michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

Hey newy,

Never too early to start parting out the gti6, gives me more dollars for the conversion :)

The roof racks are key locked I think, and I unless it is the ignition key, I don't have it.

Pm me with what you need, and I will grab some photos, we can sort it out from there.

Back on topic, bought grp a 205 rear beam mounts from ben405mi16 down in tissue, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, those who have done the conversion, can you use the group n engine mount kit from bakerbm , or is the modified vibra technics mount the best/ only way to go?

I'm pretty sure the bakerbm group n mounts are the same size as OEM but use a harder/stiffer rubber. The vibra technics ones are what I used as you need to machine the drivers side one down 10mm and it's the only design I'm aware of that will let you do that.

You can use a standard passenger side mount but you need to shim it. I again used the vibra technics passenger side and shimmed that instead, but you shim it differently to the way you would the normal mount as it is designed slightly differently. Let me know what way you chose to go and I can provide more info/pics.

Thanks hicho, I suspected that the vibra technics were best suited to modifications as required by the conversion, just wanted to confirm it.

The VT mount can also be modified to lower the engine 10mm to give further clearance of the MC.

Cam

Thanks cam, another vote for the vibra technics. Did you replace them all with a full kit?

Thanks cam, another vote for the vibra technics. Did you replace them all with a full kit?

I'm interested in this too. I was under the impression you can get away with just the drivers' side one, which is the one I purchased. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Good to see another xu10 project! I'm really keen to give autocross a go actually.

G'day chez,

I think I would replace all of my mounts with something, but the vibra technics look rather expensive compared to the group n mounts.

These cars were built for auto cross, just ask graham wallis or Julian (pug life)

For Autocross in SA contact the Walkerville All Cars Club, they have a facility the other side of Truro, also Southern Districts Car Club are getting something going near Cambrai.
SEAC in Mt Gambier have a great track if you want to travel a little further.

Graham

I'm interested in this too. I was under the impression you can get away with just the drivers' side one, which is the one I purchased. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Good to see another xu10 project! I'm really keen to give autocross a go actually.

Just use the VT mount for the top and group N for the others.

The grpN are not really needed for road use. They will vibrate most of the car.

Cam

Thanks again cam, so once the clearance issue is sorted with the top mount, the others only need to be renewed if they are perished.

It looks like the group n would make for a fair bit of vibration, so will have a look around.

You only NEED the VT mount for the drivers side so you can machine it down 10mm. You could leave the passenger side as is, but the engine will not sit level. All you need to do on the passenger side mount is make up a 10mm thick spacer out of aluminium or similar to space the gearbox down 10mm. The spacer goes between the gearbox and the engine mount.

If you use the VT on the passenger side you ditch the aluminium spacer that comes with it and make up some thinner ones up, the result being a 10mm drop, just like the spacer does on the stock mount.

Just depends on how much you want to spend really - and it's worth remembering this is all done to get MC clearance. And, every car is different with regards to how much clearance you need. Mine was a pig, but some find it a lot easier.

I've done two 1.9 Mi16 conversions and each time the Group N mounts have provided enough space and being stiff it means the engine doesn't hit the MC.
Yes lots of vibration but OK for a competition car.
You only NEED the VT mount for the drivers side so you can machine it down 10mm. You could leave the passenger side as is, but the engine will not sit level. All you need to do on the passenger side mount is make up a 10mm thick spacer out of aluminium or similar to space the gearbox down 10mm. The spacer goes between the gearbox and the engine mount.

If you use the VT on the passenger side you ditch the aluminium spacer that comes with it and make up some thinner ones up, the result being a 10mm drop, just like the spacer does on the stock mount.

Just depends on how much you want to spend really - and it's worth remembering this is all done to get MC clearance. And, every car is different with regards to how much clearance you need. Mine was a pig, but some find it a lot easier.

I've done two 1.9 Mi16 conversions and each time the Group N mounts have provided enough space and being stiff it means the engine doesn't hit the MC.
Yes lots of vibration but OK for a competition car.

Graham, from all my reading you are right - stock mounts or groupN mounts will work for the Mi16. BUT the Gti6 is a different beast and the clearance to the MC is MUCH tighter.

As I have said elsewhere, I spent a few hundred deneros to get a couple mm clearance around my MC and most of that coin was for the VT mounts. Having said that, you may get lucky Michael - and I will curse you forever!! Haha!

It's also worth noting that the VT mounts are certainly stiffer than stock as well. I haven't tried any GroupN mounts so can't compare to those, but the little 205 vibrates a good amount compared to the stock mounts in certain rev ranges. Nothing you can't live with.

Hicho,

Would rather not be cursed, but until I put the engine in, I won't know for sure either. Vibrations I will learn to love, that's what makes a weekender / track car special.

Group N mounts are fine once above 2000 or so, idle and low revs are pretty rough.
My 8 valve rally car is much better now it has the fully counterbalanced stroker crank and Mi16s have this as standard so should be OK.
Casnells car is quite smooth with MI16 and Group N mounts.
Graham

Graham, from all my reading you are right - stock mounts or groupN mounts will work for the Mi16. BUT the Gti6 is a different beast and the clearance to the MC is MUCH tighter.

As I have said elsewhere, I spent a few hundred deneros to get a couple mm clearance around my MC and most of that coin was for the VT mounts. Having said that, you may get lucky Michael - and I will curse you forever!! Haha!

It's also worth noting that the VT mounts are certainly stiffer than stock as well. I haven't tried any GroupN mounts so can't compare to those, but the little 205 vibrates a good amount compared to the stock mounts in certain rev ranges. Nothing you can't live with.

Hicho,

Would rather not be cursed, but until I put the engine in, I won't know for sure either. Vibrations I will learn to love, that's what makes a weekender / track car special.

I reckon I was the cursed one!

But you're right, you won't know until you try it. Think I took my engine in and out at least 5 or 6 times to get the MC clearance right.

Good luck on yours and keep us posted.

Anyone who has done this conversion...

Unable to find the 306 Non A/C Tensioner and belt (such as found on 306 Rallye) at EAI,
Does anywhere in Aus stock it, or should I order it from UK?

Thanks,

Just a small update...

I have bought another 205, from Graham Wallis, which means it is also ex 205 Maxi
Considering I already have a running 205, and this one has no engine or box, it will most likely get the good bits off the 306.

Taken 12 months off racing to be able to focus on getting this right.