GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Those door skin pliers look interesting - did you source those locally?
roger

Eastwoods's in the USA Roger, I couldn't find anything close here in Aus. Pretty good to deal with and quite prompt.
The pliers actually do work really well, they make removing a skin a breeze, without damage to the skin or door frame. Likewise with that rubber crimp on the rear guard, cleanly opens the crimp without damage.
http://www.eastwood.com/

http://www.eastwood.com/door-skin-removal-pliers.html

Cheers
Chris

SSShhhhhh.... now how to sneak a purchase onto the credit card without my wife noticing :evil:

seeya,
Shane L.

Eastwoods's in the USA Roger, I couldn't find anything close here in Aus. Pretty good to deal with and quite prompt.
The pliers actually do work really well, they make removing a skin a breeze, without damage to the skin or door frame. Likewise with that rubber crimp on the rear guard, cleanly opens the crimp without damage.
http://www.eastwood.com/

http://www.eastwood.com/door-skin-removal-pliers.html

Cheers
Chris
Thanks for the lead, I will get myself a pair.
roger

Left Rear Door

Too much tool chat not enough work being done... :nownow:

Finished blocking off the rear guard, this is still using 320 grit dry so still has a soft look. It will do for now, I'll put away safely and when ready for top coats finish with 400 grit wet.

attachment.php

Now, who remembers that rear passenger door that I cut the bottom out of - you'd be forgiven if you've forgotten it was 12 months ago :eek:

Link to visit work done October 2011
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...tion-2009-gt&p=1002543&viewfull=1#post1002543

Pulled it out yesterday as it is the next panel in line, looked a little sad, the work done was still good but I decided to replace the two bottom ends (when you buy the repair panels these are included). Mostly MIG but I cheated and used a little bronze.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then decided the only thing stopping me from have a go at the outer skin was FEAR... I'm a bit miffed because I thought I was taking progress pics but I hadn't replaced the SD card in the camera - anyway this is what I did get.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The skin is quite flat before it is welded and the skin folded, but as you can see it takes on a nice curve once fitted. Fitting was all done by measurements, so time to see how it will look on the car before taking it any further.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still room for a little adjustment panel to panel, and some creative filling but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I got so excited I went for a spin on my Bathurst track in the back yard, great day here for open top cruising...
... remarkably throughout I have managed to keep the car mobile under it's own steam :cool:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 12Left Guard final blocking.jpg
    12Left Guard final blocking.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • Left end welded.jpg
    Left end welded.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Left Rear Outer Skin Weld.jpg
    Left Rear Outer Skin Weld.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Left Rear Outer Skin Weld2.jpg
    Left Rear Outer Skin Weld2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Left Rear Outer Skin1.jpg
    Left Rear Outer Skin1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Rear door guard trial fit.jpg
    Rear door guard trial fit.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,253
  • Rear door guard trial fit3.jpg
    Rear door guard trial fit3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Rear door guard trial fit4.jpg
    Rear door guard trial fit4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Backyard2.jpg
    Backyard2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Inside bottom welds.jpg
    Inside bottom welds.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,241
Did you manage to seem weld that entire patch in without rippling the whole door panel :eek: ... That is amazing! Did you just stretch/shrink the distorted metal as you welded it :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Did you manage to seem weld that entire patch in without rippling the whole door panel :eek: ... That is amazing! Did you just stretch/shrink the distorted metal as you welded it :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

The repair panel is joddled(sp) under the old cut skin, the whole thing is well thought out in my view, because of the joddle and bottom (middle) fold the repair panel is quite strong. I did what I knew I could, spot welds into the seam about 50mm apart, then back to the beginning and welds at 25mm gaps, and kept repeating the process until there were no gaps between welds. Slow and tedious, but it kept the heat from ever being concentrated in one spot.

Believe me, I've been putting this off and 12 months have passed since I began. Welding this thin sheet worried the crap out of me, but I seem to have pulled it off. A little bit of tweaking and I think it should be hard to pick.

Cheers
Chris

Just a call out for Fivedoor :headbang:

Who went to extraordinary trouble yesterday to drop off his loan sand blaster gun. I can't wait to give it a blast, just need to swap the air connector over to suit my lines. Don't you just love this forum... :wink2:

Many thanks it will be put to good use, I'll grab some safety gear as suggested before I have a play :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Great thread, and to think it would take all this to replace a starter...

