69 404 restoration

I got new visors from Der Franzose

They are for LHD so I can check my makeup in the mirror while driving along. Very handy feature

Andrew
Not for me. That would be like looking at a bad horror movie!

With the help of Stew, we got the motor running sweetly today. First time to have it running with all the ancillary bits and pieces attached.

A couple of the tappets have a slight rattle, but they will be reset at 600 miles (1000 KLM), The emissions out of the exhaust are well within spec's. Having found a genuine NOS Solex carburettor some time back, really made things a lot easier. The tuning gauges indicate that the distributor is running true on its shaft. There is no fluctuations in the dwell readings etc.

No exhaust flutters, so happy days.

Selecting 4th gear is a little notchy, I'll climb underneath and have a look at and adjust the linkages as required. No problems with any of the others.

In the process of dismantling the instrument panel. The chosen and best looking temperature gauge, decided it didn't want to play anymore and the needle disappears up into the cluster somewhere. It pops into view every so often. I think I have a spare? But know where to go and get one, if not.

Mark II, for the rear seat has been fabricated and the loose fit/instalment looks good. Will take it out tomorrow and fit the centre arm rest and pull the seat belt buckles up and out of the away for final fitting. A job that requires 3 sets of hands as at least one buckle or strap always manages to slip back under the seat.

Full day of little stuff tomorrow.

Good day in the shed.

The following were installed today.
Back seat and seat belts.

20210620_144142.jpg

Front and rear bumper bars.

20210620_195445.jpg
20210620_195455.jpg
20210620_195534.jpg
(Grille surround still needs final fitment)

Centre pillar trim between doors.

20210620_195510.jpg

Trim under leading edge of the bonnet.

Capture.PNG

Collected a replacement temperature gauge.

gauge.jpg

If all things go to plan, Dan should be over tomorrow (Monday) to realign the doors and start the buffing process.

20210620_195625.jpg

Fingers crossed.

Great work Dan

Now the big question.....will it be ready for July 4?
It is going to be very close.
Will be burning some midnight oil over the next two weeks.

Final panel adjustments, paint touch ups and a polish today. It's as good as its going to get. Keith was far from straight etc. when it all started.
Very happy with what Dan has done to help me get it to this stage. Now he can go back to working on his '61 Ford 2 door wagon.

grill.jpg
Finally out of the box.

It's now all up to me to make it to next Sunday.

Dano

Last edited:
The door cards and sundry items have been installed.

20210630_133425.jpg
20210630_171136.jpg
Back door

20210630_174229.jpg
Front door

Had an “oh bugger” moment last night. When testing the wipers after fitting the arms, they run in opposite directions with one pushing down onto the air vent under the windscreen. Luckily, my hand was on the ignition key and was able to stop the motor before any damage was done to the paintwork etc.

The triangular drive plate on the left hand side of the mechanism that controls the system was installed back to front. Rookie error.

20210630_081409.jpg
How it should be.

20210629_221149.jpg
Inserted incorrectly

Over the years, the cardboard gloveboxes become quite soft and fragile. The chosen one had a thin fibreglass covering placed on the underside to re-enforce it. I had done this a few years ago to another, but the coating was too thick and it deformed the box, which made it impossible to install. Prior to glassing the box, it was taken to the local Bunnings and staff in the paint section scanned an unworn section and mixed up a paint that was close to the original cardboard. They scanned a small section that was not faded or weather damaged. The cracks you see in the photo, happened when installing. Not sure how long it will last.

20210630_174245.jpg

With a little tweaking of the vinyl, the front seats will go in tomorrow. With that done, the car should be ready for the Road Worthy Certificate check. A wheel alignment has been booked for Friday after RWC check. All things going well and Covid-19 restrictions being lifted, the car should be registered next Monday. Then the road tests and any rectifications will begin. This will be followed by a full detail.

Attachments

• 20210630_171154.jpg
    20210630_171154.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 133
Due to the inclement weather on Friday, the RWC check was cancelled. Did not want to take the car out on wet slippery roads for its maiden run. COVID lockdown didn’t help either.

Had the Grand Display gone ahead today, Keith would have been a no show.

The phone microphone amplifies the engine sound, it actually isn't that noisy.

20210704_124428.jpg

20210704_124532.jpg

Oh well, will rebook the inspection for this week.

From your photos, the 404 car looks fantastic, Dano. It's been a long haul but well worth the effort and there is bound to be many envious people around when they see the results of your hard work in the flesh.

A Road Worthy Certificate has been obtained and the car registered. Took the car for its maiden journey today to get a wheel alignment done. With breath held tight, I ventured out onto the street. Quick brake check, which came up trumps. Gears changed smoothly and no unexpected clunking etc. The back left brake drags a little.

Still need to affix the 404 bonnet badge and the alloy door/sill kick boards. A full detail is still required..

It's amazing how your hearing improves when you take the restoration project out for its first run.

Thanks to everyone who has help me with advice or simple encouragement over the last 9 and a bit years. It is always dangerous to thank individuals, but there are a couple of people who need to be mentioned. So here goes
LOK O'Kane (Number one son)
Marty 404
Scott (Demannu)
Stew Battersby
Robmac
Bruce Llewellyn
Mike Tippet
Graham Wallis
Graham (59 Floride)
Colin H
Peter C

The next few weeks will be spent tweaking and adjusting things as they pop up. Already the fuel pump needs replacing. The original one although overhauled is leaking oil out of the pivot shaft.

Cheers

Dano

Last edited:
Congratulations Dan. You should be rightly very proud of your work, it is a masterpiece. Can't wait to see it in person!

Wow, that is a 404. Were you able to install some genuine 404 aroma? No other car has it, so unique.

A few more little details added. I had them, but couldn't remember where. Of course you keep the decals in the back cover of the owners handbook.

20210707_154051.jpg
20210707_154055.jpg

My friend Kym, came over with his 404 today. It was a godsend meeting Kym at a Grand Display, 8 years ago. Throughout the process, if I wasn't sure about something, Kym was always willing to bring his car over for a visual check etc...

20210707_132552.jpg
20210707_132631.jpg

20210707_132823.jpg

The cars are actually brother and sister. They are both '69 models and they came out of Canberra, their body numbers are only 2 apart. His is the second owner of his car. Besides some mechanical repairs, it is in its original untouched state. Poor old Keith, obviously was from the wrong side of the family. He had, had a hard life.

Last edited: