Christian's R10S

I think the panel finishes off the rear of the 10 though. Might look a bit odd without it?

Ah you are going to feel great when it gets some colour on it :)

Tiny amount of progress. I'm now happy with the gaps where the rear guards meet the C pillars, small and nice and even.

In mounting the drivers side guard and sanding down the filler I've discovered another dent, obvious in the photo as I've sanded the panel to make it show up. This body is going to end up with about 10kg of filler on by the time I'm finished. They would be way to hard to try and pop out as they are pretty shallow.

Moving onto the front guard I've decided to shave off the bumper mounts. In hindsight maybe I should have left them there, turned into a bit of a nightmare in terms of oil caning. The panel may not have been straight to start with, it's still not great but even the unmodified side oil cans a little. Needs a little more work to stiffen it up, the bumper mount would have added stiffness, although the oil caning is higher up the panel. I'd say the culprit is to much heat during welding. The vertical weld is a slit I cut to attempt to reduce the issue.

If fibreglass panels were available for 10's then I'd just buy some.

On the good side the rear panel is ready for glazing filler.

1536476633686.jpg1536476656998.jpg1536476710914.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fibreglass panels aren’t always the bolt on and paint option they claim to be.
I’m not aware of any suppliers but can’t say I’ve looked. My R8 ones came from mcracingsa.com from memory. I can’t see any mention of R10’s however.

There is possibly a reason this car will never be finished, besides the lack of time and far from straight metal work.

If you're not happy with it, cut it off and make a new one. Those end panels weren't symmetrical anyway, it bugged me.

The question is, do I just make the end bits, or the whole lower panel as one piece? I could do it in fibreglass, but that's a lot of work, make a positive, probably out of wood and foam, make negative mould, make actually panel.

1538887502483.jpg

Christian,
These cars were never symetrical from the factory, so what are you wanting to do with it. It is a "hotrod R10" not ever an original car. Are you just going to put it on shows and park it in the garage ???

Ray

The lack of symmetry bugs me, as do some of the panel gaps but they are much harder to fix.

I do intend on driving this car, how much will yet to be seen. The amount of work that's gone into it I'd be silly not to show it as well. The only symmetrical R10 in existence.

I like a challenge, making a new panel from scratch will definitely be one. I lack a few tools to do it in metal, like an english wheel although I could probably do it without one. Fibreglass may be easier.

I could just make new end panels from steel.

Want a perfect R10, then come to Perth, very symetrical, perfect body, but years of work.

Marks Imaculate R10.jpg

But it comes out very seldom. And it get parked far from other cars.

Ray

I have an r10s front panel on a car that I think is pretty straight if you want to drill out the spot welds....

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Picked up three guards, all better then the ones I have, pity the one I really needed wasn't among them.

The left rear had the bottom dented in, looks like it had just been bogged, would have been quite thick. Anyway knocked that out.

Back to the issue with the front right. I now have a good left to get the correct profile from. It's not close enough, so, when in doubt, cut it out and do it again.

1539554852187.jpg1539554860597.jpg1539554866808.jpg1539554996773.jpg

You are good with the hammers C.less

Christian, how's it all going? :)
Very slowly, lack of time. Still working on the front guard, when I welded the patch in it flattened out so there has been quite a bit of hammering involved in getting it back to the correct shape. Not quite there yet.

In other news I have a cam angle sensor I think I can make work on the K4M, it's from a 4G63 from an Evo. Will need to make a spacer and a drive dog, shouldn't be too difficult.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Don’t know if I’ve said this - but excellent job, it’s going to be amazing!! Keep at it son!

I've started a foam plug to make a mould for the lower front panel. I've pretty much finished shaping the foam. Next a coat of PVA then some body filler. The PVA will stop the filler attacking the foam as the hardener will dissolve the foam as it is polystyrene.

Once I'm happy with the shape I'll make a mould then a panel from fibreglass.

At this point I could make an entire front panel as one part...
5b1b54b9ce727da5744c9479c84dd526.jpg

Fantastic!

So much time spent doing stuff like that. That mould will be for it's self 100 times over once it's done.

Fantastic!

So much time spent doing stuff like that. That mould will be for it's self 100 times over once it's done.

There has been progress.

After 12 months of no work on the car due to house renovations I finally got back to work.

Since I've had a while to think about this I decided I wasn't happy with the lower front panel I was making, problem was the lower edge wasn't straight and putting too much filler on an edge isn't going to end well. Soooo, I decided to replace it. But where to stop.

Had to make a sheet metal folder, made it on two pieces as the folder was only 650 wide. A shrinker was used to get the curves in the correct places. Liberal use of cleco clamps when mocking it up.

As the two folds in the next bit up were a bit not straight I decided to make that bit as well. Had to make another tool, sharp roller for a bead roller. First proper job the lathe has got since it arrived.

With it all stitched together it was welded to the car in stages so I could ensure it was in the correct place. Doesn't need to be exactly the same as original as I'm making the lower panel as well.

A small amount of adjustment with a hammer and dolly got it pretty symmetrical. Not quite there yet but close. I also need to tidy up some welds. I has been welded with silicon bronze wire in a mig, my new favourite. Took a while to get the settings right, thus the need to tidy some of it.

There is a picture showing the point of no return.
f5954fadad5e01d6536eae858e4a6d4c.jpg
02ef245f40d7482e1df89326151e831f.jpg
af768ce6161e4bc8281564e114f38ef9.jpg
163dc900e164ae9cfb0f2121b69ac31b.jpg