GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Aircon Compressor

Hello Chris,
While reading your story I noticed you have a rotary air conditioner compressor and wondered if you could find the brand and model number or details of where it came from as I want to change the compressor on my DS23 as I don't like the reciprocating unit fitted.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,
I have no knowledge of aircon compressors, I certainly didn't know mine was a rotary compressor...
When it was working it worked very well, and cooled the car quite quickly even in summer here. If the car had been sitting in the sun, I would throw the sunroof open for about 2 minutes to clear the hot trapped air, crank up the aircon, and soon be quite comfortable.

I couldn't find anything on the compressor that meant anything to me, here's a couple of pics that may give you some clues?

I have to remove it and a bunch of other stuff at some stage to clean, paint the bracket ect. Fit the three pulley water pump, and while I'm back on mechanicals fit a Richo (jackafrica) reco steering rack. I'll get some better pics then.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Compressor1.jpg
    Compressor1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Compressor2.jpg
    Compressor2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 523
I am sorry to say I can not cast any light on the prolems you have there. I used the old rubberso everything just slid into place.

I hope you get a bit of warm weather to help that new seal adapt to the right shape. How thick is the new windscreen? I assume the seal is for 5mm glass but Jack Africa has had good results with a 3mm screen he says.

If I was in Brissy I would come and give you a hand getting that screen in as I know it is a handful to do alone. Not sure about the "adjustment" using a hammer though.

When I nod my head hit it!!

Heat :>)

I am sorry to say I can not cast any light on the prolems you have there. I used the old rubberso everything just slid into place.

I hope you get a bit of warm weather to help that new seal adapt to the right shape. How thick is the new windscreen? I assume the seal is for 5mm glass but Jack Africa has had good results with a 3mm screen he says.

If I was in Brissy I would come and give you a hand getting that screen in as I know it is a handful to do alone. Not sure about the "adjustment" using a hammer though.

When I nod my head hit it!!

Hi Michael,

I think the new screens are 5mm and the old were 7mm?

The screen is pretty well identical to the one I'm replacing, the new rubber is all but identical to the old. The inner profile is a slight wedge like the male end of a dovetail joint. To me it's looks like the rubber closes onto the glass when it is located in the surround so I'm not too concerned about leaks at the seal. I have reclaimed the mastic to re-use at the base of the screen.

The Tony Jackson PDF talks about fibre strips being inserted into the rubber on the inside - refers to them as anti-rattle, not seen anything like that on a D before, maybe it was somethig used on the very early cars? This would be a way of accommodating the missing 2mm on newer screens?

You've promted an idea with your reply, I might use a hair-dryer on the corners to soften and take the spring out when I go for a second attempt next weekend :wink2:

Just about everything I do on this car presents a small challenge, often with a small break and perhaps a little research it all comes together, the windscreen is no different. I'll get there... :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

I couldn't find anything on the compressor that meant anything to me, here's a couple of pics that may give you some clues?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.
Can I be a right royal pain in the A%$ and ask if you could post some pictures of the whole compressor in the engine bay to see how its fitted and the pully set up and just to take up more of your time some pictures of the inside unit.

I am planning to convert mine to a rotary and the make a new inside unit which will fit round the front firewall as the exisiting one rubs against your leg when driving and its not very comfortable.

Thank you

Colin

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.
Can I be a right royal pain in the A%$ and ask if you could post some pictures of the whole compressor in the engine bay to see how its fitted and the pully set up and just to take up more of your time some pictures of the inside unit.

I am planning to convert mine to a rotary and the make a new inside unit which will fit round the front firewall as the exisiting one rubs against your leg when driving and its not very comfortable.

Thank you

Colin

No problem Colin,
I'll get to it this loooong weekend :wink2:

The compressor is just sitting in place not bolted up so an easy task to get some pics. Mine has the Auto-Clima under dash installation, so the main unit sits under the passenger side, with the air vents running the full length of the dash. Never had a problem with it rubbing against my leg?

I notice there is a full unit for sale on UK Ebay (been listed a few times), but quite expensive...

Cheers
Chris

The compressor looks like it's a Sanden SD7...... used on a lot of cars :) Are they used as a "universal" compressor ?

seeya,
Shane L.

...meanwhile back at the windscreen :>)

This video is worth a viewing, posted by SilverBullet in his DS resto thread. There are a multitude of little tips that are hard to pin-point. Might be just seeing someone else fitting a screen that gives confidence?

The mastic they use is a 3M product that as far as I have found we don't get here, Internet sellers say they don't ship overseas, shame as it costs around US$15.00 for more than enough to do one car. Product is 3M Windo Weld Ribbon Sealer Code 8612. jackafrica recommends Wurth Mastic which to date I have been unable to locate in Australia...

