We're not dead yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be interesting to post some links.

There's a video channel on youtube (not sure, either Aging Wheels or Technology connections?) where you can watch a video about en entire trip across America in a Hyundai electric and they actually measure everything (energy used, etc and cost) and it's not higher than petrol. Many public charging stations used along the way, mostly fast chargers.

See here, minute 12 or so for statistics:

The US cost came up a while back in another thread related to towing. A turbo diesel truck was significantly cheaper to operate than the F150 Lightning using fast chatging.
There is no end of articles on fast charging station costs. You have to ensure you find the latest one as electricity costs are rising faster than grandma's cakes over there.
Currently with petrol at £1.65 the equivalent electricity cost for the same energy consumption cost per km is 65p per kW.
65p supposedly is the current "average" fast charger cost in the UK. However Tesla charge 77p per kW and a company called Osprey currently charge £1 per kW!

I see Russell has just posted a month old link that shows a 5% difference between petrol and electric running costs in the UK (in favour of the EV) however the information in the text is even older.
Note it stated the French fast charge tariff was going to 0.98 Euro in October, the current average price for 95 unleaded in France is 1.78 Euro per litre.
Based on these prices a petrol car's energy cost per km is streets ahead of an EV in gay Paris (if you are relying on on fast charging).🤷‍♂️

The German electricity price is not favourable and isn't predicted to improve. I have lost the link but Der Spiegel published a comparative running cost by a motoring organisation last month that put petrol/diesel cheaper. Of course that could change in December when the EU stops importing Russian fuel.

Yes I've had a couple of the mighty FSM Nikis.
My old job of 26 years was a 20km round trip on almost dead flat country roads.
The 650cc twins used less fuel than the motorbikes I had at the time.🤷‍♂️
A bit warmer in winter as well.😉
Greenpeace,
our kids know the Niki well, my wife's car around the district for some time.
Years back a Doctor at work had bought a Prius and was pro-environment
He asked me one how much one cost to buy and the running costs, he was left in a difficult position .
He was at the time the driving force behind the environmental push.

If you are pro-enviroment it is hard to justify a car that requires leather seats , has a limited life-span
requires a technician to fix it and uses over twice as much fuel to carry one or two people.

I vaguely remember Euro scooters back in the 1960's getting something like 150 mpg but they blew a bit of smoke and lasted forever!
Progress isn't always for the better?
For the moment i see progress as an illusion and people trapped in a consumption driven society.
This fact seems lost on the "Greens".

Last edited:
Greenpeace,
our kids know the Niki well, my wife's car around the district for some time.
Years back a Doctor at work had bought a Prius and was pro-environment
He asked me one how much one cost to buy and the running costs, he was left in a difficult position .
He was at the time the driving force behind the environmental push.

If you are pro-enviroment it is hard to justify a car that requires leather seats , has a limited life-span
requires a technician to fix it and uses over twice as much fuel to carry one or two people.

I vaguely remember Euro scooters back in the 1960's getting something like 150 mpg but they blew a bit of smoke and lasted forever!
Progress isn't always for the better?
For the moment i see progress as an illusion and people trapped in a consumption driven society.
This fact seems lost on the "Greens".
In the white Niki we had, I fitted a center seatbelt in the back. The three oldest kids never got into any mischief as they could hardly move once they were all jammed in there.🤣

My pet hate is the rows of large 7 seat 4WDs and SUVs that sit idling with the AC/heater on waiting for 1 or 2 kids to come out of school.
I'm guessing these same people (as a minimum) will "have to have" a 3 or 4 ton electric version of the same type of vehicle once it comes time to "upgrade".

I've have/had a few 125cc bike's, and they use around 2L per 100kms.
"Funnily" enough the UK are introducing a staggered banning on the sale of new ICE motorcycles and scooters and they are banning the most economical, least polluting, 125cc and under versions first. Makes sense.🙄

Fashion. A car is a status symbol and a small economical car has to be seen as socially acceptable, fashionable even, like the Mini was. It would also be desirable to be able to separate the traffic stream into heavy and light vehicles.

