Tool Talk

Just purchased what is probably the highest $$$ per Kg tool that I own (with the possible exception of some special Litchfield engine/transmission tools I have had for many years :) :) ).

But it is a lovely tool, I have bought it for a specific purpose but it will get used quite a bit I hope. It is a "tiny" cordless angle grinder, Bosch GWS 12v-76. A 76mm (3") palm-sized angle grinder for work in a confined space - not as in a dangerous gas-filled chamber, just where there is lack of room for a normal 4-5" grinder.
With battery it weighs 900gms, and it feels very manageable. But with a tag of $265 I had to chew it over quite a bit, but hey, a good tool is a good tool. Also needed battery and charger, bought starter kit with both for $129. There is a similar size unit in Milwaukee, price same-ish but just didn't feel as good. The Bosch has a 6 year warranty, and is considered by them to be in the Professional range, so I hope it does the job. Not a big range of discs, but enough for my purposes.

IMG20230410153450_red.jpg
IMG20230410153650_red.jpg

Just purchased what is probably the highest $$$ per Kg tool that I own
Not my money but................

I called in to see my engineer mate last week and he asked me if I was busy.
I was, but I said no, I wouldn't be much of a mate if I said otherwise.🤷‍♂️
He had his Ingersoll Rand 6000E compressor that runs his sandblaster sitting on the workshop floor and he asked if I could fit a kit in the flow control valve.
I said "sure", I'd never done one before but it didn't look too hard.🤷‍♂️
Anyhoo he handed me the little plastic bag with the kit in it, it contained 3 small springs, 3 O-rings, 1 small flat diaphragm, 1 brass air jet, 1 tiny brass poppet valve, 1 screw for the center of the diaphragm and about 12 assorted spring washers.
He said "be careful with it there's $800 there"
Faaaark, fair dinkum the bag contained about $20 worth of bits.🤦‍♂️
Anyway I put the kit through it and the only thing wrong with it was the little diaphragm.
I had a sheet of diaphragm rubber at home the same thickness.🙄
The kit wouldn't have weighed 100 grams so, how's $8000 per kilo sound.😳

whilst on compressors... I've one that turns itself back on from time to time, yep, the red button has been pushed to turn it off in the first place. First time was of course when I was just nodding off to sleep, all tucked in, thump-thump-thump..... bugger....
Bob

whilst on compressors... I've one that turns itself back on from time to time, yep, the red button has been pushed to turn it off in the first place. First time was of course when I was just nodding off to sleep, all tucked in, thump-thump-thump..... bugger....
Bob
I always unplug my compressor when I have finished with it because it has a small air leak somewhere and will eventually start up again.

Maybe that stop switch does not always latch in and when the air leaks out the pressure switch kicks the motor back into action.

Reactions: bob
Yeah, I had the same problem with my el cheapo special deal compressor and it got worse until the stop button didn't stay down at all. Had to replace the whole gizmo but wasn't too big a deal or too expensive. Units available are a bit better quality than the chinesium stock so here's hoping. Not complaining though. The cheap chinesium switch lasted almost 20 years (of home use), which I think is a good run. Or maybe I was lucky.

The cheap chinesium switch lasted almost 20 years (of home use), which I think is a good run
I'd reckon that my switch has got to be at least 15yrs old - but there are similar here that are much older. Particularly one on the unit I made up when I was but a lad, but that was an ancient fridge compressor dating back to the 40's at least !!
Find a non-Chinese replacement ? That'll be a neat trick.... easier to to pull the plug.... :)
Bob

unit SWMBO got for HER shed has some sort of twist and pull lock on the switch to fire it up - mechanical defeat for a common problem I wonder....
Bob

do compressors have an on/off switch?? I'll have to search mine someday and see. I just use the much more accessible switch .... on the wall... where its plugged in :)

do compressors have an on/off switch?? I'll have to search mine someday and see. I just use the much more accessible switch .... on the wall... where its plugged in :)
This is the style of pressure switch that Bob has on his compressors.

Switching on/off at the wall plug only works if your compressor tank leaks....
If it didn't leak you have a higher chance of the motor stalling and you'll likely hear the wall switch buzzing as it draws maximum amps when you turn it on.

When you push the red knob down it forces the pressure switch contacts to separate and a lever then actuates the pressure switch relief valve to relieve the pressure that was trapped between the pump and check valve so the motor won't stall when you turn it back on.
This is the hiss you hear when pressure switch actuates.

Last edited:
Switching on/off at the wall plug only works if your compressor tank leaks....
If it didn't leak you have a higher chance of the motor stalling and you'll likely hear the wall switch buzzing as it draws maximum amps when you turn it on.

When you push the red knob down it forces the pressure switch contacts to separate and a lever then actuates the pressure switch relief valve to relieve the pressure that was trapped between the pump and check valve so the motor won't stall when you turn it back on.
Not sure about all compressors but on mine when the tank comes to the cut off pressure of the pressure switch, the motor is turned off and the pressure switch drains the air between the compressor and the check valve at the entry to the tank.

If you turn off the compressor before it has come up to the pressure set by the pressure switch, this operation of draining the air between the compressor and tank check valve will not happen.

You know when the draining of air happens because you will hear the air released when the compressor motor stops.

I'm not sure if this function of draining air happens when the red button equipped pressure switches occurs when the red button is pushed in. Maybe Bob can tell us one way or the other.

Compressors are designed to be started up under no load or unloaded conditions, otherwise you end up with the stalling that you mention.

Both my compressors have a dump valve that automatically releases the trapped air as soon as the motor stops. It is physically separate from the pressure switch.

Roger

Compressors are designed to be started up under no load or unloaded conditions, otherwise you end up with the stalling that you mention.
OK, interesting, never taken that much notice of what's going on.... :) The unit that starts up on it's own always has a hard time staring up from cold - but runs OK on it's cycle restart. Might be a guide there.... :unsure:
The oldie with the ex-fridge compressor doesn't have any fancy stuff in the switch, bare bones simple, but you won't stall it - only a quarter-horse motor but it's got repulsion start, rip yer bloody arms off..... (y)
Bob

OK, interesting, never taken that much notice of what's going on.... :) The unit that starts up on it's own always has a hard time staring up from cold - but runs OK on it's cycle restart. Might be a guide there.... :unsure:
The oldie with the ex-fridge compressor doesn't have any fancy stuff in the switch, bare bones simple, but you won't stall it - only a quarter-horse motor but it's got repulsion start, rip yer bloody arms off..... (y)
Bob
The fridge compressors make an ideal small compressor. I have one here that I made up about 30 years ago to pump up bike tyres etc. Its small and light enough to carry around
20230411_152602.jpg
20230411_152540.jpg