For Renault 12 fans

For that angle on the first image, I reckon they would have nearly been laying down, or at best heavily squatted down. They were heavilly committed to that position.

I hope there was a tree near.

Stumbled across this on Pinterest. Man they look fabulous like this :headbang:

Dacia 12G.jpg

Exactly!

Lack of bumpers make-ith the car :p Oh and those rear arches help too!

Stumbled across this on Pinterest. Man they look fabulous like this :headbang:

View attachment 107025

It's a Dacia so it's probably got the 810 (or a version there-of) motor.
The R15/16/17 were not sold in Romania so there weren't any 807 motors to be had unless they're from another country.
But still looks good in the Gordini blue with the R12G stripes.

googled me into this fantastic shot of a late model 12

img-1751125672.jpg

Hats to the photographer! standing on the outside of a corner like that with ye' old things running toward them.

How cool are those phat rear arches. I have seen a couple now set similarly, I suppose there was a panel one could buy back in the day? Actually more likely it was just the thing to do to fit the wheel I suppose. Anyway, awesome.

big-45393023b8.jpg

cb5e0ef751319bd87d2a8486f62b9202--renault--renault-sport.jpg

That "late model 12" as you put it is a real Gordini and those flairs are genuine Renault accessory as listed in the R12 Gordini parts book.

They where genuine parts? Imagine heading to the dealership with a modern cheap 4dr car and inquiring..

"Why good afternoon"
"Good afternoon Sir"
"Yes Good afternoon. Now listen, I want to go rallying. Perhaps you have some kind of body accessories I can attach to my sensible 4dr saloon car to allow an increase of tyre width and keep the scrutineers of my back. "
"Why yes Sir of course Sir. Just one moment whilst I confirm the part number.... oh yes here it is... oh yes there is one in our Western Australia store, let me just call them and secure you it for you. Say, perhaps I'll call you the day after next when they arrive?"
"Oh! Jolly good show shop keep. Why yes that would be splendid"
"Wonderful, Ta taaa for now"

What a Mysterious and wonderful time you all grew up in.

I mean David, let me borrow your set to make moulds from :p

Yes, back in those days after racing our Gordinis we could even celebrate success with a few drinks while watching live music at a bar in Sydney.

This is really sounding more and more like some kind of Utopian future.

How many manufacturers even then produced a "hot up" manual telling how to set up 12/15/17 for motor sport. Of course Renault did. It had "Performance .......something" in the title. I have several photo copies and a few parts translated into English.

They where genuine parts? Imagine heading to the dealership with a modern cheap 4dr car and inquiring..

"Why good afternoon"
"Good afternoon Sir"
"Yes Good afternoon. Now listen, I want to go rallying. Perhaps you have some kind of body accessories I can attach to my sensible 4dr saloon car to allow an increase of tyre width and keep the scrutineers of my back. "
"Why yes Sir of course Sir. Just one moment whilst I confirm the part number.... oh yes here it is... oh yes there is one in our Western Australia store, let me just call them and secure you it for you. Say, perhaps I'll call you the day after next when they arrive?"
"Oh! Jolly good show shop keep. Why yes that would be splendid"
"Wonderful, Ta taaa for now"

What a Mysterious and wonderful time you all grew up in.

I mean David, let me borrow your set to make moulds from :p

That's probably how it went, except I don't think Rod Slater the Perth dealer at the time stocked them. Even the 160hp Alpine kit and the Gordini stripe kit were all just part numbers. If I could find my 12 Gordini parts book I'll post some pages.

But here in Australia in the 70's you could walk into your Holden dealer and buy flares and spoiler kits to make your standard 6 cyl Torana looks like an SLR5000.

How many manufacturers even then produced a "hot up" manual telling how to set up 12/15/17 for motor sport. Of course Renault did. It had "Performance .......something" in the title. I have several photo copies and a few parts translated into English.

Oh thanks for reminding me, I nearly found a machine translator that was going to handle it well (the competition manual) but got distracted.

That's probably how it went, except I don't think Rod Slater the Perth dealer at the time stocked them. Even the 160hp Alpine kit and the Gordini stripe kit were all just part numbers. If I could find my 12 Gordini parts book I'll post some pages.

But here in Australia in the 70's you could walk into your Holden dealer and buy flares and spoiler kits to make your standard 6 cyl Torana looks like an SLR5000.

Wait there must be a bit of that attitude surviving today. Perhaps the Toyota 86 has a secondary parts cattle-dog under the desk of the dealers for when you ask nicely.. I suppose BMW / Porsche continue at least to offer their sport parts over the dealership counter?

Now in ZA we had Alconi, which started at the time of the R8 and into the R10 and R12, but also at the time of the R12 and then the R5 (Mk1) in Europe Renault started with its "Competition Kits Book", and all the major and enthusiast dealers in ZA had this "book". It listed all the "factory competition parts". I was loaned one of the books from a friend who had a dealership and photo copied it "cover to cover". As I had very good contacts at Renault Africa (South Africa) I could order parts direct for all my friends who wanted me to do conversions. To the point I even ordered (and made moulds from) a complete body kit for a R5 Maxi Turbo.

R12/17 Gordini parts were not really available but I was bringing in valves, valve springs, inlet manifolds, for the R8/10 to 16TS conversion people. and for some clone R12G cars. The last 2 365 boxes that sat at the warehouse for years I bought at very reduced prices, one went into a car in Jo'burg and the other came to Oz and went into a car in Perth.

My prize that I still have are a set of glass fibre "boutique" seats from the R12 rally pages of the Kits Book. They will be refurbished for my Gecko Dauphine.

As an added "side-bar", the boutique was a name Renault Europe gave to their showroom area where the competition parts would be displayed. We even had one in each of our 2 main Renault Dealerships in Rhodesia.

As "bowie" said they were the glory days......

Ray

Wait there must be a bit of that attitude surviving today. Perhaps the Toyota 86 has a secondary parts cattle-dog under the desk of the dealers for when you ask nicely.. I suppose BMW / Porsche continue at least to offer their sport parts over the dealership counter?

Well the BRZ does have some "motorsport" parts available, but the Subaru dealerships don't carry them....over here they would probably refer you to Maximum Motorsport who officially supply Subaru Motorsport parts in WA

By the way it is not known as a Toyota86 it is a"Toybaru"........

Having returned from a trip around eastern Europe I'm happy to advise many, many Dacia/R12 clones still exist around Bucharest. Only saw one hot looking one, but they're hard to pick as many have different headlight treatments. One thing that did catch my eye was a four door R12/Dacia ute!

Having returned from a trip around eastern Europe I'm happy to advise many, many Dacia/R12 clones still exist around Bucharest. Only saw one hot looking one, but they're hard to pick as many have different headlight treatments. One thing that did catch my eye was a four door R12/Dacia ute!

Dacia had quite a range of R12 commercials;
Dacia Utes.png