So, after the new rubber seal had sat in the window frame on the car for a week I thought time to have a go at fitting the screen, I fitted the rubber to the screen but it was still a little springy. 'Thought bubble', I used masking tape and taped the rubber tightly to the screen, especially at the tight bend in the corners. This was like a strap of tape across the rubber and onto the screen, I then cut the tape where it crosses the gap so that the rubber would still slide into the frame.

Bingo success, with the able assistance of Mrs GB and my daughter supporting the screen I was able to manipulate the rubber into position, one side at a time, and lift the screen fully into the frame.

attachment.php

Needless to say I'm thrilled, I think I've been stressing over this more than any other project on the car. Just need to find a suitable mastic to seal the underside of the screen.

Oh, and seeing the pics above, I hated the gloss finish on the scuttle, stripped it all back to bare metal and re-painted with a satin black - happy now :blush:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Windscreen in1.jpg
    Windscreen in1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,317
Chris,

Did you refurbish the seats?
If yes what type of material is it andwhere to get? That is the colour am after for the 23.
Cheers

Chris,

Did you refurbish the seats?
If yes what type of material is it andwhere to get? That is the colour am after for the 23.
Cheers

Hi Phil,
No, the upholstery was refurbed before I became custodian, the fabric is still in very good condition, I've been slowly cleaning and hitting the cleaned components with Scotch Guard protector ready to be re-installed. The colour would suit your car, grey with a small blue fleck (hard to see in the pics). You're welcome to borrow say a headrest and show it to your upholsterer :wink2:

Spent today cleaning up the mess on the inside of the car (well mostly the dash) with all the grinding/sanding etc. everything is covered in fine rust dust, have a look at the speaker in the footwell. :eek:

Fitted the new steering wheel, the old one was beyond repair, it had swollen to twice its normal size. That's a replacement instrument cluster $38.00Aus from Ebay, again much better than mine, and a little treasure also from Ebay $6.00Aus NOS centre pocket which I bought with a few other goodies from the same seller. Yes, that's a working Jaeger clock

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next major project is getting the roof painted, then re-lined and fit the sunroof, and back on the car - have to start saving that's going to drain the funds big time...

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Dash4.jpg
    Dash4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4,246
  • Dash2.jpg
    Dash2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,257
We are all dying to know where you got that brilliant looking steering wheel from.... Would it be rude to ask the cost of such an amazing looking item fitted in a DS?

I amazed how much a good steering wheel makes the inside of a DS look!

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Phil,
No, the upholstery was refurbed before I became custodian, the fabric is still in very good condition, I've been slowly cleaning and hitting the cleaned components with Scotch Guard protector ready to be re-installed. The colour would suit your car, grey with a small blue fleck (hard to see in the pics). You're welcome to borrow say a headrest and show it to your upholsterer :wink2:

Chris

Thanks for the offer Chris.
I guess I can get something similar ,but the original DS material is definitely not available anywhere.
Congratulations by the way, and yes, nice steering wheel.

Nice thread.
You have a part there, that I had a hand in.
Glad to see it will go to good use.
:cheers:

I'm relieved that you have removed your hand from my part... :blush:

There is an American connection in a few of the replacement parts I'll be fitting (have fitted), including the video of the windscreen fitment, I'll say no more... many thanks :thanks: :worship: :thanks:

Cheers
Chris

How strange, this thread has wandered and is now temporarily about CX steering wheels :clown:.... That's a Series II wheel in that ebay advert. These look different, and I'm unsure if there slightly different fitting wise. If your going to buy one, let me know and I'll try the steering wheel out of my car in a Series I CX and verify it fits ok. The good news is they seem to be effected by the sun nowhere near as much as the earlier wheels.

C'mon GB, pull your finger out, we want to see piccies of the DS back on the road with the family onboard enjoying a *real* Citroen :p Once it's on the road, you can get rid of the BX, C5,etc... .and get your wife into a CX prestige and enjoy the upkeep of only two cars :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.

...back to some mechanical work :>)

A few things have come together to help get D(v)S a little more reliable...

I now have richo's revamped alternator ready to fit ( check details here >>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89583 <<< ), and a good while back I organised a Reco-Sphere reconditioned steering rack which again is a work of art with lovely factory markings - thanks richo :wink2:
I also have a reconditioned 3 pulley water pump to fit so I can get the aircon working again...

So, radiator out...

attachment.php

Crappy pic? 2 pulley water pump and old steering rack removed...

attachment.php

New rack, ready to install (maybe next week, much cleaning to do before re-fit...).

attachment.php

Water pump and a little bit of new bling - timing gauge :wink2:

attachment.php

Next week I hope to tidy things up, clean, paint and get a few things back together again, I'll get the radiator rodded during the week... :)

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Radiator out.jpg
    Radiator out.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 469
  • New rack.jpg
    New rack.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,020
  • New Waterpump1.jpg
    New Waterpump1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,478