Cute, the tragedy would of course be that it has now taken so long to get the car back on the road that the starter will need replacing again...lol

Cheers
Chris

Just as a minor comparison... It took me 4 goes at getting my panels 'half' decent, I had to return to the task two more times after finishing up and dropping the panels after bogging and sanding. They are quite challenging as it is. Yours look great!
I'm toying with repainting mine now to original colour.
Cheers Steven

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 406
October 10th. Front passenger door - panel fit

Just as a minor comparison... It took me 4 goes at getting my panels 'half' decent, I had to return to the task two more times after finishing up and dropping the panels after bogging and sanding. They are quite challenging as it is. Yours look great!
I'm toying with repainting mine now to original colour.
Cheers Steven

Keep us posted on your progress Steven, I'm flipping all over the place on the final colour for mine. There is a strong argument to stay with original and Bleu Lagune does look good with the black upholstery. Plenty of time for my final decision...:wink2:

I'm working to get the best panel fit I can, so have made adjustments now to the rear guard and repaired door (it looks better but is now a little close to the guard - easy fix). As the rear door has had the complete bottom replaced I need to hang the front passenger door now to check how the adjustments I have made affect the front door position.

So, I've pulled out the front passenger door, I cant believe how heavy and awkward a fully assembled door is. It will be the next panel in line for preparation so stripping off the hardware may as well happen now as later and will make handling much easier without half it's weight.

I've taken pics along the way, this will be teaching 'granny to suck eggs' (where did that saying originate?) for most of you but hopefully useful for those that have yet to pull a door down, maybe a few tips for those that are all too familiar?

The door is a beauty, some surface rust on the underside only, shape is good, a couple of very small bog bubbles on the lower fold. Which will reveal rust but should be an easy fix - anything is after that rear door.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

To remove the door card on a D Special, firstly remove the armrest - 2 x Pozi drive screws (yes I'm using a Philips head driver :nownow: )

attachment.php

Next the window winder, Just need to depress the doorcard sufficient to remove the holding pin. I find use of welding clamps makes it an easy task. With the forks of the clamps between the plastic trim and handle you can lever downward as you push out the pin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can now pry up the door card, put that spring with your collection of bits.

attachment.php

Now we are going to remove the glass, first undo the two M5 bolts extreme left and right.

attachment.php

Next the two spring clips under the lower arm mechanism. Release the arm from the glass support.

attachment.php

There is a large spring clamp that now needs to be opened in order to release the glass. I discovered a second use for the Citroen steering column spring compressor, it is the perfect tool for this job.

attachment.php

It slides into the spring clamp, and using the lever it opens the spring making withdrawal of the glass simple.

attachment.php

Next drop the winder mechanism, 4 x M5. and remove.

attachment.php

Internal door handle, undo the large chrome nut N.B. TREAT AS LEFT HAND THREAD!! RELEASE BY TURNING CLOCKWISE.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Turn the handle 90 degrees and lift, remove the rubber strap and release the handle from the actuator rod.

attachment.php

Next that big chrome nut, it's held by a washer with a split, I just lever the washer and wind it off the thread.

attachment.php

Next I remove the window slide channel, it gives more access for removal of the outer door handle.

attachment.php

So, to the external lift style door handle, it is secured by two 10mm (from memory) nuts.
This is the easy one :wink2:

attachment.php

This one I find easier working from the outside of the panel.

attachment.php

Now release the actuating rod, M5 screw.

attachment.php

The door lock, simply lever the securing clip and it drops out.

attachment.php

All done, and half the weight. I've left the door catch and hinges because I'm hanging the door on the car.

attachment.php

...and finally on the car, I can see plenty of tweaking to get it right (or close to right) :eek:

attachment.php

The back of the front door needs lifting, add one shim to the lower front. The rear door can move forwards, remove upper and lower shims one of each. this should close the middle gap and open the rear gap, I'll report back...

