Two new racecars in NZ

Frans. We tend to use a billet steel Ford pulley, as the Renault ones are not mechanically reliable. Other benefits of the Ford part is that it is smaller and does not over rev the waterpump as much. only downside is the imperial keyway has to be opened up to the Metric size.
Link https://www.burtonpower.com/v-pulley-crankshaft-4-steel-fp224.html
One of those odd small tweeks you don't regret.

Steve,
I machine, crank, alternator, and I have done 2 water pump pulleys from Ali. (On Sierras) The crank pulley I put a seal saver on the seal surface. They work very well.

Ray

Frans. We tend to use a billet steel Ford pulley, as the Renault ones are not mechanically reliable. Other benefits of the Ford part is that it is smaller and does not over rev the waterpump as much. only downside is the imperial keyway has to be opened up to the Metric size.
Link https://www.burtonpower.com/v-pulley-crankshaft-4-steel-fp224.html
One of those odd small tweeks you don't regret.
Thanks for the tip Steve! I realise that you only mention the keyway difference but are the Imperial ID and OD dimensions so close that it fits perfectly?

Frans.

Frans. It is a perfect fit on the crank and I'm sure if the seal is not the same it is easy to replace. As it is 1 solid piece it's perfect to fabricate on to. You also may need to face its inner diameter down slightly to get all the pulleys to align.

Ford pulley resize.jpg

This is one that has had a large recess bored into it to take the Dry sump drive pulley and 2 driving pins.

A pulley like the one Swan is mentioning is also avaliable with a 36tooth trigger pattern.

Attachments

• 51D2BA86-17EF-4ACE-B1B4-1CFFA853559C.jpeg
    51D2BA86-17EF-4ACE-B1B4-1CFFA853559C.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 115
Hi All,

I had a weekend I would rather forget. It was a huge race weekend saying goodbye to one of our most famous International tracks, namely Pukekohe. It was a magical 63-year-old track that has seen big names on its surface. The likes of Jim Clark, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren, Jack Brabham, Graham Hill and so I can continue.

Back to the present. The last event ever was held this weekend and was called "Flying Farewell" over 3 days starting on Friday. I was preparing a few small things and changed my disc pads from front to rear to get more padding on the fronts as they were low. Some distraction and I must have forgotten to tighten the right rear. Friday 6.00 am I left my house and about 25 km further on the motorway the wheel departed. I shat myself and managed to change lanes and park on the side of the motorway. Do you know how far you travel in an instant? Run back to get the wheel and you will realise. Cross over 3 lanes, get the wheel, and return back to "safety", very very scary. When I got back to the car I started contemplating. I was parked on the tarmac on the side of the motorway. There is no open ground because it is mid-city with a concrete barrier on my left and motor way on my right.

Luckily I had my tools with me but problem no.1 was I couldn't get the jack under the car. Try lifting the rear with your hands and maneuvering the jack underneath to lift it with cars flying past about 1 - 2 meters from your arse! The mess I saw was terrible. The studs were hanging loose, worn holes, threads damaged, etc. etc. With a vice grip and rattle gun I tried freeing some thread to tighten the wheel. Eventually, I could use 2 studs and fitted the racing wheel. Then I had to do the other side as well because of different tires and a locked diff. The rears had to be exactly the same size. Packed the tools and towed to the nearest off-ramp and filling station. There I repeated the whole job again to get 3 studs to screw in.

I returned back home and stripped the caliper and rotor and got the hub in the vice. I could clean the studs properly but the holes were 1.5 times their original size, I could not use the spare because there needs to be some milling done to take the 16TS rotor. I bolted a wheel to the hub and tack-welded the back of the studs to the hub. Then completed the assembly and hit the road. I arrived at the track just before qualifying, but without fuel and tire pressures checked, etc. So I missed qually.

Race one. I started from the back of the grid in position 36! When the lights went out all was well and I made up a few spots and finished about in 28th place. Checked the fuel and oil and went home.

