Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

More work this afternoon. Sun was nice today so outside for painting. Bolts & arms primed and painted black epoxy one side. Sway bar cleaned and treated with R converter. Might paint this the orange. Cleaned the fuel lines and treated. Removed the rear bumper, lights and bits n bobs. Started preparing the boot and rear end for painting.

Bolts.jpg
Arms.jpg
Bar.jpg
Boot.jpg
Tank area.jpg
Rear.jpg

I can take a photo tomorrow or confirm it is right.
Thanks Sunny. Appreciate it. Maybe a few from different angles. It's the positions of the back plate with it's lever plate and spring I'm interested in. Rest is straight forward.
I would have thought the valve needs to open normally (piston extended out). But when under load in the boot, it is depressed by these levers and adds extra braking power???
Brake valve.jpg

John, here is a PDF of the rear limiter valve from my M.R. 156 factory manual

Attachments

• Renault R17 Rear Limiting Valve.pdf
    514 KB · Views: 197
Wow. Thanks Col. From that, I shouldn't get it wrong.
BTW, Renault older manuals do have neat drawings. And I bet done by hand too.

Reactions: COL
I took photos but having trouble getting them on to my computer. So I now have a video I will have to send it by sms message to your phone. PM me your mobile number and I will send it if you still need it.

Wow. Thanks Col. From that, I shouldn't get it wrong.
BTW, Renault older manuals do have neat drawings. And I bet done by hand too.
They are superb engineering drawings. Renault must have had a huge drawing office I reckon.

Yeah, I assumed as much. I used pen and ink in high school drafting classes and later at Uni. Didn't manage to get to that standard, but my mother who was a professional drafter did.

Yeah, I assumed as much. I used pen and ink in high school drafting classes and later at Uni. Didn't manage to get to that standard, but my mother who was a professional drafter did.
It's the older cutaway drawings that really do it for me - I have two of the Autocar original artworks of the R16 from 1965 - pen and fine brushwork and just awesome in detail, quite apart from getting the proportions right and the cutaway aspects right. Remarkable work.

I took photos but having trouble getting them on to my computer. So I now have a video I will have to send it by sms message to your phone. PM me your mobile number and I will send it if you still need it.
Thanks anyway Sunny.:cheers: the pdf Col attached sorted it out. All done now and half of my new paint off in the process. I had that flat bar around the wrong way.
Brakes line sanded, treated and painted
Drums sand and treated
Brake valve (2).jpg

Brake lines.jpg
Drums.jpg

A bit more painting today as it was warm enough. Yesterday, I did find a couple of the spot welds at the boot rubber seam had surface rust, so I used my wire wheel to rip into it in forward and reveerse. Then treat those spots with converter - sorted.

Drums in black.jpg
Rear end primer.jpg

A bit more painting today as it was warm enough. Yesterday, I did find a couple of the spot welds at the boot rubber seam had surface rust, so I used my wire wheel to rip into it in forward and reveerse. Then treat those spots with converter - sorted.

View attachment 123571View attachment 123573
There's a quirk! Could only see the images if I clicked "reply".....

Nice work.