Tool Talk

tried it out the other day on Tassy Oak shelf boards. Great job, easier than with a corded saw, probably lighter, it has a virgin blade of course but I didn't reckon that it would be so good. :headbanger"

Bob

Hi Bob, you have just listed some of the reasons why battery operated is becoming so popular. Easier, safer, sometimes lighter, certainly more convenient than corded electric, or air operated. It has just needed a while for the batteries to become powerful enough at a reasonable price. I see your Bosch looks like a skin only, or did it include charger and battery? If you had the Bosch 18v battery/batteries and charger already, it would be a no-brainer.
I have a little 18v Ryobi 115mm circular saw/tile cutter/brick cutter, with a diamond blade, relatively inexpensive, has a water reservoir for cutting masonry as designed. It has done a fantastic job, the only thing is it would go through the batteries pretty quickly. But that may have been when I only had the 1.2ah batteries, and since then I've got a 2.5 and a 5.0 ah, big difference when you are doing a reasonably big job.
I'm currently buying a little Bosch 12v cordless 76mm (3") angle grinder, it's the lightest most nimble looking angle grinder I have seen. For smaller jobs, like the sim racing seat I have been working on, just for the convenience. Problem, a bit expensive, and I have bought a battery & charger starter kit on special, and will purchase the grinder in a month or two to spread the cost (hoping I might see it on special). Milwaukee do a similar one, the Bosch just feels better. Will be interesting, because I have found with my larger Ryobi 115mm angle grinder that they are the quickest battery consumer tool I have used.
Hope the Bosch serves you well.

… be interesting, because I have found with my larger Ryobi 115mm angle grinder that they are the quickest battery consumer tool I have used.
if you want to chew through power, try the yellow brand flex volt tools.
I have the cheapest leaf blower in their expensive range, and on a decent size garden can use most of one 5 amp/ hour battery.

for the record, my grinder(s) are all 240 v and unless the day comes where I need to go out and do some work on the boat, have no plans for that to change.

yes Chris, batteries to suit are here in force.... :)
I have found the Bosch 18v battery angle grinders to be a tad gutless, bloody convenient, but lacking. On the other hand, the masonry drill is fabulous....
came via ebay at less than $200 - German import I think it was.
Bob

These days you would just buy whatever skin you want and buy the "converter" so you can use your existing batteries!

I cut up that downed branch with the $10 mcculloch chainsaw yesterday. That thing is brilliant, I had to keep feathering the throttle on the smaller stuff as it would just peak rev. I'm guessing this is what the promac 650 should be like, but its down on compression compared to un-used saw. Oh, the chains I have are like butter compared the the mcculloch chain, it hasn't dulled in the slightest. Maybe I just need ot buy better quality chains :rolleyes:

yes Chris, batteries to suit are here in force.... :)
I have found the Bosch 18v battery angle grinders to be a tad gutless, bloody convenient, but lacking. On the other hand, the masonry drill is fabulous....
came via ebay at less than $200 - German import I think it was.
Bob
The Bosch big impact driver is a beauty too - will drive long screws deep into old railway sleepers etc

For battery reasons I have standardised on Bosch and haven‘t been let down, although for heavy grinding I find the corded version of angle grinder better

Does anybody know of a bosch /Milwaukee battery converter - Milwaukee have battery driven sprayers which look attractive ( fighting rearguard action against weeds etc., complicated by desire to avoid Glyphosate, so need for repeated spraying using the various Greenie alternatives)

ANdrew

Hi Bob, you have just listed some of the reasons why battery operated is becoming so popular. Easier, safer, sometimes lighter, certainly more convenient than corded electric, or air operated. It has just needed a while for the batteries to become powerful enough at a reasonable price. I see your Bosch looks like a skin only, or did it include charger and battery? If you had the Bosch 18v battery/batteries and charger already, it would be a no-brainer.
I have a little 18v Ryobi 115mm circular saw/tile cutter/brick cutter, with a diamond blade, relatively inexpensive, has a water reservoir for cutting masonry as designed. It has done a fantastic job, the only thing is it would go through the batteries pretty quickly. But that may have been when I only had the 1.2ah batteries, and since then I've got a 2.5 and a 5.0 ah, big difference when you are doing a reasonably big job.
I'm currently buying a little Bosch 12v cordless 76mm (3") angle grinder, it's the lightest most nimble looking angle grinder I have seen. For smaller jobs, like the sim racing seat I have been working on, just for the convenience. Problem, a bit expensive, and I have bought a battery & charger starter kit on special, and will purchase the grinder in a month or two to spread the cost (hoping I might see it on special). Milwaukee do a similar one, the Bosch just feels better. Will be interesting, because I have found with my larger Ryobi 115mm angle grinder that they are the quickest battery consumer tool I have used.
Hope the Bosch serves you well.
Correct about the Ryobi angle grinder battery life!

These days you would just buy whatever skin you want and buy the "converter" so you can use your existing batteries!

I cut up that downed branch with the $10 mcculloch chainsaw yesterday. That thing is brilliant, I had to keep feathering the throttle on the smaller stuff as it would just peak rev. I'm guessing this is what the promac 650 should be like, but its down on compression compared to un-used saw. Oh, the chains I have are like butter compared the the mcculloch chain, it hasn't dulled in the slightest. Maybe I just need ot buy better quality chains :rolleyes:
Glad you are getting such a good run with that Mcculloch, sounds just like how mine performed over the years. Have you got the replacement mcculloch chain part # that fits?. Over the years I graduated to whatever the big Green Shed had as a replacement chain and some of those don't last very long, though they are satisfactory, just need sharpening frequently.

That is where the Aldi sharpener with its canted grinding wheel comes in handy to quickly dress up the teeth.

Ken

Glad you are getting such a good run with that Mcculloch, sounds just like how mine performed over the years. Have you got the replacement mcculloch chain part # that fits?. Over the years I graduated to whatever the big Green Shed had as a replacement chain and some of those don't last very long, though they are satisfactory, just need sharpening frequently.

That is where the Aldi sharpener with its canted grinding wheel comes in handy to quickly dress up the teeth.

Ken

If its the same pitch/etc as the other mccollochs I'll probably grab a roll of chain and tool to join them from jono and johno (its located in ballarat).

you could just run several chains and swap them as they dull. Buying just one really good quality chain would cost far more than all of my saws are worth probably :clown:

Reactions: bob
If they are much different in size the chain pitches will likely be different. I have 5 Stihls, with 4 different pitches.

Roger

If they are much different in size the chain pitches will likely be different. I have 5 Stihls, with 4 different pitches.

Roger
Hi Roger,
Have you tried a Stihl Rapid Duro chain? 4x or 5x the price of an Oregon but it has tungsten carbide chisels.
Upside is 4+ times the use before resharpening compared to regular chains.
Downside is it requires professional sharpening. (possibly 4x the cost of steel)

I have 10+ large poplars to clean up after the Feb storm and thought it might be worth the investment.
With an expensive chain such as Duro I want to put a new drive sprocket on so that the chain and sprocket teeth are working together.
Wear on the sprocket teeth will soon cause stretching of the chain. The new chain must also load up on one tooth at a time if the sprocket is worn, which is also detrimental to chain and sprocket life.

The Stihl sites that I have seen do not have this essential item listed with their chains. Site searches give nothing.
Do Stihl like the new chains to be replaced on a regular basis?
Perhaps a new sprocket might cause the new chain to last too long for steady sales.

Chains do vary a lot in their dimensions.
A saw model number makes it fairly easy to search for what is required and cross reference to other brands.

5 saws and 4 different chains? They must cover a few decades of Stihl saws.
I have a 029 with a 20" bar. About 30 years old now but is is a good general purpose saw for me.

Bryan

Hi Roger,
Have you tried a Stihl Rapid Duro chain? 4x or 5x the price of an Oregon but it has tungsten carbide chisels.
Upside is 4+ times the use before resharpening compared to regular chains.
Downside is it requires professional sharpening. (possibly 4x the cost of steel)

I have 10+ large poplars to clean up after the Feb storm and thought it might be worth the investment.
With an expensive chain such as Duro I want to put a new drive sprocket on so that the chain and sprocket teeth are working together.
Wear on the sprocket teeth will soon cause stretching of the chain. The new chain must also load up on one tooth at a time if the sprocket is worn, which is also detrimental to chain and sprocket life.

The Stihl sites that I have seen do not have this essential item listed with their chains. Site searches give nothing.
Do Stihl like the new chains to be replaced on a regular basis?
Perhaps a new sprocket might cause the new chain to last too long for steady sales.

Chains do vary a lot in their dimensions.
A saw model number makes it fairly easy to search for what is required and cross reference to other brands.

5 saws and 4 different chains? They must cover a few decades of Stihl saws.
I have a 029 with a 20" bar. About 30 years old now but is is a good general purpose saw for me.

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Yes, I have a duro chain on one of my saws. I was changing the chain and sprocket on the 250 and decided to try the duro chain so I had a saw for rough timber. I have had it on there for a few years and never had to sharpen it. I run round rather than square chain generally because it is more forgiving.

Different size saws as much as different decades. 076, 08s and 034 are all 1980s, 190 and 250 are 2000s. The 076 and 08s have 0.404" pitch, the 034 has 3/8", the 250 has 0.325" and the 190 has 1/4". 4 different file sizes! I find the 0.325" chain fits the 3/8" file best when new and the 0.325 file once it has worn a bit. The 250 has the easy start feature, I bought it when my ageing father could no longer start the 034. It is quite a bit lighter than the 034 and therefore more manoeuvrable, but the 034 is a harder worker.

Roger

I've never tried this, but it sounds effective

Home brew.jpg

Many years ago I was in France, stranded of course with no tools, and a
friendly mechanic loaned me some tools and this magic fluid.
Still don't know what it was, but assumed it was a mix of Penetrene and
an acid 'cos it literally dissolved rust and stained your hands rusty red.
Took a few days to wash the stain out. Very effective on the disassembly.
Looking at list, maybe acetone, but didn't smell like it??

Reactions: COL
Just as an aside - Acetone dissolves super glue, which can be handy at times.
In the RC racing world (Remote Control models), tyres are secured with super glue to keep them on the nylon rims. But with, say, 30 tyres per car prepared for a major meeting, it has been economical to keep the rims when the tyres are worn. We had a 4 litre can with about 3 litres of Acetone, into which we placed the old rims with just the tyre beads still attached (cut off the bulk of the tyre with strong scissors). Take them out a day or two later, and the beads can be peeled off, a quick wipe of the rim groove, and ready for use again. IIRC, if you left them in for a week or two, the tyres might dissolve as well.
I also will have to try the ATF + Acetone myself next time I need to unseize something.