Its no different here in AU with all the dual cab utes around. The best selling vehicles (you can't call them cars) in AU is the Toyota Hilux & Ford Ranger.

And in a pointed reply, I ask why all of a sudden a crew cab ute could possibly be the best selling car in Australia. They handle like a bucket of shite, have no more room than a station wagon for passengers and have the load carrying capacity of a 6x4 trailer on ultra light springs and use a lot of fuel because of their weight. I suspect the reason is advertising and hype. Most crew cab owners will never ever drive them to Darwin and back over a three week annual holiday like I did in a Renault 16TS, through Burke, Mt Isa, Darwin, Alice Springs, Port Augusta and back to Melbourne in 1970.

I live in the country so most of the dual cabs are used to cart things that a regular car/wagon either can't, or things that you wouldn't want "inside" with you.
Utes with pigging dog boxes on the back are in abundance around these parts.
Ditto utes with trail and MX motorcycles, quad bike's etc in the rear.
Slide on, off road campers are in fashion as well.
My oldest daughter's partner had one, f#cked if I can see $40K in it, but hey it's not my money.🤷‍♂️
He's a concreter so uses the ute (Hilux) to carry his work gear and cleans it out and puts the camper on to take the family out bush.
There are probably more dual cabs around here with trays than with stylesides but I guess the sales figures don't distinguish between the two?

The comparison of today's electrics to ICE cars from the sixties is not exactly relevant. None of those old cars would pass registration/compliance tests today so nobody would ever make one today. Compared against modern equivalents, the electrics make a lot of sense given we would make cars anyway (environmental costs). Not arguing that electric vehicles are the be all and end all of transport but alongside ICE vehicles they are definitely part of the future.

One important side effect if you will of the push for electrifying the fleet was a massive improvement of the internal combustion engine too (who woudda thunk?!). So yes, modern petrol cars are very competitive against the electric version (in terms of running cost), but remember it was the electric car that helped the ICE car get there.

I live in the country so most of the dual cabs are used to cart things that a regular car/wagon either can't, or things that you wouldn't want "inside" with you.
Utes with pigging dog boxes on the back are in abundance around these parts.
Ditto utes with trail and MX motorcycles, quad bike's etc in the rear.
Slide on, off road campers are in fashion as well.
My oldest daughter's partner had one, f#cked if I can see $40K in it, but hey it's not my money.🤷‍♂️
He's a concreter so uses the ute (Hilux) to carry his work gear and cleans it out and puts the camper on to take the family out bush.
There are probably more dual cabs around here with trays than with stylesides but I guess the sales figures don't distinguish between the two?
Utes used to hold 2 people or like my '55 Mainline, three people on a generous bench seat. The back of the Mainline was enormous and I camped in it with a big mattress (and custom made hard top from a bloke in Raymond terrace) for many years. I took it all over the place on rough bush tracks to go spearfishing and never once needed 4 wheel drive. The current crop of people who like to call themselves tradies are definitely not financial gurus. They are making lots of money but wasting a lot of it on totally unnecessary "appearances".

There's really nothing new in the world, what goes around comes around.

Armstrong Siddeley sold 6 seat utes from the late '40s to early '50s.
23838900935_c9205243c4_b.jpg
images (94).jpeg

Datsun sold dual cabs from the early '50s on.

1953-Datsun-6147-ute-red-Japanese-Nostaglic-Car-1001x565-1.jpg
1957-Datsun-U220-ute-grey-Wikipedia-1001x565-1.jpg

images (95).jpeg

International and VW from the late '50s on.

1957-International-Harvester-Travelette-ute-blue-Curbside-Classic-1001x565-1.jpg
images (93).jpeg

I always wanted a 320 Datsun dual cab, surprisingly there's still quite a few around, but rust is not their friend.

The comparison of today's electrics to ICE cars from the sixties is not exactly relevant. None of those old cars would pass registration/compliance tests today so nobody would ever make one today.
I think Berridale was alluding to the fact that continuing to use your old ICE car has less environmental impact than buying a new "bells and whistles" EV.
I don't think he was suggesting they should still make the Fiat/FSM 126?

