michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

Hey Matthew,
Not too much progress with the car of late, tidying up the wiring, the fuel lines and the engine mounts,

Car still starts first tick, but the fans don't seem to kick in yet, even though it gets hot enough. Will have another tinker with it Saturday, but otherwise I will use an aftermarket system.

Still to fit aerocatch on front, bonnet pins on rear, some aftermarket gauges for oil pressure, etc, relocate the battery and install a cutoff switch, new brakes front and rear, new solid rear beam mounts, and refurb the beam itself.

Other than that, I need to save up for the weld in cage, new seat mounts, custom lower wishbones, refurb the drive shafts, and some new rally tyres, and it might just be ready to race in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great, mine os to be a town car / weekend driver. Will over aul beam, fit discs referb calipers and new rotors then fix up the front end with engine, overhauled head ported, all fixitures megasquirt and custom box. new (old) shaftsand bigger front discs. 15 inch wheels. New woring as well, so this might be where I pick your brains.

Thanks and best of luck with it,
Matt

Some progress to report.
Car finally has brakes (rather fun moving it around the paddock with just a handbrake until now)
Bonnet pins fitted on the rear tailgate, Aerocatches fitted on the front bonnet.
All the interior hood lining, door cards, etc, have been removed in preparation for the roll cage.
Cage is booked for installation, as well as exhaust and custom seat mounts. Booked for Early March.
Got all the trim back together for the front, finally looking like a 205 again.
Removed the High Beam lights, find them too low for Rally/Autocross, so will wire up a light bar/HID lights to take that function instead.
Just noticed yesterday that the heater core is leaking inside the car, and so that will need to be bypassed. Oh well.

And a picture to finish.
10922845_10204707284214379_1587088008108832739_n.jpg

You'll need to completely remove the dash to get the roll cage in. Are you having a horizontal bar under the dash? Ideally you should also remove the windscreen.

Attachments

• AprBl1212 adj.jpg
    AprBl1212 adj.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 435
Good to see the project moving ahead again.
I can send you a heater radiator if you like, easy to change.
Could be handy having a demister.

Some progress to report.
Car finally has brakes (rather fun moving it around the paddock with just a handbrake until now)
Bonnet pins fitted on the rear tailgate, Aerocatches fitted on the front bonnet.
All the interior hood lining, door cards, etc, have been removed in preparation for the roll cage.
Cage is booked for installation, as well as exhaust and custom seat mounts. Booked for Early March.
Got all the trim back together for the front, finally looking like a 205 again.
Removed the High Beam lights, find them too low for Rally/Autocross, so will wire up a light bar/HID lights to take that function instead.
Just noticed yesterday that the heater core is leaking inside the car, and so that will need to be bypassed. Oh well.

And a picture to finish.
View attachment 65535

You'll need to completely remove the dash to get the roll cage in. Are you having a horizontal bar under the dash? Ideally you should also remove the windscreen.

Thanks peter.
Yep, dash is out, as the cage maker wants to try and get through the dash, not around it. Horizontal bar under the dash, haven't really thought about it, is it a requirement of that bar for a CAMS cage. Or just more longitudinal bracing?

Windscreen should be replaced anyway, it is showing its age even if it is uncracked. Can that be bought locally?

Good to see the project moving ahead again.
I can send you a heater radiator if you like, easy to change.
Could be handy having a demister.

Thanks graham I will take you up on the offer, demisters in Kyneton are not advisory, but mandatory really.

I haven't forgotten about the springs, but I spent fortnightly wage on the missus birthday present, so it will have to wait another couple weeks. Will message you anyway to set that up.

Not needed for CAMS. Screen best from National Windscreens, I even bought a 309 one from there the other day for $195.

Thanks peter.
Yep, dash is out, as the cage maker wants to try and get through the dash, not around it. Horizontal bar under the dash, haven't really thought about it, is it a requirement of that bar for a CAMS cage. Or just more longitudinal bracing?

Windscreen should be replaced anyway, it is showing its age even if it is uncracked. Can that be bought locally?

Having the horizontal bar is good as can dispense with the lower half of the dash. Mad not to add it if the dash is out.

I will ask the cage builder what he thinks of the horizontal bar, shouldn't be too much more work.
And a new windscreen, that's on the list then.

Hi Geoff, got a little progress with this project, cage is nearly done, will pick it up Monday, and give a rundown of what it has, and what it needs.

Money has tightened up somewhat recently, as I have taken up done navigator duties in intro trial events, but the plan is still to be back out and autocrossing by July.

Photos to come.

Thanks,

Finally, a bit of progress for my build. Rollcage is finished, and back in the garage. Cage consists of main hoop with double cross, double cross over the head, and double side intrusion bar and rear stays. Overall, the work appears to be of a good quality, but a few small issues need attending to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429524016.151376.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429524030.461121.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429524152.874926.jpg

So, started to put the dash back in, but short of putting it in the oven to shrink, that will not be happening. May need to custom make one, or heavily modify a current one.

Finally, I drove the car home from the shop, and got a chance to get it up to a decent speed. Slightly worrying for the first time, but I think the shagged suspension bushes and no tyre alignment contributed to my lack of confidence. Then engine felt pretty good, but will sort out everything else before getting that ironed out.

For those who wanted to know the cost, it ended up coming to $3000, but didn't include taxi bar/ harness bar, so I will see about the angle of the harnesses, otherwise it will have to be added.

Also, used the standard mounts, that have been improved and stengthened. I sat in the car and it was a good height, keeping me clear of the bar work, so no need to drop to the floor.

Thanks,

Still been working on the car, installed a manual fan controller, so I could do away with all the other wiring and relays.

Decided that to get a dash in, the windscreen needs to come out, so hope to do that soon. Ordered some new wishbone bushes, need sway bar bushes as well, and will install them soon, in time for a wheel alignment, and ready for a shake down. Rear suspension will have to wait for the moment, the dog house is a bit cold at this time of year.

Cheers pugmonkey, it really does not look all that great, a collection of a few nice parts at the moment, but once it's all there and i can give it a paint, it should come together nicely.

Been a busy weekend. Had a few mates come over to finish the last few jobs. Series 2 dash went in through the windscreen, so that's been in and out. Battery relocated and cables run, isolation switch wired, but not a kill switch yet, needs to break the start signal. Fitted mudflaps, relocated the air filter, fitted rally tyres and upper strut brace. A few stickers, and its all ready to make its debut this weekend. A few photos of the car after a wash, remarkably most of the paint is still there.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434359199279.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434359199279.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 401
  • uploadfromtaptalk1434359217574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434359217574.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 393
Any chance of getting the Series 1 glovebox lid that you no longer need Michael?

Been a busy weekend. Had a few mates come over to finish the last few jobs. Series 2 dash went in through the windscreen, so that's been in and out. Battery relocated and cables run, isolation switch wired, but not a kill switch yet, needs to break the start signal. Fitted mudflaps, relocated the air filter, fitted rally tyres and upper strut brace. A few stickers, and its all ready to make its debut this weekend. A few photos of the car after a wash, remarkably most of the paint is still there.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

It's now in the silver 205 graham, and I am in the process of putting a series 2 seats into it, trying to tidy it up to the standard of your silver 205.

But if you have a surround that holds the glovebox, and not the lid, I would be happy to exchange.