge of the angled blades. So the cutter deck bends the grass over flat before the blades get to it, then the back edge of the angled blade beat the grass down flat before the cutting edge can get to them. Why in the hell would you design a cutter deck like this ..... It's a "grass bending over" deck, not a cutting deck.

I think the fix is to cut an inch out of the front of the cutter deck :confused: What do you guys think ?

seeya,
Shane L.
That mower cost $4500?

What is the angle of rotation in relation to the blades? IIRC the function of the angled edges is to create a sort of vacuum and throw effect. If they are the wrong blades and/or therefore turning in the wrong direction then you will get blow down not suck up - so to speak!

Exactly, I think you can buy a mulching plug for this huge deck, so what Rover has obviously done is made it all "backward" so it'll retain the grass and try and grind it up. The problem is this makes it useless as a mower.

No the old victa wasn't $4500. The 18hp heal toe, aussie built rover rancher with trailer was :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Try bending the blades slightly downwards.

It looks like yours are bending up, which will give results like you are experiencing.

Jo

Oh to answer your first question... I'm not being insane by mowers that don't cut. I did our lawn last week and it took 15 minutes. About 7 minutes was getting the whipper snipper out and putting it away again.

I just checked, the "thower" blades are angled correctly. The blades are just recessed up into the deck. Jo, I can't bend them, there not bent, there the same as the other three sets I've bought for it. You can't bend or hammer the blades as there recessed back into the deck. so the deck will bottom first, lifting the mower off it's wheels .... I reckon it'll be modern safety standards that state the mower must be useless and have no exposed blades.

Another option would be to find "angled" blades like the american stuff uses. ie: lower the blades down lower then the front edge of the deck.

Gimme an hour and I'll be able to verify if this is really the problem.

seeya,
Shane L.

Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

Not so much mowers. Bought a Masport utility that does the job well.
Went to give it its first oil change and couldn't find an oil drain plug on the bottom of The Briggs.
Nearly dismissed the Massport brand with the experiences I have had with one of their mulchers.
Its damn useless. By the time you regulate the feed and clear its frequent blockages it would have been quicker to cut the branches by hand.
In all fairness everything I have come across suggests avoiding any mulcher under 7 hp.
Would be nice if this one could consume more than tree fern fronds though.
It will be going out on the footpath next market day.
Paul

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

Sucess ..... Well sort of, 2/3rds of the way through the wire feed on my MIG welder died ...... AAAAARRRRhhhhh.... I'll have the money to repair that in about 2028 the way were going.

Anyway .... I seriously can't believe this is the same mower.... It just for the first time ever cut as opposed to "bend over and kinda hack up" the grass. It' begs the question. Why in the flying f#$@ would you design and make a cutter deck that doesn't cut grass :confused:

attachment.php

I chopped the front edge off the deck and welded it back on further up....

attachment.php

The cutting edge of the blade is now lower than the height the deck will "bend" the grass over too.

attachment.php

Thin grass ....

attachment.php

really green damp thick grass....

attachment.php

long thick grass....

Why didn't they sell the mower like this. I've never struck a mower before that's designed *not* to cut grass :confused: Everyone else about the mower is brilliant, big chunky tires, 18hp engine, single cutter deck that doesn't clog up, proper heavy chassis, greenfield type drive system.... etc... how can they build mowers for probably 50years, then screw up the cutter deck :confused: It also throws lots of grass out of the side chute now, before it just stayed in the cutter deck.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1060685.JPG
    P1060685.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,529
  • P1060686.jpg
    P1060686.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,492
  • P1060688.jpg
    P1060688.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,453
  • P1060690.jpg
    P1060690.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,433
  • P1060691.jpg
    P1060691.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,397
Good work.:headbang:

Now all you need is to power up with 120Y engine or something similar and you can cut at 80kmph:cheers:

a bloke i know had the same problem, he made an extension sleeve to fit up the shaft and bolted the cutter deck to it which lowered the deck height and away it went

best mower he's ever had yet when he bought it it was near new, sound familiar ???

It's certainly never ending .... Now onto the welder... why the hell has the wire feeder died. It looks like there is no voltage to the feed motor ... The circuit board looks ok. Most likely it'll be the transistor given it's completely died (surely the transistor must be driving the output voltage of the little transformer on the board).

The lawn mower doesn't need more power. 18hp is plenty, it doesn't clog the deck up, shred belts and stall like twin deck mowers do.

seeya,
Shane L.

Not that I bother cutting the grass any more, just can't be arsed with it, but...

When I used to do it, I toyed with the idea of throwing the so-called blades away, and replacing them with suitably shortened inner parts of bike brake cables; the thin steel cable stuff. Fancied doing the same to the strimmer (whipper snipper in your pants?) but never got round to it.

G'wan Shane, you know you want to give it a try.:wink2: But for gawd's sake wear some decent boots if you do.:eek:

:cheers:

Mike.