We're not dead yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then don't maker stupid and deprecatory comments when I post a comment in good faith. You don't know much about the country and are quite uninformed. Stick to your suburbs and being a keyboard expert. The problem with the internet is there's always a keyboard warrior trying to point score. Makes it unpleasant to comment here.

Now you are just being boring. That was in no way an apology for your rudeness. You seem to have it in for anyone who doesn't live in your patch. I and many others are glad they don't. Enjoy your solitary, antisocial existence.

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

Oscar Wilde

To correct an item of misinformation published in this thread. The experiences and knowledge of others should be respected and the suffering and loss of life of country families never dismissed.
flood23.jpg

Some questions Russell,
  1. When was this article published?
  2. What was the newspaper that published this article?
  3. Could you find any other information to prove your claim that flooding is frequent and more devastating than other areas?
As we've tried to discuss before, you need to provide attribution for your 'facts' so other can check them if they don't believe you or find out more information if they want to.

For the record, parts of the New South Wales Northern Rivers (both towns and regional areas) have suffered major flooding THREE times in 2022. The City of Brisbane is still recovering from a major flood in February with some additional flooding in May. I haven't heard of any area of Western Victoria that has flooded twice or three times in a single year.

While your area may have seen some flooding in the past (and if you had provided attribution we could see how long ago that was), there are other areas far worse off on a far more frequent basis than your neck of the woods.

I believe that the only floods of major proportions recorded in Victoria's Western Districts were in 1870, 1909, 2010 and 2011. Minor flooding may have occurred at other times. Compared with what other areas of Australia are currently suffering most would say the Western Districts are doing it easy, flood-wise.

I believe that the only floods of major proportions recorded in Victoria's Western Districts were in 1870, 1909, 2010 and 2011. Minor flooding may have occurred at other times. Compared with what other areas of Australia are currently suffering most would say the Western Districts are doing it easy, flood-wise.
1946? I looked up Hamilton and Port Fairy mentioned in Russell's newspaper clipping (last night for my own education) and this web page came straiģht up.
Maybe there's more years as well?

1946? I looked up Hamilton and Port Fairy mentioned in Russell's newspaper clipping (last night for my own education) and this web page came straiģht up.
Maybe there's more years as well?

"Minor flooding may have occurred at other times." That is, flooding of non-biblical or massive proportions...............

That's the problem with the internet. Impossible to share good fellowship, to make a comment based on ones own life experience without some ignorant loser trying to point score. In the volunteer emergency services we're used to it. We all know if city media hasn't reported it then it hasn't happened. Keep it, we just imagine it.

"Minor flooding may have occurred at other times." That is, flooding of non-biblical or massive proportions...............
Did you even read the articles???
An "inland sea" doesn't sound too minor to me?

I lived in Brisbane during the 1974 floods, right on the banks of the Enoggera Creek, it was f#cking sh#t.

I lived in the Lockyer Valley during the 2011 floods right on the banks of the Lockyer Creek "the Inland Tsunami" it was f#cking sh#t.

I been through dozens of floods in between (all over Australia) that comparatively speaking weren't so bad.

The accounts from the Western District in 1946 sure sound like f#cking sh#t to me as well, but hey what would I know.

This sure seems like a deviation in this thread that is not going to have any "winners".

"My natural disaster is worse than yours" sure sounds like a topic that, even if you "win" at it, you alreadly lost anyway.🤷‍♂️

I'll just repeat. I've seen wet and I've seen dry and I'll pick wet anytime. Forty years ago exactly a dreadful drought deepening that ended with the worst fires over south eastern Australia in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.