DS Alternator upgrade

GreenBlood

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
My alternator has finally died, stuffed it's coil, retired given it's last spark of energy and no longer alternates, it has curled up it's poles and is ready for a long earned rest... best described as a dead short!!

I mentioned this to richo, and we discussed options, more amps, no modifications to existing mounts, period appearance, no modification to existing wiring, alternator light in dash, in built regulator and all in the same size housing as original alternator...

Richo set to work and researched possibilities... I'm stoked, 100+ amps, 57 available at idle, readily available parts if it ever needs maintenance work, over engineered and very solid components - but wait, there's more it will be supplied with a very complete re-build kit. All at a price well under anything I had been quoted for a far lesser replacement.

I supply my fan - pulley and bracket, richo puts it all together. I don't understand the technicalities but this no straight forward exercise, requiring components from various sources overseas and some skilled modification to the housing(s) to make it a straight swap into my car. A subsequent custodian can readily revert to original with no evidence of this modification.

This is some of richo's work, the modifications are all hand filed/ shaped and amazingly the blast finish is matched to the existing. The attention to detail is astonishing. All metric head fasteners. Richo's Safari is fitted up similarly and has been running reliably for the past couple of years, though on only half the output, yet in the same case. This is not a beta tester...

Citroen 9mm bolt for the earth connection (this in the process of being nickel plated).

attachment.php

Front mount modification before and after.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Close up of removed section – file marks? What file marks? :spy:

attachment.php

Rear view, black to alternator light, red to battery, and main battery connection, simple.

attachment.php

As seen fitted to car, minus fan and pulley.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I’m thrilled, this beast will more than cover my requirements, aircon/ lights/ sound amp/ and possibly our camping fridge.

I’ll post final images when installed, can’t thank richo enough, he has gone to a huge amount of trouble researching and finding the necessary parts that would not usually come together - absolutely stoked :worship: :thanks: :worship:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Alt 14 earth bolt.jpg
    Alt 14 earth bolt.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,514
  • Alt before shaping1.jpg
    Alt before shaping1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,451
  • Alt 1 reshaped.jpg
    Alt 1 reshaped.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,467
  • Alt 2 reshaped.jpg
    Alt 2 reshaped.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,457
  • Alt rear.jpg
    Alt rear.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3,015
  • Alt assembled top.jpg
    Alt assembled top.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Alt assembled front.jpg
    Alt assembled front.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,486
Looks great. I like the simple wiring! If that unit will have the original fan fitted than it will look nice and period.

The biggest I've know fitted to a DS was the late Paul Smith's DS23 EFI Auto had a Japanese brand 110 AMP unit. He was always excited he could have headlights, wipers and aircon all running happily while stuck in traffic.

Nice work Richo.

Understatement Craig, Richo is a gem of monumental proportions, his enthusiasm for Citroen especially the D model is remarkable, his generosity on this forum is often veiled by his humility. His attention to detail is beyond anything I have witnessed.

I have a reconditioned steering rack via Richo that has been supplied to me as if it came from the factory not only painted but with all the correct factory markings, same with a set of adjustable damper spheres. No one I know of in Australia is prepared to attend to this kind of detail with passion, Richo openly get a kick out of helping others.

If I had half his talent I could do justice to his input into my car, sadly my skills lie elsewhere but I'm inspired to lift my game.

Cheers
Chris

But Chris, you made THE coolest business cards I ever had!

Who else had a transparent business card with a red DS on it?

But Chris, you made THE coolest business cards I ever had!

Who else had a transparent business card with a red DS on it?

:blush: we should do an upgrade on those, they were cool with the car reading from both side of the card.

My contribution is limited to printing stickers, BTW, you mentioned you have painted your aircleaner - do you have a set of GB stickers for it?

Cheers
Chris

Truely perfect job Richo, perfect!!

That alternator IS AMAZING, now I'm tempted to fit it to my car/s!!! :D

One day soon...ish

Quite a few D owners here will like that alternator system!!

Corne

:blush: we should do an upgrade on those, they were cool with the car reading from both side of the card.

My contribution is limited to printing stickers, BTW, you mentioned you have painted your aircleaner - do you have a set of GB stickers for it?

Cheers
Chris

Well I'll be buttered on both sides, here's an image of one of those alternators and Chris's excellent stickers.

fd4ltj.jpg

Well I'll be buttered on both sides, here's an image of one of those alternators and Chris's excellent stickers.

I'm loving your heater, looks like a bought one, I see you use the same dot system on your wing wiring I do, saves that decision is this brown or very aged violet :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

I'm loving your heater, looks like a bought one, I see you use the same dot system on your wing wiring I do, saves that decision is this brown or very aged violet :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

It is indeed a bought one. NOS about three years ago from Darrin Brownhill of Citroen Classics
http://www.citroenclassics.com/
Heater and tap complete, cost a motza and so happy with it, after repairing my original heater a few times.
Did the heating improve? No, my original wasn't blocked, just less than brilliant in appearance and repairing the seams wasn't sufficient. The tap was old and the seal on its last legs.
Generously, Darrin removed the heater core and tap assembly from a New Old Stock complete unit he had kept aside. The fan motor and casing he probably still has, but too large for the post, unfortunately or I would've bought that as well.

Sounds like an option everyone should have for their 'D' - Richo is a generous frogger who makes time to help whenever he can. How much do these wonderful upgrades cost please?

Apart from the two I have, this was made for a mate who has done a lot for me. A perfect result paramount.
I dislike declining, please understand this is not a job only money buys, I'm sorry.

alternator rebuild

people like richo make this forum and owning these cars all the more pleasurable and those of us who have attempted "as original" restoration will understand how important it is when you try to make old car look as original as possible yet function in a modern context. the pursuit for "attention to detail" is usually a deafening thought wave in my head space. so i appreciate richo's work.

i recently had the opportunity to conduct a transaction with richo and must say he is a gentlemen. i sooooo enjoy this forum, i have had nothing but FAB entertainment and come across some genuine people.

also a forum like this serve as a brilliant resource tool for the enthusiasts and car buffs for generation to follow.

still looking for my GS sunroof ! may have found one ?

Hi Aldo,
Congratulations on the new acquisition. I'll reply to your PM properly in the next couple of days. Very busy here.
In short, I'll try to help you. Think I have one 100+ amp left, and a couple of rated65+ (which actually put out 80+) which have proved well and truly sufficient.
Phoning me is the easiest way to make contact with me.
Hope this helps.