Tool Talk

that is interesting, I thought most would have a tool bag or roll of some sort. Tool boxes are awkward to store and rattle in cars. and usually have sharp edges.

The tool bag I have was really good until it feel apart.

201119-complete_bush_mechanic_tool_kit-studio-resized_25_of_31__4.jpg

So the screwdrivers, sockets and spanners all have there own velcro pockets. I've just added a multi-meter, 27mm breakers bar, packet of cable ties, a bit of wire..... and I need to add one of these 1/4" aldi sockets sets next time I see one on special (it has or the torx, alan and bits in it as well).

they squish into a bag quite well. in a tool box it would be big and bulky and slide around the boot :confused: A cosmetics bag like Ken mentions would be very close to the tool bag ?
The metal tool boxes rattle and have sharp edges, the modern plastic ones don't and are pretty compact. The plastic tool boxes also have small compartments to carry a couple of small spares. I also jamb a rag on top of the tools to stop the rattles.

There is no need to carry a full tool kit, make up a custom kit to suit the that car, such as a couple of spanners, screw driver, pliers. If its an old car points, a spare spark plug, fan belt etc. If its a modern car TDC sensor, pencil coil, spark plug, auxiliary belt etc. You will only need the bits that you can easily repair on the side of the road.

I like the soft zip bags. Plenty of choices at Bunnings and Supercheap. I have one for towbar stuff, eg, removable tongue and towball, large spanner, D-links, electrical adaptor, all in a 400mm Irwin bag at $10, collapses into the spare wheel bay in the Koleos (after I removed the huge foam thing from in there just wasting space). Another similar bag for the jack, etc.
For actual tools I'm using a Stanley hard case toolkit which fits neatly in the upturned spare wheel, but they are quite expensive.
I started using soft bags when I had the BA wagon, which had no storage pockets, just a big flat floor, and the bags don't slide around, and yes, less rattling of contents.

Boy now you guys have got me thinking I'm underprepared just carrying a range of 8 to 19mm spanners, a flat and Phillips screwdriver, an 8" shifter and a pair of pliers.🤔

I got up early this morning and set up the Berlingo a little better.👍

Are you prepared for the unexpected?

images (83).jpeg

I saved a decommissioned 14oz canvas karate gi for tool roll fabric.

Reactions: COL
Boy now you guys have got me thinking I'm underprepared just carrying a range of 8 to 19mm spanners, a flat and Phillips screwdriver, an 8" shifter and a pair of pliers.🤔

View attachment 216282
:ROFLMAO: I don't really carry that much. Those kings bags are perfect I reckon, some pliers, a pair of vicegrips, a few screwdrivers, a few spanners, a few sockets..... if that can't get you out of trouble, you'll need to call for help either way.

View attachment 216282
You didn’t tell us your Berlingo is a TARDIS. It’s so much bigger on the inside!

I had a quikc look at the $10 chainsaw last night. it fires to life instantly with a dribble of fuel into the carby .... and sounds excellent.

20230202_120238.jpg

There is plenty of fuel at the fuel line (gee's that doesn't taste great :clown: ). I'm not fully understanding how it draws the fuel through.

index.php

i'm thinking its the two flaps on this gasket here. ? its not currently pulling fuel in.

When I pulled the other side of the carby off I found the needle and seat were working fine if I blew into it. However I had to completely max out the available movement in the needle/seat assembly to lift the needle off the seat (which seams completely wrong. Does the gasket have enough flex it it to ever open the needle?

20230202_120245.jpg

20230202_120257.jpg

anyway, I bent the lever quite a bit, so if I just gently push on the diaphragm the needle lifts off the seat and allows fuel flow. We still aren't drawing fuel into the carby though.

Let me guess, I just need new gaskets and diaphragms ? I'm guessing this saw is un-used as it would never run new, straight out of the box .... or just lean out and die (because the needle and seat was waaaaayyyyy out of adjustment).

I couldn't help myself, so I just took a break and went and looked at this thing again .... I whipped the carby back off and pulled the face plate off to look at the needle and seat ..... then compared the diaphragms "blob" where it should engage the needle and seat and decided ... there is no way that is going to engage correctly. So some more bending of the needle and seat and i found suddenly I had fuel at the carby ....... :dance: :dance: :dance: ....

