GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Thanks for the encouragement Steve :wink2:

Don't we need it? 5 years in and I feel I'm in the never ending story with an enormous task ahead :crazy:

Cheers
Chris

You've only got another eight to go then, if you are working to my kind of time frame Chris!!!!!!

Seriously though the work you are doing is brilliant. Those welds came up a treat!

You've only got another eight to go then, if you are working to my kind of time frame Chris!!!!!!

Seriously though the work you are doing is brilliant. Those welds came up a treat!

Awww, don't say that Gerry, I'm picking up the pace and I must be past the halfway mark? Another couple of years?? :roflmao:

I wish I understood better the welding process when I started, I've a long way to go but I'm no longer blaming my tools. I now listen to the sounds of the arc and the welder itself, both clues as how things are going. As well as getting the settings for power right, I now understand wire speed is critical. I've found I can now up the power and move a little more quickly for a good penetrating weld. If I had taken that approach when I started I would have been blowing holes through the metal. Same with anything I guess you should learn by your mistakes and nothing beats hands on experience.

I really feel I'm over the hump though, I had a good idea how bad those front guards were and managing to get result with nothing more than my own input and the repair panels, (a total investment of about $350.00) is a huge relief for me. This whole project is run on a shoestring :wink2:

. . .again I appreciate the encouragement and feedback :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Chris I had a go at MIG with my sons set! I would never trust myself to attack a set of beautifully made repro repair panels. Give me an oxy torch any day! Quelle Courage!

6-07-14 Close enough to call. . .

This may end in tears, but. . . well, watch this space :rolleyes: :clown: :crazy:

Cheers
Chris

I'm ready to call the left guard a success :headbang:

For rust protection I've opted to coat the two inner surfaces that come into contact with one another with 2K primer and 2K black (black because it's what I have here).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've then plug welded the inner support in position. . .

attachment.php

. . .and then a trail fit of the glass, I needed to do this before attending to the final shape as the inner support may have disturbed the fit. The glass will ultimately sit a little higher - as it is, the Marshal text is below the chrome trim. :nownow:

attachment.php

attachment.php

All thats left to do now is to tidy the welds on the corner join and some creative filling to get the shape right across the front. The guard is solid and rigid again, sans rust :)

Phew, 'wiping sweat from brow' and ready to finish the right hand guard. . .

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 45 Inner support primer.jpg
    45 Inner support primer.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 981
  • 46 inner support topcoat.jpg
    46 inner support topcoat.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 952
  • 47 inner guard topcoat.jpg
    47 inner guard topcoat.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 972
  • 48 Inner support welded in place.jpg
    48 Inner support welded in place.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 982
  • 49 glass fitted.jpg
    49 glass fitted.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 965
  • 50 glass fitted.jpg
    50 glass fitted.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 957
Beautiful work Chris, keep the photos coming as there are many of us who appreciate them.:worship:

P.S. It's noted that you have a thick layer of work related dust covering your other car which is why mine didn't make an appearance today.

Chris that looks fabulous!
59 Floride I would like to know how you can do this kind of work in a home garage without making dust!

Beautiful work Chris, keep the photos coming as there are many of us who appreciate them.:worship:

P.S. It's noted that you have a thick layer of work related dust covering your other car which is why mine didn't make an appearance today.

Thanks Graham and Gerry,

The welding was my effort today, after sneaking away from the French Car Day this morning, very much inspired by DS21bvh's car, which made its debut after a full ground up rebuild - C'est magnifique !

I'm never sure when posting if maybe I include too many images, during my research I can't get enough, I find them to be very helpful in my own approach and I hope others might benefit from mine in the same way. :wink2:

Good to eventually catch up today :cool:

*That dust is a worry it's everywhere, I gave the C5 a good wash only a couple of days back :eek:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Graham and Gerry,

The welding was my effort today, after sneaking away from the French Car Day this morning, very much inspired by DS21bvh's car, which made its debut after a full ground up rebuild - C'est magnifique !

I'm never sure when posting if maybe I include too many images, during my research I can't get enough, I find them to be very helpful in my own approach and I hope others might benefit from mine in the same way. :wink2:

Good to eventually catch up today :cool:

*That dust is a worry it's everywhere, I gave the C5 a good wash only a couple of days back :eek:

Cheers
Chris

Chris I love the pics... the more the better. A visual reference is so much easier to work with when researching techniques. Imagine all your posts with no pics, just descriptive text.... :yawn:

Matthew :)

One can not have too many photos.

Good work Chris, I enjoy following your progress.

Arto

+1 here too for as many pics as you can muster..:)

Work like that needs to be well documented - just superb Chris....!

Cheers,

Mark...

15 -07-14 A few more pics :)

Thanks for the very kind comments chaps :)

I've just been going over the recent work and I have to say the pics help me immensely, I can see things that are not apparent in real life, so. . .