Back at the track on Saturday morning and race no.2. A good race with some work to do and finished well. I returned to my pit area and went back to watch the next race while the car was cooling down. I opened the front to refuel and was called away to the track as they wanted a photo shoot of all the drivers present at this historical meeting. Then when I returned to carry on prepping for the next race I found my windscreen shattered. How, when I don't know. The car was on the level ground under the Gazebo. Nobody knows and those who do know don't want to speak. oh yes, and being on the outfield in our allotted pit area, the oil cooler duct caught on a tree root and that was ripped off, 2 weeks ago I dropped a piece of wood and split my toe open. Do you know how sore it is putting racing boots on that are super narrow?

thumbnail_IMG_0977.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0978.jpg

My toe for all to see and feel sorry for me.

thumbnail_IMG_0960.jpg

I have remebered to turn the cam on in the 2 nd race, I will put it on when prepared for YouTube.
Regards, Frans.

Hi All,

I had a weekend I would rather forget. It was a huge race weekend saying goodbye to one of our most famous International tracks, namely Pukekohe. It was a magical 63-year-old track that has seen big names on its surface. The likes of Jim Clark, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren, Jack Brabham, Graham Hill and so I can continue.

Back to the present. The last event ever was held this weekend and was called "Flying Farewell" over 3 days starting on Friday. I was preparing a few small things and changed my disc pads from front to rear to get more padding on the fronts as they were low. Some distraction and I must have forgotten to tighten the right rear. Friday 6.00 am I left my house and about 25 km further on the motorway the wheel departed. I shat myself and managed to change lanes and park on the side of the motorway. Do you know how far you travel in an instant? Run back to get the wheel and you will realise. Cross over 3 lanes, get the wheel, and return back to "safety", very very scary. When I got back to the car I started contemplating. I was parked on the tarmac on the side of the motorway. There is no open ground because it is mid-city with a concrete barrier on my left and motor way on my right.

Luckily I had my tools with me but problem no.1 was I couldn't get the jack under the car. Try lifting the rear with your hands and maneuvering the jack underneath to lift it with cars flying past about 1 - 2 meters from your arse! The mess I saw was terrible. The studs were hanging loose, worn holes, threads damaged, etc. etc. With a vice grip and rattle gun I tried freeing some thread to tighten the wheel. Eventually, I could use 2 studs and fitted the racing wheel. Then I had to do the other side as well because of different tires and a locked diff. The rears had to be exactly the same size. Packed the tools and towed to the nearest off-ramp and filling station. There I repeated the whole job again to get 3 studs to screw in.

I returned back home and stripped the caliper and rotor and got the hub in the vice. I could clean the studs properly but the holes were 1.5 times their original size, I could not use the spare because there needs to be some milling done to take the 16TS rotor. I bolted a wheel to the hub and tack-welded the back of the studs to the hub. Then completed the assembly and hit the road. I arrived at the track just before qualifying, but without fuel and tire pressures checked, etc. So I missed qually.

Race one. I started from the back of the grid in position 36! When the lights went out all was well and I made up a few spots and finished about in 28th place. Checked the fuel and oil and went home.

Back at the track on Saturday morning and race no.2. A good race with some work to do and finished well. I returned to my pit area and went back to watch the next race while the car was cooling down. I opened the front to refuel and was called away to the track as they wanted a photo shoot of all the drivers present at this historical meeting. Then when I returned to carry on prepping for the next race I found my windscreen shattered. How, when I don't know. The car was on the level ground under the Gazebo. Nobody knows and those who do know don't want to speak. oh yes, and being on the outfield in our allotted pit area, the oil cooler duct caught on a tree root and that was ripped off, 2 weeks ago I dropped a piece of wood and split my toe open. Do you know how sore it is putting racing boots on that are super narrow?

View attachment 218793

View attachment 218794

My toe for all to see and feel sorry for me.

View attachment 218795

I have remebered to turn the cam on in the 2 nd race, I will put it on when prepared for YouTube.
Regards, Frans.
You've had better weekends Frans!! Condolences and thanks for sharing. Is that a toughened windscreen, not a laminated one?

Makes my recent run of no luck look like Bugger all !!!
Love the No Surrender Attitude though. Beware of Distractions, they get more distracting as you get older.............
Laminated Screens only for Racing in the UK. I once got the Big end bolts from the Elan in Front of Me bouncing off the Screen after it Blew up at the end of the main straight. A real `What the F--K was that' moment.
Hope you have better times ahead

Some inspection should tell you if there was some nefarious activity but if you do not find an impact point to explain it, if it was hot, your windscreen might have shattered because it has expanded and didn't have enough room. It does happen.