I watched a video where a guy in London bought an FSM 126 for classic use. His video had over 10,000 comments. It seems nearly everone from an Eastern Bloc country owned one at some stage (they made over 4. 6 million of them from 1972 to 2000).🤷‍♂️
He said the 10' long, 4' 6" wide, 600kg car wasn't exempt from the "congestion" charge, so it would cost him £12 a day if he drove it into the "no go" zone.
You can however drive a 18' long, 7' 3" wide, 4200kg EV Hummer around central London and attract no "congestion" charge.
Makes sense.🤦‍♂️

In the white Niki we had, I fitted a center seatbelt in the back. The three oldest kids never got into any mischief as they could hardly move once they were all jammed in there.🤣

My pet hate is the rows of large 7 seat 4WDs and SUVs that sit idling with the AC/heater on waiting for 1 or 2 kids to come out of school.
I'm guessing these same people (as a minimum) will "have to have" a 3 or 4 ton electric version of the same type of vehicle once it comes time to "upgrade".

I've have/had a few 125cc bike's, and they use around 2L per 100kms.
"Funnily" enough the UK are introducing a staggered banning on the sale of new ICE motorcycles and scooters and they are banning the most economical, least polluting, 125cc and under versions first. Makes sense.🙄
I'm a patient person but admit to being sick to death of 4WD vehicles left idling at schools and supermarket carparks, sometimes with one child on board, engrossed in the iPhone. I'm not sure it is even lawful.... Let alone sensible etc etc.

And in a pointed reply, I ask why all of a sudden a crew cab ute could possibly be the best selling car in Australia. They handle like a bucket of shite, have no more room than a station wagon for passengers and have the load carrying capacity of a 6x4 trailer on ultra light springs and use a lot of fuel because of their weight. I suspect the reason is advertising and hype. Most crew cab owners will never ever drive them to Darwin and back over a three week annual holiday like I did in a Renault 16TS, through Burke, Mt Isa, Darwin, Alice Springs, Port Augusta and back to Melbourne in 1970.

I know I keep saying it, but most of Oz is suburban. Yes, most of these utes rarely leave the city and even less often do they tackle a track I'd take the R8 on.

I think Berridale was alluding to the fact that continuing to use your old ICE car has less environmental impact than buying a new "bells and whistles" EV.
I don't think he was suggesting they should still make the Fiat/FSM 126?

I watched a video where a guy in London bought an FSM 126 for classic use. His video had over 10,000 comments. It seems nearly everone from an Eastern Bloc country owned one at some stage (they made over 4. 6 million of them from 1972 to 2000).🤷‍♂️
He said the 10' long, 4' 6" wide, 600kg car wasn't exempt from the "congestion" charge, so it would cost him £12 a day if he drove it into the "no go" zone.
You can however drive a 18' long, 7' 3" wide, 4200kg EV Hummer around central London and attract no "congestion" charge.
Makes sense.🤦‍♂️

Yeah, but in the context of a discussion about the viability of electric vehicles today it makes no sense hence my interpretation of the point.

It may make sense for one to keep using their frugal ICE car rather than buy a new EV but that is not a solution of volumes.

I'm a patient person but admit to being sick to death of 4WD vehicles left idling at schools and supermarket carparks, sometimes with one child on board, engrossed in the iPhone. I'm not sure it is even lawful.... Let alone sensible etc etc.
Particularly when they are well endowed with "save the planet" type stickers

but admit to being sick to death of 4WD vehicles left idling at schools and supermarket carparks,
As am I. Can I also question the complaints about the cost of diesel, how the gummit should be helping them with fuel and interest rate costs because it's so expensive (but they leave the motor on and the windows up and buy the $70k plus dual cabs/SUV to tootle around the 'burbs in the first place)?

I know I keep saying it, but most of Oz is suburban. Yes, most of these utes rarely leave the city and even less often do they tackle a track I'd take the R8 on.
Nonetheless the 4WD ute is the mainstay of Australian economic activity beyond the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.