69 404 restoration

Russel,

You are right there, i.e. assembly issues. The factory did love seam sealer though. It covered some very ugly joints, especially around the front windscreen and air-vent panels. The panels had some form of red undercoat/oxide protection from new. It (paint/oxide) has been between all the panels and joints, that were either removed or repaired. However, age and a hard life has not helped the old boy.

To help prevent any further break outs, every part of the car has been treated with a product call Rust Masters. My God, you should have seen the mess on the shed floor. The makers claimed that it would leach out everywhere and it did. At least it proved the welded seam drain holes were clear. Where I couldn't gain access, inspection holes were drilled and they were used as entry points. The car was rolled around a number of times on the rotisserie to ensure the coating reached every nook and cranny. And to be extra sure, cavity wax will be applied after everything is back in place.

The body does look a lot better now, compared to some of the horror photos posted earlier in the thread.

Cheers,

Dano

Renault were aware of the problems. The assembly line and electrophoresis improved things (eventually). There was a Peugeot engineer from Paris but he wasn't often on the floor. I thought the last few 404's were a bit rough.

More progress on the weekend.

All the panels that required filler/undercoat have now been done. Some have been blocked back already, but time beat us late on Sunday.

Blocked panels

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
(both left and right pillars done)

attachment.php

To be blocked back and excess oxide etc removed

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Another change to the schedule. The plan now, is to paint engine bay in the shed and then fit the wiring loom, pedal box, motor etc, basically everything within the engine. While I'm doing that, it will give Dan a chance to clear the pre-Christmas rush/backlog at his shop. This will give us a clear run in the spray booth.

I also have to remove the red oxide which was a little heavy applied around the tops of the inner guards and under the windscreen. It is not difficult, just a pain.

Attachments

• bonnet.png
    bonnet.png
    836.7 KB · Views: 701
  • roof.png
    roof.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 723
  • boot.png
    boot.png
    781.7 KB · Views: 718
  • Left rear pillar.jpg
    Left rear pillar.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Left rear pillar.png
    Left rear pillar.png
    768.5 KB · Views: 705
  • Radiator support.png
    Radiator support.png
    922.6 KB · Views: 688
  • front left screen.png
    front left screen.png
    731.5 KB · Views: 715
  • right front door and screen panel.png
    right front door and screen panel.png
    561.7 KB · Views: 712
  • left side.png
    left side.png
    921 KB · Views: 693
Really nice job on the bonnet rust Dan, it looks as though there was quite of bit of work involved.

You've probably mentioned this before but what colour is the car to be? Alpine White?

Really nice job on the bonnet rust Dan, it looks as though there was quite of bit of work involved.

You've probably mentioned this before but what colour is the car to be? Alpine White?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the compliments on the bonnet. As I have said before, I am lucky to have my daughter's partner working with me. I try and he fixes.

As for the colour, yeah Alpine White of course.

The swatch below was sent to me ages ago, by a fellow Frogger when I was asking about colours.

attachment.php

It is almost a perfect match to my friend's (Kim) car. We used the inside of Kim's boot lid to scan the colour. It is a funny colour, in direct sunshine it is bright white, but in shadows or in the garage it is a creamy colour.

115950-69-404-restoration-brother-sister.jpg

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• swatch.png
    swatch.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 633
Washers or not

I need some advice please.

Should the big end bearing caps in a 404 engine have washers between the nuts and caps?

The reason I ask, is the two engines that I dismantled didn’t have washers. The factory manual doesn’t mention them, but the spare parts catalogue does.

I just want to check, prior to putting the sump back on.

I’m just doubting my knowledge/judgement.

Cheers

Dano

Finally sorted the woes with the Hydrovac brake booster.

As mentioned in an earlier entry, there was an issue with the small brass piston under the air intake diaphragm. Unfortunately, the system would hold pressure. It was stripped down and re-assembled to ensure everything thing inside was correct. All looked OK, but it still would not hold pressure.

Knowing when to admit defeated, advice was sort from Darren at Stop Masters. He had the equipment to be able test the system dry and with fluid in it.

The good news is that it is now working perfectly. The problem was caused by me, using a series of punches to remove and replace the diaphragm housing. During this process, the lugs/tags were bent, which meant that there was not a perfect seal between the two housings, and diaphragm, which caused the pressure leak.

To solve the problem, the outer housing (one with the locking tabs) was removed and the tags were straightened and the mating surface machined smooth. This solved the problem and now the Hydrovac works as it should.

A classic case of, a little knowledge is dangerous.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• b1.png
    b1.png
    933.5 KB · Views: 577
  • b3.png
    b3.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 524
Yes, the Hydrovac rebuild manual says to unscrew it with a huge leather belt! I destroyed the original (crappy) one the same way. But I have a NOS one to rebuild now.

Mike,

I made one of those strap things, as per the manual and it just wouldn't budge it. Not having a chain vise big enough, brut force was employed. Ah well, you learn from your mistakes.

Cheers

Dan

Took Keith to the panel shop today.

https://youtu.be/hgkx64UeKPI

attachment.php

The day was spent blocking panels and doing minor touch up repairs. It is interesting to see what you see/missed in a different (Panel shop) light setting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After today’s efforts, all the panels are ready for hanging in the spray booth first up tomorrow. While they are drying etc., the body will be prepped for painting. All things being fair and equal, it should be paint late in the afternoon.

The inside of the boot lid was painted first, as a final colour check.

attachment.php

Sorry about the quality of the photos, forgot to change the settings.

Attachments

• shop 4.png
    shop 4.png
    902.4 KB · Views: 414
  • shop 3.png
    shop 3.png
    887.3 KB · Views: 441
  • shop 5.png
    shop 5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 402
  • shop 2.png
    shop 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 450
  • shop 1.png
    shop 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 459
Last edited:
You've reached a real mile stone, Dano. Congratulations!

It has been a successful couple of days.

Wednesday

First part of the morning was spent painting the doors, bonnet guards and boot lid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://youtu.be/VeyhJYwMrig

This was followed by a few hours of blocking, rubbing and a few final touch ups prior to paint.

https://youtu.be/OcOPyVmiLxE

About mid-afternoon, the shell was rolled into the booth and the final prep was done prior to painting. All the openings were sealed with brown paper. Last bits of seam sealer were applied and smoothed for painting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://youtu.be/B7aHEdmqLGc

Finally the painting of the shell.

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://youtu.be/-m7h0vHcByo

Today.
Keith was returned back home this morning. Time beat us in the paint booth, so a few small jobs still need to be done at home. Headlight rings, bonnet hinges things like that. All the major panels etc. are painted.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It has been a long time coming.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now the reassembly process can start in earnest. Basically, it is just a case of bolting it all together. If only it is that easy.

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• tu1.png
    tu1.png
    812.8 KB · Views: 779
  • tu2.png
    tu2.png
    809.5 KB · Views: 753
  • pp1.png
    pp1.png
    967.7 KB · Views: 804
  • pp2.png
    pp2.png
    650.6 KB · Views: 772
  • pp3.png
    pp3.png
    850.6 KB · Views: 733
  • p1.png
    p1.png
    854.3 KB · Views: 747
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    894 KB · Views: 709
  • day3 1.png
    day3 1.png
    1 MB · Views: 723
  • day3 3.png
    day3 3.png
    944.6 KB · Views: 759
  • day3 2.png
    day3 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 747
  • day3 4.jpg
    day3 4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 180
  • rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 196
  • rust2.png
    rust2.png
    600.6 KB · Views: 717
  • day3 4 5.png
    day3 4 5.png
    531.8 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
C'est magnifique! You wouldn't believe its the same car.