Tool Talk

It was going to be well over a $100 for a set of jaws.
BCFE279B-28B7-4F03-8EE4-A90B033D1693.jpeg

Hardwood soft jaws are cheaper and easier to replace. All the workshop vices are portable. They’re bolted onto appropriately thick ply or MDF panels that get clamped to the workbench of choice for the current job or can be removed to clear the bench.

View attachment 216192
Hardwood soft jaws are cheaper and easier to replace. All the workshop vices are portable. They’re bolted onto appropriately thick ply or MDF panels that get clamped to the workbench of choice for the current job or can be removed to clear the bench.

How do you clamp something in it .... then swing a 6 foot long breakers bar from it without it all toppling over ............. Just asking for a friend :whistle: :whistle: :unsure:

I picked up this little pruning saw for $30 on facebook marketplace a few days ago. It looks like they tried to pull the primer bulb out (as it was split) and pulled the fuel lines off with it.... And then got scared as they had to get into the carby to try and fix it. Its $13 for a kit on ebay with new fuel lines, primer and carby diaphragms. A little toy saw like this should be perfect for a little pruning. A bonus it has a near new stihl chain on it.View attachment 215443

Well I just chucked some fuel line and a primer onto it and it fired right up.... sounds really nice (other than some numpty has twisted all the carby screws at some point). I think I've got them right, but I'll need to try running it at full load and make sure high speed is fine.

I guess I sell this if the $10 chainsaw fires up and runs will when I get a carby kit in (which could be fun.... that carby seems hard to get parts for. Maybe I'll just try cleaning the carby at some point and see how it goes). the other saw is the one to keep as its pretty much un-used.

How do you clamp something in it .... then swing a 6 foot long breakers bar from it without it all toppling over ............. Just asking for a friend :whistle: :whistle: :unsure:
Can’t say I’ve tried that but for heavy stuff the vice gets clamped to my solid hardwood bench instead of the lightweight router table where usually sits...

30 years ago I gave away a very heavy old screw vise. I meant to get another, but several engine and gearbox strips later, and some carpentry, I think I can now do without. If anything needs to be tightly held I can usually manage to clamp it. The relo who got it has since died, and I suspect it went to the tip. Smaller ones have also gone to the kids.

(I know the spelling is controversial, but it is French, cf la vis, and I've always done it that way)

30 years ago I gave away a very heavy old screw vise. I meant to get another, but several engine and gearbox strips later, and some carpentry, I think I can now do without. If anything needs to be tightly held I can usually manage to clamp it. The relo who got it has since died, and I suspect it went to the tip. Smaller ones have also gone to the kids.

(I know the spelling is controversial, but it is French, cf la vis, and I've always done it that way)

Its not that often these days as you learn what is going to bite you down the track and avoid it. Eg: trying to get accumulators off of citroen regulators. If you can, loosen the sphere while the regulator is still bolted in the car (rather than trying to clamp it in the vice and swing from a strap wrench with a breakers bar). This doens't work with stuck rear suspension spheres though. Come to think of it, its only two day since something has been clamped in the vice while its been swung on hard (so you need it firmly attached to something heavy). My father turned up with a bunch of plumbing connectors he was trying to unscrew.... which mean clamping round pipe in your vice and using the biggest pipe wrenches you have on it.

E254DA15-51CD-4C58-9A8F-BC3175AEC83E.jpeg

Papa, mama and baby pipe wrenches probably would have gone to the tip from the deceased estate had I not made them lounge room decorations. I’ve never used them but I’m sure they’ll come in handy someday. 🤔

I have some Stilson pipe wrenches like yours, and a chain clamp for the tubing (less crushing than the Stilson). Plus a gas torch if needed. No problem.

I haven't had to service spheres though.

You'd be surprised at what one of these will hold. They come in various sizes. They don't have the pressure of a Stilson, but they will still crush anything fragile. There are also vise versions with a second chain at right angles to attach to something solid.
wrench.jpg

Once you properly mount the quick release vice, on a solid bench. Mount one of those small vices bolted to a block of wood 2 x 2" and as long as the quick release jaws. Makes it easy to use the quick release to mount the smaller vice to do smaller finer work. I have done this for years and most of the time never use the big vice unless I have a much larger job (heavy pipework for instance) to hold securely.

