michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

Hi Michael,
I think we forgot to load up the RHS Si hub on Sunday?
Just a small update...

I have bought another 205, from Graham Wallis, which means it is also ex 205 Maxi
Considering I already have a running 205, and this one has no engine or box, it will most likely get the good bits off the 306.

Taken 12 months off racing to be able to focus on getting this right.

I think so too. Oops. Let me know if you are over west anytime soon and I will try to receive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, that 205 is ex me before maxi!

Cool

Small update...

Been over to EAI and spent my tax refund (better be kind this year Taxman)
Bought a new radiator, water pump and timing belt kit for the gti6 engine, and also a BE3 clutch kit.

So only need the correct clutch fork for the push type clutch, and the rest should be right.
Is it worth chasing down an XSi or S16 gearbox instead? I noticed that Aprilla was selling both items recently.

Thanks,

Ok, time for a progress update.

Quaife ordered, non air con pulleys and belts ordered, bought xsi gearbox off aprilla.

Been stripping the wiring in the 205 for the donor loom, and I must have a unique car, because I do not have the 2 brown plugs that everyone refers to when wiring the loom

Luckily wiring is my strong suite so I will just attach the loom in the engine bay, somewhere out of the way.

Also, can anyone in Melbourne recommend someone who builds gearboxes, as I want the final drive and 1st out of the gti6 box into the xsi box

Sounds good Michael, did you get an answer as to the BE3 or gti6 gears, interested in changing my final drive as well, I believe the later diesels gearbox can provide gears too?

None as yet, but I hope to heat the gearbox out, and take both to a mechanic who can change the gears I want into the xsi box.

Thanks,

Thank you, that answers my other Q, which gearbox are you using. I need to source one too not interested in the 6 speed gti6 box so an early 205 or later 205 box for me.

More progress today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407752443.818285.jpg

Several days of prep, and the engine is out.

The only casualty was the drivers side drive shaft, that I forgot to remove from the rear lower mount, which prohibited it being removed. Had no option but to bust it out at the knuckle.

Anyways, had chaz00 offer his love for the gearboxes, will effectively be the most expensive part of the car, but if that's what It takes to get the ponies down, then so be it.

Not looking forward to putting it into an engine bay 80% the size.

Continued going through the wiring, which seems like it has seen better days.

Can anyone shed light as to what the 3 relays that sit near the passenger side headlight are, I have found the tacky relay, and I think one of them is cooling fan relay, but no luck with the other 2. Wire numbers all are in 58's, with a yellow supply 125 or 126.

Finally expecting delivery of a non AC tensioner and belt, only 2.5 months after I ordered it.

Picking up a gearbox and 266mm brake package this weekend. So aiming to have it moving under its own steam before the end of the month.

The two cooling fans are normally controlled by three relays.

The two cooling fans are normally controlled by three relays.

Hmm... Ok
Any reason why you need 3 relays for 2 fans?
Just my luck that the car is a series 1, so all my wires are in the engine bay.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

So they can connect in series for slow speed or in parallel for fast speed. Very clever.

Indeed, an excellent idea.

One of the relays is destroyed, I can see its insides, so can I assume that all 3 relays are the same?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, spent another night on the wires, think I found everything I need for the conversion. Had to remove a fair bit of loom tape to do it, but shouldn't be too hard to re tape up.

A quick question to anyone with a 205, what is the canister behind the bumper, on passenger side, that runs back towards the fuel tank? I noted that the gti6 had a similar system, but it was on the drivers side of the car, so I need to find out what it does, and know if it can be used or transplanted.

Charcoal canister.

Part of the emission control systems, stores petrol vapour when engine is off, releases it in the manifold when the engine operates. Has charcoal in it, it's sealed, nothing special. Should last the life of the car unless you overfill the tank and it gets flooded by petrol (liquid).

There's a little valve on its output to the manifold, some have an electric valve, some a non powered valve. That is supposed to open when the engine is operated (powered via the ignition switch). The non powered one is opened by the vacuum in the intake when the engine runs. Can be a pain in the butt if the little valve fails in a way that results in an air leak as its output is behind the flow meter. Mine did (someone broke the little vacuum takeoff port) and amongst other things contributed to poor idle. A pain in the butt to get a new one. Cretinoids at Pug dealerships haven't got a clue what the heck the thing is for, nor how to find one (obviously). Got a powered one off a Ford.

I guess it is illegal to remove, but not sure how many still have it (or it works).

Leave it there and use a solenoid valve from an Mi16 to connect it to the new inlet manifold.

Thanks guys.

Hope to get a bit more done in the next few days, picked up the gearbox and front brakes from cam85, thanks heaps.

Just comparing the new gearbox to my spare, neither of which are from a 205, can I use a 306 gear selector arms, or are the 205 ones different?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412727133.705756.jpg

Also, there is no bracket for holding the clutch cable, is this 205 specific too? Comparing it to my 306 xsi box, it does not have the mount points to change it over.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412727217.270681.jpg

Thanks,

Changed water pump and timing belt, is direction meant to be clockwise or anticlockwise? No notation on old belt.