INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

Forumnoreason.

Obviously a scam. Over the last few weeks I have been dealing with Cars of Canberra, and extensively test drove a Peugeot 3008.

No mention of any charges.

RobL

RobL: I don't think you understand. It is not a scam.

The ad is saying that when you click on the "enquire" link in their online ad, you immediately cost them a $49.50 referral fee to the website.
So they are asking you not to click unless you are serious.

I didn't know it worked this way on Gumtree, but it is certainly how it works on Carsales, and dealers get pretty sick of people clicking on the link when they are not genuinely interested in buying.

Maybe.... forumnoreason's post is showing the standard Carsales wording about "...this is why you can't find out who we are until you enquire", followed by the name and address of the dealer - they may have clumsily carried over the wording of their Carsales ad to Gumtree, which has no such restrictions...??

who knows, who cars! get it cars! ah Hercule... edit-

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fys...6-speed-sports-automatic-hatchback/1122137306

so you phone them and not email via site as they get stung I presume. If they don’t want to play ball with gumtree maybe they shouldn’t be using it?

I guess I am inadvertently assisting them sell a car care of anyone who clicks on link and gets their cit mojo running!

Maybe I should become a dealer?

Last edited:
So Citroen have 8 models for sale in China, (not the same as the models in Oz).

With a market that size, how relevant is Citroen in Australia (from a financial viewpoint)?

simca1100.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have plenty of friends who use both Carsales and Gumtree, and had not heard of this before. Just got on to the Carsales website and could find no evidence of the charge.

RobL

dealers can list 'anonymously' for increased exposure - monetised thusly by Carsales (often detective work on photos, location etc. can aid direct contact and circumvent this ...) similarly, last motel we used had a sign to the effect; "glad you found us online - but next time, call us - so that fee doesn't go offshore"

So Citroen have 8 models for sale in China, (not the same as the models in Oz).

With a market that size, how relevant is Citroen in Australia (from a financial viewpoint)?

I think the answer is not very but they are failing to get traction in China and must be looking for markets with growth potential. That growth can't be hard to get here as they are strating from such a low base. Of course, Citroën is just a secondary brand of PSA and if the dealers can't sell them they can always switch prospects over to Peugeot, now they have both brands.

I hope they do well at selling the Chevron brand. Now post hydro, what does a Citroen have that anybody else's product hasn't. The only technical novelty will be the new hydraulic cushions, and they appear to be a fit and forget strut.
Would YOU invest in a Citroen showroom in OZ ? This little black duck wouldn't so they maybe should be applauded for the investment and risk they have taken. In reality they can be no worse than the previous importers who were never really big enough. We need full factory backing ( as have VW for example ) for really big expansion, and I can't see that happening.

From HO in Sydney:
The new dealer in Perth will be:

Perth City Citroen
501 Albany Highway
Victoria Park WA 6100
Ph - 08 9262 0000

They are expected to start trading on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2017.

I'd questioned how to ensure my warranty when no dealer was available in Perth since the week my car was to be booked into AllPikes they shut up shop!

Looking up that address reveals that it has
Duncan Nissan Dealers Perth

and
Perth City Skoda

Last edited:
If Inchcape flog them through Trivett's they'll have the same battle McCarroll's did.

I'd rather buy a Cit from the Good Guys.

I hope they do well at selling the Chevron brand. Now post hydro, what does a Citroen have that anybody else's product hasn't. The only technical novelty will be the new hydraulic cushions, and they appear to be a fit and forget strut.
Would YOU invest in a Citroen showroom in OZ ? This little black duck wouldn't so they maybe should be applauded for the investment and risk they have taken. In reality they can be no worse than the previous importers who were never really big enough. We need full factory backing ( as have VW for example ) for really big expansion, and I can't see that happening.
The general public does not buy cars for technical novelties, just the size of the video screens for the kids.

The general public does not buy cars for technical novelties, just the size of the video screens for the kids.

Asram-Outdoor-Advertising-Mobile-LED-Display-Screen.jpg

Cheers
Chris

From HO in Sydney:
The new dealer in Perth will be:

Perth City Citroen
501 Albany Highway
Victoria Park WA 6100
Ph - 08 9262 0000

They are expected to start trading on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2017.

I'd questioned how to ensure my warranty when no dealer was available in Perth since the week my car was to be booked into AllPikes they shut up shop!

Looking up that address reveals that it has
Duncan Nissan Dealers Perth

and
Perth City Skoda

Ah, just up the road from where I used to work, in the building beside the Broken Hill Hotel. This new dealer is 5 minutes from Eurocare...... I'm only 15 minutes away, so if you ever need a lift somewhere, just shout!

the whole thing is a miserable farce. Citroens that aren’t really Citroens anymore, DS’s that are neither. How they managed to lose the plot so substantially is unremarkable. yawn.

You could say that about any make with a long history, or about any make whose shareholders changed. Some owners cling on to their antiques as being as the last "proper" whatever.

Makers reuse names too. Have you seen a Corolla lately?

The fact is that PSA Citroens are still interesting cars and need to be priced advertised and sold better in Australia.

How sad. If you feel like that, why bother posting? I agree with Seasink's comments. Modern PSA cars are interesting, great to drive, efficient, safe. innovative, low maintenance and getting more innovative. The new C3, C$ Cactus the Peugeot 3008, DS7, DS5, C5 Aircrosse, etc. are examples.

I think that argument has been running since the 1976 'merger'.

Some owners cling on to their antiques as being as the last "proper" whatever.

Hmmm.

I don't think its entirely universal.

Some new Jags don't seem to have much "Jaguarness" ... BMW seems to keep a consistent look and feel, Mercedes to some extent, etc.
Aston Martin keeps a fairly consistent groove.
Volvo? VW Golf? Mostly evolutionary with familiarity.

I suppose there are two strands for ANY car maker:

a) keeping the old faithful buyers

b) enticing new (+ younger? buyers).

So. Toyotas are kinda bland, reliable, functional transporters. And they appear to stick to that formula!
Hondas are "the next step up" from Toyota. Etc.

Problem for firms like Citroen is that "radical, avant-guarde, ground breaking, amazing ride, etc" were the best known hallmarks.
How do you keep those characteristics especially regarding (a) and (b) above?

I dunno. Maybe Citroen decided to have the "DS" range that has the *old* values (but do they?) and another range that appeals to a broader, more conservative market. Personally, I don't think that apart from appearance, that the DS range is particularly "Citroenesque." (I like the DS3 ... but it has little in common with "old" DS values, as good as it is).

I do think that many models in the current range are pretty good .... albeit less differentiated in the market than before. The Peugeot relationship has improved quality control.

The irony is that the original DS is consistently hailed as probably the most innovative car ever, and this is pretty much a universal sentiment.

Could they trade more highly on that?
Or is its only for the motoring writers? (Who are a pretty conservative bunch these days).

Last edited:
Yes, David. It is a ridiculous and spurious argument.

Using the same logic, both the Traction Avant and the original DS19 were not "real Citroens" because by this stage Michelin had taken over Citroen.

Let's move on.