GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Sometimes I check this thread to see how I'm going, sheesh I need to pull my finger out, when I see the rapid progress others are making I feel like a real slacker :(

Thanks Toby,
Room, apart from a double carport, and the mighty Supercheap man shed, I have now taken over my son's and daughter's bedrooms, a fair portion of the back deck, and I'd say it's a safe bet there will be a Citroen part or two in just about every room in the house :eek:

Motivation, not really a problem, my frustration is lack of serious time. I manage to start something but seldom finish to a point I'm happy with without having to pack-up and tidy my work area. I'd love a solid month to do nothing but get the car back on the road.

Work continues on the front passenger door

This shouldn't take long :clown:
The bottom is solid, a couple of rust bubble on the lower skin...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After poking around with a screwdriver, I could see I needed to do a small repair to the inside and outside of this corner. I opened the skin on the inside and cut the rust out, made a flanged patch to fit in under the open cut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Before welding the inner I cut the rust from the outer skin and welded in a patch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did the same for the other area of rust.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The top corners of the door frame had the usual small splits, so I've just hit them with a little bronze.

attachment.php

attachment.php

...and that's about it for this weekend, I've just hit the bottom of the door with primer to hold it until next week. I'll strip the rest of the door with a strip disk and prep and prime next weekend - weather permitting.

attachment.php

Just a pic of my humble MIG, I use the disposable bottles for gas, they're around $25.00. and have a reasonable life, I think I'm on my third bottle now for this project.

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Absolutely brilliant ....... I see you have resorted to using gas in the MIG ..... Makes a massive difference doesn't it :) You slow though ...... I haven't even looked at the ID in about 2months. I should have a set of gassed spheres sorted for it by the end of the week though :evil:

seeya,
Shane L.

Don't forget to make up the missing clip for the rubber at the bottom of the leading edge. You need it crimped in to hold the rubber strip on and you will kick youself if it's not there and the rubber flaps about when it's painted.

Hi Chris

what's the tool that flanges your replacement pieces of steel? And what type of steel is it/ source? What are you using to cut the door skin? Sorry... too many qtns..

Thanks

Matthew :)

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant ....... I see you have resorted to using gas in the MIG ..... Makes a massive difference doesn't it :) You slow though ...... I haven't even looked at the ID in about 2months. I should have a set of gassed spheres sorted for it by the end of the week though :evil:

seeya,
Shane L.

Thanks Shane, True, my first welds were using the MIG gasless, I could never go back gas is giving much more control and cleaner welds. My goal is to end up with an invisible patch, getting closer - if I can pluck up the courage my real test will be letting in repair panels on the front guards under the headlights :eek:

Don't forget to make up the missing clip for the rubber at the bottom of the leading edge. You need it crimped in to hold the rubber strip on and you will kick youself if it's not there and the rubber flaps about when it's painted.

hahaha, thanks David, I did remember to weld the tab in place before I folded the skin. Looks like a bought one :clown:

attachment.php

Hi Chris

what's the tool that flanges your replacement pieces of steel? And what type of steel is it/ source?

Thanks

Matthew,
I looked around for something half decent without spending a huge amount and ended up with this

attachment.php

Purchased through Ebay UK - 85pounds plus shipping not cheap, but it easily flanges/joddles/joggles panel steel. You can turn the head and use the hole punch for plug welds.

Panel steel, I went to my local panel beater and raided their scrap bin (with their permission) :D

Edit: Just noticed your last question, for all the metal cuts I've used a 1mm cutting wheel on my trusty angle grinder. I keep the worn wheels for getting into tighter spots (In the last pic of my Mig you can see the Makita on the floor with the very worn wheel). You'll see overcuts on the pic with the magnet holding in the patch - these are easily filled with the Mig.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Flanger.jpg
    Flanger.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,192
  • Inside tab.jpg
    Inside tab.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,212
Thanks Chris

I'm going to get rid of the aerial on my front guard.. don't listen to radio and it ruins the lines of the guard. Currently a nice jagged hole where it is fitted. Looks like they cut it with a butter knife!

Dec 18th. Hot and sweaty....

Just too hot and humid here to continue with panel work, things have stalled :(

By the time I mix filler it's gone off, the SuperCheap shed offers no respite from the 30+ temperatures, and the associated humidity has ruled out physical outdoor work - I just turn into a lather of sweat. :wimp: :blush:

Indoor work - always plenty to do! Cleaning removed rubbers, brackets etc. ready to go back on the car.

RHD binnacle switches, almost impossible to get as NOS, but with the right bits and pieces we can still restore old.

These were on the car, no way I could now use these with the rest of the dash restored.

attachment.php

Replacements have been pulled apart, stalks chromed and new knobs fitted. Utilising parts from appropiate RHD and LHD switches.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I didn't perform this work, and would need to ask permission before giving due credit. This has been done for me on an exchange basis for work I am able to do i.e. some tricky graphics and screenprinting of Citroen related parts. The result as seen is staggering and now completes the dash restoration - now all matt black replaced with chrome.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 1Out with the old.jpg
    1Out with the old.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 2 Headlight.jpg
    2 Headlight.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 3Wiper Indicator.jpg
    3Wiper Indicator.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,185
Try working on a car in Darwin, sweat bath not an option!
mandatory! 3 big fans from different angles helps...

Try working on a car in Darwin, sweat bath not an option!
mandatory! 3 big fans from different angles helps...

My fans deserted me a long time ago :clown:

No, I just need patience - pick the days when I can do some body work. As you would be well aware there is a huge amount of work that can be done inside in air-conditioned comfort. I'm too old to stress, it will all come together and probably quite quickly once painted.