Ken
like this little fella..... :)

vise30mm.JPG

there's also a tiny version of the old time leg vise here, at 27mm, and a hand drill to go with it with a 2mm capacity chuck. I'll post a photo if I can dig them out.

Bob

EBAA292D-7D25-4409-A518-CEB4231C6DCF.jpeg

The bench mounted Fabrex has 64mm jaws but my tiny vises are handheld (unless I clamp them in the Fab’).

like this little fella..... :)

View attachment 216249

there's also a tiny version of the old time leg vise here, at 27mm, and a hand drill to go with it with a 2mm capacity chuck. I'll post a photo if I can dig them out.

Bob
Just found another project for the weekend. Have had my Grandfather's 2" Dawn for decades and used it 'loose'.
:drink:Brendan.

Here's a good a new subject.... Tool bags for your boot. Mine is disintegrating in the boot .... What tool rolls/tool bags do you guys have. Then ends have fallen out of the kings tool bag that lives beside the lpg tank in my boot (maybe I'm a touch "rough" with it :rolleyes: ). Oh, if I'm lucky this is a tool bag that will never get used. I just move it to whatever car I'm using. It usually lives beside the gas tank in the shitbox

Here's a good a new subject.... Tool bags for your boot. Mine is disintegrating in the boot .... What tool rolls/tool bags do you guys have. Then ends have fallen out of the kings tool bag that lives beside the lpg tank in my boot (maybe I'm a touch "rough" with it :rolleyes: ). Oh, if I'm lucky this is a tool bag that will never get used. I just move it to whatever car I'm using. It usually lives beside the gas tank in the shitbox
Over the years I have bought and used womens beauty cases from secondhand shops, these are strong, with a zipped lid and will hold most of the small sized sockets and tools for the Fuego, and conveniently drop into the compartment where the Jack is stored in the boot, most can be bought for a couple of dollars almost brand new and when the zip breaks or they get worn and torn out, you can easily buy another similar one that will fit into the same space. Amazing how much they can hold and usually come with a convenient carry handle stitched to the lid. Most I have ever paid was $3 for a nice durable black one.

Ken

Reactions: COL
Over the years I have bought and used womens beauty cases from secondhand shops, these are strong, with a zipped lid and will hold most of the small sized sockets and tools for the Fuego, and conveniently drop into the compartment where the Jack is stored in the boot, most can be bought for a couple of dollars almost brand new and when the zip breaks or they get worn and torn out, you can easily buy another similar one that will fit into the same space. Amazing how much they can hold and usually come with a convenient carry handle stitched to the lid. Most I have ever paid was $3 for a nice durable black one.

Ken
In the past I have used small metal tool box with tools just loosely stored in the tool box.

At present I use a small plastic tool box with tools just loosely stored in it in the R12.

The Laguna has a couple of loose tools stashed in the plastic pocket below the rear tale light on the right.

The Megane has no tools carried in it.

I use a hand towel, lay a few spanners, a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers in the middle, fold the sides in, roll it up and chuck a heavy rubber band around it. No rattles, a rag if need be and I haven't lost a tool using this method yet.🤷‍♂️

one like these....
is pretty handy, Tactix are better. Real good for purring that damn tow ball & associated into so you don't walk into the buggers.... :)
Not much good for 'car' tools in modern vehicles, you might be better off with a reader but I've yet to find a consumer one that tells you what's going on - or not going on.... :unsure: But a good spot for a tape measure, little LED torch, pliers, shifter, rigger gloves and other assorted handy stuff... (y) It's getting towards a return to the pliers 'n fencing wire toolkit of my bike times.... :)
Bob

that is interesting, I thought most would have a tool bag or roll of some sort. Tool boxes are awkward to store and rattle in cars. and usually have sharp edges.

The tool bag I have was really good until it feel apart.

201119-complete_bush_mechanic_tool_kit-studio-resized_25_of_31__4.jpg

So the screwdrivers, sockets and spanners all have there own velcro pockets. I've just added a multi-meter, 27mm breakers bar, packet of cable ties, a bit of wire..... and I need to add one of these 1/4" aldi sockets sets next time I see one on special (it has or the torx, alan and bits in it as well).

they squish into a bag quite well. in a tool box it would be big and bulky and slide around the boot :confused: A cosmetics bag like Ken mentions would be very close to the tool bag ?