Er..... then noticed I had bloody petrol EVERYWHERE. and it didn't want to start. I whipped the plug and and turned the saw upside down to empty the fuel out :rolleyes:

Hmm.... Now when I blow into the fuel line I can hear air gently escaping .... but the needle and seat seems to be adjusted about right. So I whipped it back off and this time pulled the needle and seat out. It looked spotless in there ... brand new you could say. So I re-assembled and the needle and opened and closed it while the diaphragm was off .... Lovely .... gee's two stroke not only tastes like crap, its sure as hell stings both eyes when you manage to blow it straight out of the needle and seat and into your eyes ..... It all seems to work perfectly now.

So I chucked some more petrol down its throat (easy starting) ... and it was away, only it kept running. FINALLY. As soon as I let off the thottle it would immediatly die. So out with the screwdriver .... I had to spin the low speed jet out another turn at least.

Its bloody loud, but the chain and clutch and it are very quiet and smooth running. If it decides to stay a runner and doesn't drive me nuts, Its probably going to be a rippa :)

Don't worry about the smoke ..... after spraying that stuff into both my eyes and mouth now .... I reckon its about 10:1 .... I must have double mixed the fuel in that fuel drum.

I used to fly control line planes as a kid.
Years ago I took my son to Caulfield racecourse where they were doing some sort of a 'lifestyle' event. We went to see the R/C car demonstration as well as a R/C plane using a McCulloch chainsaw motor. That was impressive.

Bought some jigsaw blades this morning.
Good to see there's a market for the ones that didn't fare so well at school.😁

20230204_091035.jpg
20230204_091055.jpg

I don't think its about missing school. Nobody in the place has mastered an alien script. How's your Hindi?

Years ago this sort of thing was a mark of Chinese manufacture.

I don't think its about missing school. Nobody in the place has mastered an alien script. How's your Hindi?

Years ago this sort of thing was a mark of Chinese manufacture.
Note below the "BOSDH" they spelt Bosch correctly in the fitment list.🤷‍♂️

Pleased to report these Chinese knock-offs performed as expected.💩

Thought I might have saved trip into a bigger town

Anyway, one bonus, I'm now getting good at scrollwork with a 5" grinder.🧐

Note below the "BOSDH" they spelt Bosch correctly in the fitment list.🤷‍♂️

Pleased to report these Chinese knock-offs performed as expected.💩

Thought I might have saved trip into a bigger town

Anyway, one bonus, I'm now getting good at scrollwork with a 5" grinder.🧐
I've watched fitzees fabrication, there isn't a shape you can't cut out with a 4/5" grinder!

just for a laugh I looked up "tool bag" on facebook marketplace. Now I have one of these :clown:

its obviously completely un-used..... and was very cheap. there isn't even a bit of fluff in it anywhere.... let alone a mark on it. it'll be perfect to move around the cars as needed.

On the weekend I thought I better try those saws. I found a nice big dry bit of gum to try them on. The $10 saw kicks arse... the chain is even sharp as new. I buried it as deep as the bar would go into the wood and it cut easily. I then tried it on both sides... with the fuel tank cap towards the ground it starts leaning out, otherwise pefect!.

Now the saw that is the same as Kens, not as grunty, but plenty powerful enough .... but it bogged down and started dragging the chain almost immediately.... and damn that's hot!! Hmmm.... Ken, when you have that sucker apart to change the fuel lines.... there is a short length of fuel line from the oil tank to the oil pump. this is probably hidden in sludge. it'll be broken. infact this one fell into about 5 pieces when I touched it. It now oils ..... a lot after changing that line.

so:
--unscrew the air cleaner cover
--unscrew all the torx screws around the side of the saw (including the handle on the other side). I had to cut a torx screwdriver down to get to the one under the handle. you don't need to remove the starter string mechanism.
--remove the oil tank cap
--the entire side will lift away. just sit it above the saw so you don't have to pull the stop switch wires off.

-The fuel line runs from the petrol tank -> inlet on the carby (exhaust side is the inlet). I just cut a point on the fuel line to feed it into the tank, then grabbed it with some forceps to pull it through the filler cap. Then just snipped the end of the line level and clipped the new filter on
-squeeze the primer bulb and find the suction side. This goes over to the fuel line on the carby under the choke mechanism
-from the push side of the primer, this is the return line to the petrol tank.
-replace the oil line from the oil tank to the pump .... or you'll be back here the first time you try to use the saw :rolleyes:

G'day,

this has been in the shed for months, impulse buy on special no doubt....

tried it out the other day on Tassy Oak shelf boards. Great job, easier than with a corded saw, probably lighter, it has a virgin blade of course but I didn't reckon that it would be so good. :headbanger"

Bob