Cheers
Chris

By the time I mix filler it's gone off, the SuperCheap shed offers no respite from the 30+ temperatures, and the associated humidity has ruled out physical outdoor work - I just turn into a lather of sweat. :wimp: :blush:

Indoor work - always plenty to do! Cleaning removed rubbers, brackets etc. ready to go back on the car.

RHD binnacle switches, almost impossible to get as NOS, but with the right bits and pieces we can still restore old.

These were on the car, no way I could now use these with the rest of the dash restored.

Replacements have been pulled apart, stalks chromed and new knobs fitted. Utilising parts from appropiate RHD and LHD switches.

Cheers
Chris

Looks great Chis.

With regards to the heat, are you saying today wasn't the best day for me to plant 20 Lilly Pillies in the back yard? It's only 30 in the shade.:blackeye:
:D

Looks beautiful Chris, the chrome stalks really are nicer than the weathered painted ones (like mine) but I suspect there were a good few hours involved in that job.

Cleaning rubbers is a mucky job, hours of soaking and scrubbing. It occasionally amuses me to think while driving that all the rubber parts of my D have been through the family washing machine (sshhhh..!) and I have lugged every panel and piece of trim up and down my driveway many times.

A dismantled DS takes an amazing amount of space. One car requires three garages.

Looks great Chis.

With regards to the heat, are you saying today wasn't the best day for me to plant 20 Lilly Pillies in the back yard? It's only 30 in the shade.:blackeye:
:D

Hedge? How close together have you planted? They're pretty hardy keep them well watered for a week or so...
[hahaha as if I'd know - :roflmao:]

I've started pulling the front fence down, digging down 600mm to remove posts and probably 50kg of concrete for each - when you're done over there pop over and lend a hand :clown:

Sandblaster works a treat BTW, messy with no way to contain the grit, but gets into nooks and crannies - a good addition to the arsenal. Had a win on ebay too a while back and scored a very nice spray gun Satajet 3000 yours for a loan when you're ready :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Looks beautiful Chris, the chrome stalks really are nicer than the weathered painted ones (like mine) but I suspect there were a good few hours involved in that job.

Cleaning rubbers is a mucky job, hours of soaking and scrubbing. It occasionally amuses me to think while driving that all the rubber parts of my D have been through the family washing machine (sshhhh..!) and I have lugged every panel and piece of trim up and down my driveway many times.

A dismantled DS takes an amazing amount of space. One car requires three garages.

At this stage it's just tizz Michael, definitely not work I'd be bothered with if the car were on the road. Just paid another six months rego and the plan is to be driving within that time - I kept her registered at great expense to the financial controller because my insurers won't cover the car under 'home and contents' and won't insure an unregistered car. It's another cost that needs to be factored into a rolling restoration... rego and insurance for 4 years of non use!!!

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Does your compressor/s have enough grunt to drive the sandblaster ok?

I've been drooling over one of these:-

http://www.tradetools.com/products/HD320

Budget doesn't quite get there yet, but should be there before mid year. Few changes in the wind. I will be 55 end of February which may open up viable alternatives.:headbang:

I have also set up two small sheds 800mm x 1800mm between the garage wall and the boundary fence line. Now for some shelving that can take weight of engines/gearboxes etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris.

Budget doesn't quite get there yet, but should be there before mid year. Few changes in the wind. I will be 55 end of February which may open up viable alternatives.:headbang:

I have also set up two small sheds 800mm x 1800mm between the garage wall and the boundary fence line. Now for some shelving that can take weight of engines/gearboxes etc.

Sheesh, that baby would require a magnetic blue triangle for sure :clown:
You'll probably have your booth set-up just in time for me to paint my panels over there hehe...

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Does your compressor/s have enough grunt to drive the sandblaster ok?

Wow ... you just found my next compressor :) Gee's that's cheap compared the the old thing I bought years ago too.

Hey GB, out of interest ..... Did you find any cracking around the lower door hinge on the doors .... It seems to be an early car problem, they possibly beefed up this area on the later panels.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hey GB, out of interest ..... Did you find any cracking around the lower door hinge on the doors .... It seems to be an early car problem, they possibly beefed up this area on the later panels.

seeya,
Shane L.

Yes, the front door I've just completed the rust repair on, a small crack just starting to appear you can see in this pic

attachment.php

I just ran a bead of welds there, the patch sits in under and gave me something to weld onto.

Cheers
Chris

D V Special

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I didn't perform this work, and would need to ask permission before giving due credit. This has been done for me on an exchange basis for work I am able to do i.e. some tricky graphics and screenprinting of Citroen related parts. The result as seen is staggering and now completes the dash restoration - now all matt black replaced with chrome.

Cheers
Chris

great work chris, were the stalk controls in reasonable condition ? over the years and long search i have managed to find some NOS and will be installing them onto the car. these are really hard to find now. what was done to get them to this condition ? was it polish back and paint in the grooves ?
this will look really excellent on completion.

great work chris, were the stalk controls in reasonable condition ? over the years and long search i have managed to find some NOS and will be installing them onto the car. these are really hard to find now. what was done to get them to this condition ? was it polish back and paint in the grooves ?
this will look really excellent on completion.

Lamoor,
Since that post I have been in contact with Greg Fienburg who is happy to be named as the one who has brought these stalks back to life. He needs switches that are fully functional, he removes the stalks and has them chromed, replaces the ends with new (not painted) re-assembles and bench tests. The process can take a while to complete a full set with parts sourced from OS, but for me with the car off the road it was well worth the wait.

Contact Greg on doublechevron(at)bigpond(dot)com

BTW, the dash I'm using is the one I bought from you, it has since been stripped and powdercoated in a finish very close to original. :)

Cheers
Chris