For Renault 12 fans

That was a great project to read about.

And who's is/was this Virarge Wooo Hoooo!

55912b5fb6c9359d7aa5b7d84eccb96d--renault--.jpg

This R12 is owned by an occasional poster on here. I expect the photo is at the Mt Cotton Hillclimb in QLD. This R12 is quite well sorted, running a modded R17 motor on Mikunis, and hubs converted to a 4 stud pattern (Maybe 4 x 100), and suspension mods, although I don't think it has turned a wheel in anger for many years.

Hi occasional poster, ah I think I read over some of his posts. Actually thinking about it, he might have been the inspiration that started all this, well for me at least.

Ah how nothing is new but merely rearanged.

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Moderator,

Maybe we need to move this to the Renault model specific sub-forum.
The Koleos boy are probably lonely in there all by themselves.

If this is now the official R12 appreciation thread, I better put up a pic or three of my old Trojan :approve: now residing in the new owners back yard wasting away :(

068.jpg071.jpg083.jpg

Nice Virage, J-Man. Shame about the new owners though.

She actually put it on Gumtree with her other R12 a while back because she's just not in a position to do them up. If only I had more room so I didn't have to sell a car to buy another :cry:
Apart from a rusty door and boot lid, the rest was very rust free, including mint front guards. Lots of good bits on it too, like tumble weed burning Narva H3 headlight conversion, Pedders re-valved front shockers with lowered coils, R17 sway bars and radiator, Dunlop mags etc. :approve:

Lots of fond memories with that car. :headbang:

Probably taken off the road because it's illegal, the accelerator pedal rubber is missing.
I've always liked the later Virages with the quad headlights and the Dunlop mags are the duck's guts.

The ute is/was owned by Denis Caplet from French Car Care. It has been built using mechanical R17G bits. So it goes pretty well being lighter than a normal car.

The ute is/was owned by Denis Caplet from French Car Care. It has been built using mechanical R17G bits. So it goes pretty well being lighter than a normal car.

Yes that would have to be Denis' car, unlikely to be two yellow R12 Utes in Queensland.
It's a wagon that was converted to a ute, and done pretty well too.
Don't know how it would handle with extra power up front and very little weight at the back.

googled me into this fantastic shot of a late model 12

img-1751125672.jpg

Hats to the photographer! standing on the outside of a corner like that with ye' old things running toward them.

How cool are those phat rear arches. I have seen a couple now set similarly, I suppose there was a panel one could buy back in the day? Actually more likely it was just the thing to do to fit the wheel I suppose. Anyway, awesome.

big-45393023b8.jpg

cb5e0ef751319bd87d2a8486f62b9202--renault--renault-sport.jpg

I bet the photographer had sneakers on (Dunlops) for a quick get away.
In France you can buy the flares for the 17, so I suppose there would be flares (wings) for the 12's to make them fly....