We're not dead yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transport at its simplest. A man sitting on top of an engine. It could be 1900.
This is the other 125cc bike I ride regularly.
A 1924 model, bit closer to that 1900 Utopia.😉
It has a modern engine/transmission fitted, so has modern reliability, economy and emissions.

Resized_20220907_131531.jpeg

Another nail in the coffin of fossil fuel?

Green hydrogen fuels Tasmanian heavy vehicle

There are 1.445 billion vehicles in the world today. (At Least) The only emissions from Hydrogen powered vehicles (that their proponents will admit to) are H2O and heat. The questions I ask are: 1/. How much water? and 2/. How much heat? Isn't our planet currently suffering from an overdose of both?

Is water vapour a major-greenhouse gas ?

Highly explosive gas. R101. Harder to handle than LPG. Experimental use for seventy years. Ideal fuel for Greenpeace to sit atop in his motor bike. Could even achieve low earth orbit.

Last edited:
Highly explosive gas. R101. Harder to handle than LPG. Experimental use for seventy years. Ideal fuel for Greenpeace to sit atop in his motor bike. Could even achieve low earth orbit.
These Indian college students have "been there, done that" 6 years ago. 148km per litre, if you look closely they are still using a carburettor.
With that extra bit of boyhood enthusiasm they even mounted the "highly explosive" cylinder directly above the muffler.🤷‍♂️
They cite the conversion cost at 7000 Rs or $128 AUD.
If was going to try something, I'd be looking for more of a danger factor that what hydrogen offers, maybe nitromethane or one of the hypergolic rocket fuels.🤔

hydrogen8_1462194104_725x725 (1).jpg

Is water vapour a major-greenhouse gas ?
Yes it's the biggest by volume at 60%.
It doesn't cause warming directly but amplifies the effects of the other greenhouse gases and the other gases drive up the temperature so you get more water vapour, a vicious circle
CFCs don't get mentioned much yet are up to 9000 times worse than Co2.
Can you buy a new car (of any propulsion method) without AC?
I guess you can't risk sweating a little and save the planet at the same time.🤷‍♂️

There are 1.445 billion vehicles in the world today. (At Least) The only emissions from Hydrogen powered vehicles (that their proponents will admit to) are H2O and heat. The questions I ask are: 1/. How much water? and 2/. How much heat? Isn't our planet currently suffering from an overdose of both?
I don't know the answer to either, question, but I guess if you live in an area of high humidity (we get into the 90s%) you can't add any more than 10% water vapour to what is already coming into the engine?
I guess to produce the hydrogen gas in the first place water is being "removed" from the general environment, so that quantity is no longer there to be evaporated into the atmosphere?
I read that a hydrogen combustion engine is designed to take in twice as much air as is actually required to complete combustion. This reduces power significantly but stops NOx from forming.
Is is possible the water vapour from the exhaust is merely the water vapour being taken into the engine being returned to the atmosphere again via the exhaust?
The heat question, I really have no idea, I guess again the theoretical effect (if any) would be variable depending on the ambient temperature of the air going into the engine at the time?
I think there could be room to manipulate the data in either direction (if you were a researcher). depending on which side of the of the hydogen fence one was sitting.🤔

Taking every contributing/mitigating factor into account and coming up with an accurate picture on this technology is certainly well above my pay grade.🤷‍♂️

So when we have one of those periods where water vapour is absent over our land we merely have to ask the motorists to "start your engines"? Wonderful. Although I humbly suggest the amount of water vapour involved would be tiny compared to the monsoon troughs that swirl around the equator. Of course Australia never does things by halves. A surfeit of water vapour for some today but forty years ago exactly it was absent from our skies and a dreadful drought spreading. Given a choice I'll always choose wet over dry.

So when we have one of those periods where water vapour is absent over our land we merely have to ask the motorists to "start your engines"? Wonderful. Although I humbly suggest the amount of water vapour involved would be tiny compared to the monsoon troughs that swirl around the equator. Of course Australia never does things by halves. A surfeit of water vapour for some today but forty years ago exactly it was absent from our skies and a dreadful drought spreading. Given a choice I'll always choose wet over dry.

Not sure that the Western Districts of Victoria are renowned for regular massive floods, but hey, who's comparing?

Kim you know a lot about the countryside. That's what I love about the internet. Post anything and some expert crops up who knows it all. Firstly you don't know the districts I've lived in or floods I've gone through. Lost a 403 wagon when the flood gates of a certain dam were opened in another district far from here and flooded the farm we were on. Floods are floods.
Secondly all riverine environments suffer from floods in certain circumstances. The 1908 flood in the Glenelg River valley was major but the 1956 flood was very dangerous because it came up overnight and required a major rescue operation for which medals were given by the Governor. The 1984 flood was less dangerous because people had warnings about it and most stock were moved but a lot of Casterton went under water. We did some boat rescues of stock. Subsequently proper catchment management of the major Rocklands dam and the pumping of irrigation water through the Wimmera Mallee pipeline into dry areas means the storage of water is reduced and floods less likely. Brian Creek that once killed people in a flash flood still floods Coleraine at times and closes the highway. Not sure the city is known for any knowledge of the western district. But hey it's the internet.

Whilst I would in no way minimise the effects of any flood events in your area or anyone else's (dating back to 1909), I suspect that your locality is not quite as familiar with floods as many other regions of the country.

City man who has never fought fire or flood is an expert who can put down my passing comment. Stick to your suburbs and your keyboard where you can be a know it all internet expert. When you volunteer and put some service in I might take you seriously.

City man who has never fought fire or flood is an expert who can put down my passing comment. Stick to your suburbs and your keyboard where you can be a know it all internet expert. When you volunteer and put some service in I might take you seriously.

Russell, your remarks are what I would politely consider to be deprecating. I was born in 1943 and have been a permanent resident of this country since 1960. I have served in HM's Australian armed services for long enough and in enough places to be awarded several medals. I have completed firefighting courses in the RAAF whilst becoming a qualified tradesman. I have driven vehicles throughout the eastern half of this great country through all kinds of floods and watercourses all my resident life. I consider your "passing comments" rude and insulting. A small apology of some kind would be nice and then you and I could get back to commenting on life in general with a lot less acrimony. :)

Then don't maker stupid and deprecatory comments when I post a comment in good faith. You don't know much about the country and are quite uninformed. Stick to your suburbs and being a keyboard expert. The problem with the internet is there's always a keyboard warrior trying to point score. Makes it unpleasant to comment here.

Status
Not open for further replies.