69 404 restoration

Sounds like a fiddly job but they are very obvious sitting in the car.

Sounds like a fiddly job but they are very obvious sitting in the car.
Unfortunately not Peter. Cannot install until the door cards are fitted, which cannot happen until the final door alignments etc is completed.

Back at it again. Doing lots of little things, which are time consuming.

Things are heading in the right direction and it shouldn't be long now. Fingers crossed.

Reproduced new kick panel cards. By sheer luck, I managed to score a sheet of course-textured cardboard similar to the original material.

20210428_180425.jpg

Used the old worn, torn and ugly ones as templates. To ensure the press-stud holes were in the right position, white silicone was smeared around the holes on the chassis panels, when the practice panels were pressed into place, the silicone left tell-tale marks.

20210425_120905.jpg
20210425_124108.jpg

All the seat belts, including grandchildren safety seat anchor straps have been installed.

20210429_142452.jpg

The clips/lugs that hold carpets and rubber mats were installed. Lining up the existing holes into the new carpets was a little tricky. Same method of locating the kick panel holes was used.

New felt interior window licks attached.

20210429_192316.jpg

Best of the three rear windscreens was cleaned in readiness for installation over the weekend.

20210429_155856.jpg

Last edited:
Both windscreens went in tonight.

20210430_174054.jpg
20210430_204609.jpg

Dan used this clever trick to load the fitment cord into the recess of the screen rubbers. It is a trimmed silicone tube nozzle. He fed the cord through the nozzle, then inserted it into the recess and slid it around, drawing the cord in at the same time. Very clever.

A great find of that kick panel card. Probably not the easiest stuff to come by.

It's shaping up to be bit of a race to the finish with yours and Mike's restos. Who will win?

Hi Mike,

I do have two sets, just need to dig out the the best of the two and polish it. Will use the same method to insert them. There are instructions on how to do it in the factory repair manual. Many years ago, I gave up after spending hours trying to insert a set. Thought back then, it was just a case of sliding it into the slot. Silly me!

The front screen needs a little adjustment still. Need to be slide it over 2-3 mm. Sounds easy! Will do it when the car is out in the sun and the rubber has soften a bit. Getting the front screen rubber on was a battle. Thick, cold and stiff an then the three different angles of the screen on bottom corners. Finally got there with three sets of hands and some cursing and swearing.

Cheers,

Dan

On the 404C, the stainless steel trims - which are HUGE - must be inserted in the rubber before the seal is installed. If not, you'll never get them in because they're held in with a long rib that goes in to a slot perpendicular to the glass. The Sedan is easier, I suspect, especially if the trims are stainless steel, because IIRC they slide into a slot that's parallel to the glass. Same with the rear glass, which unlike the Sedan, does have SS trim on it.

My former 1963 Sedan had aluminium trims and they were ridiculously weak and looked like hell.

My windshield could use a small adjustment too, probably 2 or 3 mm! Ha!

Last edited:
The front screen trims are aluminium and they are very flimsy. Knowing how to do them properly now, hopefully they wont bend.

trim  fit.PNG

As for the rear screen, I don't recall any Australian model having trims. I'll stand corrected. Parts manual doesn't list them(?)
Depending on time, I may give them a crack tomorrow.

Dano said:
Mike,

Are your hand-brake cables really tight/taut. I've used new cables throughout and there is very limited cable movement. All cables are wound back as far as possible and the brake shoes have been adjusted to the slackest setting.

Just seems strange.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dan
hi Dano, if I recall the handbrake outer cable lower mount clamp is a variable to cable travel as it can be loosened and outer cable steel pipe can be moved forward or back to be another point of cable adjustment.so depending where clamp is positioned on outer tube will effect positioning of adjustments at cables..... ..jim

Recently via Mike Tippet's thread, I asked him if his handbrake cables were overly tight as mine appeared to be.

Thanks to Cacia4x4 who responded, my problem has been solved. That is what I really like about AussieFrogs, the willingness to help others.

Cheers,

Dan

Today the interior sun visors and rear view mirror were installed.

20210503_153121.jpg

The right side one was a NOS item. The left side was an original. Lee Brothers, colour matched the NOS (Right side) one and gave both a couple of coats of vinyl paint. The swivel arms were re-chromed.

20210425_110815.jpg

A new courtesy mirror has been installed. White silicone was used as the glue. It is almost identical in colour.

20210503_153151.jpg

This was the third attempt, all split on the inner edge when trying to remove the mirrors. Don't know what glue was used, but it wasn't letting go. Over the years, I guess the welded seams have hardened and became brittle.

Next up, front windscreen aluminium trim clean and install.

Last edited:
As always, great attention to detail, Dano. Sunvisors seem to really degrade over the years.

The front screen trims are aluminium and they are very flimsy. Knowing how to do them properly now, hopefully they wont bend.

View attachment 132718

As for the rear screen, I don't recall any Australian model having trims. I'll stand corrected. Parts manual doesn't list them(?)
Depending on time, I may give them a crack tomorrow.
No rear trims.