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 24Door rehung.jpg
    24Door rehung.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • 5Welding clamp.jpg
    5Welding clamp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,772
  • 6Remove Pin.jpg
    6Remove Pin.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 7Winder removed.jpg
    7Winder removed.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 8Door card removed.jpg
    8Door card removed.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,766
  • 9Remove M5 nuts both sides.jpg
    9Remove M5 nuts both sides.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,039
  • 10Remove 2 x Spring clips.jpg
    10Remove 2 x Spring clips.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,750
  • 17Dor handle nut.jpg
    17Dor handle nut.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,284
  • 11Steering column tool.jpg
    11Steering column tool.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,027
  • 12Open Spring.jpg
    12Open Spring.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,034
  • 13Winder mechanism 4 x M5.jpg
    13Winder mechanism 4 x M5.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,705
  • 14Inner door handle.jpg
    14Inner door handle.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,691
  • 15Door handle left hand thread.jpg
    15Door handle left hand thread.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 16 Door handle rod.jpg
    16 Door handle rod.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,709
  • 18Remove window slide channel.jpg
    18Remove window slide channel.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,693
  • 19External door handle 2 x 10mm.jpg
    19External door handle 2 x 10mm.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,686
  • 20External door handle 2nd 10mm.jpg
    20External door handle 2nd 10mm.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 21External door handle actuation rod 8mm.jpg
    21External door handle actuation rod 8mm.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,748
  • 22Door lock sprung clip.jpg
    22Door lock sprung clip.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 5,409
  • 23Door stripped.jpg
    23Door stripped.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,838
  • 4Remove Pozi screws.jpg
    4Remove Pozi screws.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,801
  • 3Door bottom.jpg
    3Door bottom.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 2Door intact.jpg
    2Door intact.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,780
  • 1Door.jpg
    1Door.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5,415
Just a call out for Fivedoor :headbang:

Who went to extraordinary trouble yesterday to drop off his loan sand blaster gun. I can't wait to give it a blast, just need to swap the air connector over to suit my lines. Don't you just love this forum... :wink2:

Many thanks it will be put to good use, I'll grab some safety gear as suggested before I have a play :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Just lashed out on a Sand Blasting Hood 1cent on Ebay + $20.08 delivery
It's probably rubbish but for the sort of use it will get should suit my needs.

attachment.php

Fivedoor, I've run air through you gun and all is good, I'll grab a bucket of grit from Supercheap (thanks Michaelr) and experiment on the weekend. Crash helmet until my new purchase arrives.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Blasting_Hood.jpg
    Blasting_Hood.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,094
Looking like good progress GB. The pictorial of stripping the door will become a very useful resource world wide!

Fantastic to see a good solution to the opening of the glass retaining spring using the steering column tool. It has always been a real source of frustration.

One point I will pick you up on though:

"Internal door handle, undo the large chrome nut N.B. LEFT HAND THREAD!!"

Nope, it is a right hand thread, but your viewpoint is from the "wrong" side so it is a little counter intuitive.

With the sand blaster, don't forget to buy a few kg of baking soda (Bi-carb) too, it really is very useful for delicate items.

Looking like good progress GB. The pictorial of stripping the door will become a very useful resource world wide!

Fantastic to see a good solution to the opening of the glass retaining spring using the steering column tool. It has always been a real source of frustration.

One point I will pick you up on though:

"Internal door handle, undo the large chrome nut N.B. LEFT HAND THREAD!!"

Nope, it is a right hand thread, but your viewpoint is from the "wrong" side so it is a little counter intuitive.

With the sand blaster, don't forget to buy a few kg of baking soda (Bi-carb) too, it really is very useful for delicate items.

Hmmm, OK, I concede you are correct, to clarify the big chrome nut is undone by turning clockwise as seen in the above image. If it were a normal nut on a thread with the same viewpoint you would undo it by turning anti-clockwise. Do we agree on that description? :wink2:

I remember well the struggles I've had in the past opening that spring clamp to remove the glass and worse yet when replacing. The tool shown above just makes it a doddle as when turned the lever/handle locks the spring open. It would be very easy to make similar without going to the expense of buying one.

Baking soda added to the shopping list - thank you :)

Cheers
Chris

Looks good, good luck

Thanks for the show and tell.

You know I like you car the way it is now, a convertible :D

Or can I suggest a panaromic roof:headbang::roflmao:

Looks good, good luck

Thanks for the show and tell.

You know I like you car the way it is now, a convertible :D

Or can I suggest a panaromic roof:headbang::roflmao:

You mean like this?

attachment.php

Could be a little warm in Queensland summer, but aesthetically very, very cool :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DS clear roof - La dixieme victime.jpg
    DS clear roof - La dixieme victime.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,107
Only yours would have higher quality finish around the edges. It could be your night time car.:D