I've all but finished work on the Left guard, I can see a few small areas that still need attention but it is now very close.

Filled the corner section repair, it's been a little cold here so panel saw some daylight whilst the filler set :cool:

As you can see, most of the filler is sanded off. There are some quite complex curves going on across the front of these panels that lower section has a nice subtle curve top to bottom following the twist. Very hard to see or feel but shows up once in primer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've now trial fitted the trim, glass and bucket. Everything has gone back well but I will have to do a little more shaping to that lower section. The bottom curve is not quite right, much more obvious in the photos, and a little more care in the corner curve where the chrome trim sits. Very pleased with the overall outcome though, the glass is snug against the panel and should seal once painted and the rubber seal is in place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've also made progress on the right hand guard, the inner repair panel arrived so I have joined it to my fabricated section.

attachment.php

Clamped in place and trial fit of glass

attachment.php

attachment.php

Again, it looks like it will come together with a little massaging, this guard has had a hit and has required a fair bit of hammer and dolly work. It is straightening up though, a few welds required to the inner mudguard area should make it stronger than it has been.

I'm kicking myself, I removed 5mm from the chrome trim to get it to fit. . . Later found that on removing all the filler from the metal surround and refitting the trim I'm 5mm short :cry: The join will be covered by the stainless clip but I should have trusted my initial measurements :doh: :blackeye:

I've cut and removed rust from the inside of the lower rear, left, right and centre. Then stripped and filled the outer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Huge amount of time spent cleaning dirt, tar, paint etc. from the inside of this one. Probably would have been better to have had the whole panel blasted?

Next will be to topcoat the inner repair section and weld in place on the guard, more sanding and first hit of primer, then shape the repaired areas :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 51 Filler to repair.jpg
    51 Filler to repair.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 852
  • 57 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    57 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 52 Filler to repair.jpg
    52 Filler to repair.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 853
  • 55 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    55 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 842
  • 56 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    56 Headlight bucket glass and trim.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 876
  • 14 Trial fit glass and trim.jpg
    14 Trial fit glass and trim.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 843
  • 19 bottom rust repair in primer.jpg
    19 bottom rust repair in primer.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 811
  • 18 bottom rust repair in primer.jpg
    18 bottom rust repair in primer.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 817
  • 16 Bottom rust repair.jpg
    16 Bottom rust repair.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 832
  • 13 Support welded trial fit glass.jpg
    13 Support welded trial fit glass.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 857
  • 12 New support cut for welding.jpg
    12 New support cut for welding.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 846
:worship::worship: World class stuff Chris,

Grasshopper 3

+1 Top work

Thee shall now be MC for Master Chris :worship::worship::worship:

GH2

Aww, you guys are so nice. . . :blush:

Right hand guard is now ready for stripping, primer and filler :)

More of the same, primer and 2K top coat to the inner support and inner guard, then welded into position.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've then trial fitted the trim, glass and light bucket, all good, snug and looks like I'll get a good seal.

I've made a small mod to my number plate, poor ol' D(very)Special is smarting after all this :clown:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 24 OUCH.jpg
    24 OUCH.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 915
  • 23 Inner guard 2K.jpg
    23 Inner guard 2K.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 789
  • 22 Inner support 2K.jpg
    22 Inner support 2K.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 785
  • 21 inner suport welded.jpg
    21 inner suport welded.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 784
That's looking great ... Have you decided on a colour to paint it yet (maybe the same blue it is now :) ).

seeya
Shane L.

That's looking great ... Have you decided on a colour to paint it yet (maybe the same blue it is now :) ).

seeya
Shane L.

Thanks Shane,
Still along way to go before top coats but I'm now pretty well fixed on keeping her original AC639 Bleu Lagune. The only other option for me was Bleu de Orient a dark blue that was used in the '70's, the panels would have to be absolutely perfect to carry a dark colour. AC639 should be a little more forgiving and I have already strayed enough from original, I've come to really like Bleu Lagune :wink2:

How is your project progressing? We're missing your updates . . .

Cheers
Chris

I've then trial fitted the trim, glass and light bucket, all good, snug and looks like I'll get a good seal.

I've made a small mod to my number plate, poor ol' D(very)Special is smarting after all this :clown:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

That's what I'm talkin' about! I like Bleu Lagune Chris... speaks of the era.

Here's some inspiration..

v33tNKv.png

Last edited:
That's what I'm talkin' about! I like Bleu a Lagune Chris... speaks of the era.

Here's some inspiration..

v33tNKv.png

You've got a great sense for colour and style Matthew - here's one for you. . .

The original roof colour on my car was/is Bleu Lagune, but, considering the black aftermarket sunroof what say you to using Bleu de Orient as the roof colour? Run it through your paint app for me :tongue:

Cheers
Chris