Commiserations.

Yep had a ston glance off a r12 screen 45 odd years ago ,warm day,go out later that night and screen is shattered,cooled down enough to expand chip I reckon

Frans, I'm impressed you didn't get run over and possibly a ticket for J walking on the MW while collecting a wheel. I've only broken down twice on the Southern MW side and that was enough to jump the fence and get help. Puke we'll always be remembered for the great racing and some seriously damaged vehicles, and some even rebuilt to race again.

Glad you made it to the event, completed some racing on it final day:cry::cry::cry:

A few photos I found on the net during the in between times when the going was good.

337540596_536652031912064_997654789515071899_n.jpg

On track and alone.

338423946_898651088075278_6146074764249145828_n.jpg

338686844_752195089971208_2604103957892231423_n.jpg
339011922_967378637727837_4644462943973483064_n.jpg

Returning back to the pits.

339290400_537026441917596_7116332717802174203_n.jpg
338381914_205825862085158_4133027571424984686_n.jpg

And then a T-shirt that will become a sought after item and I can sell it for a couple of thousands bucks.

Regards, Frans.

Makes my recent run of no luck look like Bugger all !!!
Love the No Surrender Attitude though. Beware of Distractions, they get more distracting as you get older.............

With the costs of entering races I'll fight to the bitter end to get some value for my money. It is actually financially driven. ;);)

I said in a previous post that I have now officially retired, guess what, I had a phone call 2 weeks ago with the result that I am starting back at work as a contractor on Monday 21st August!

And the new racing season is starting on the 2nd of September. How convenient.

I won't be ready due to other chores around the house and being slack because "there is plenty of time left". I got the damaged wheel welded up by a friend of mine. Unfortunately, I haven't got the "before pictures but I can assure you that it was properly stuffed. I made several special tools to fit the rim on my little milling machine and spent some hours getting everything machined in my own way.

I have now reached a point where the rim is almost complete except that I have to increase the wheelnut holes from the existing 14mm to 19mm. It uses that special shoulder nuts, that's why the holes are so big. The reason why the holes are 14mm now is because I used a hub to get the PCD right and after knocking the studs out I found those holes to be 14mm.

Now the dilemma, how do I get the holes to 19mm? I do have a 19mm drill but that won't fit in the milling machine. I have to drill it by hand with an electric drill but it is going to grab like hell. I can make it 18.5mm as well and then ream the holes to 19mm but still, the drill will grab. Does anybody have a trade secret of how to do this?

Some photos of my doings and screwings with plenty of imagineering.

This is the welded shut holes, they were about 30mm in dia.

thumbnail_IMG_1065.jpg

This is the machined level it has to be.

thumbnail_IMG_1068.jpg

Then I made up a centerpiece from an old piston and bolted an aluminium stub to it. I then machined it in the lathe to give me a true center so that when I lay the sacrificial hub on top it would be dead center.

thumbnail_IMG_1069.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1070.jpg

Then I clamped the hub down and drilled the new holes.

thumbnail_IMG_1072.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1073.jpg

So that is where I am at the moment and therefor the questions.

Regards, Frans.

I said in a previous post that I have now officially retired, guess what, I had a phone call 2 weeks ago with the result that I am starting back at work as a contractor on Monday 21st August!

And the new racing season is starting on the 2nd of September. How convenient.

I won't be ready due to other chores around the house and being slack because "there is plenty of time left". I got the damaged wheel welded up by a friend of mine. Unfortunately, I haven't got the "before pictures but I can assure you that it was properly stuffed. I made several special tools to fit the rim on my little milling machine and spent some hours getting everything machined in my own way.

I have now reached a point where the rim is almost complete except that I have to increase the wheelnut holes from the existing 14mm to 19mm. It uses that special shoulder nuts, that's why the holes are so big. The reason why the holes are 14mm now is because I used a hub to get the PCD right and after knocking the studs out I found those holes to be 14mm.

Now the dilemma, how do I get the holes to 19mm? I do have a 19mm drill but that won't fit in the milling machine. I have to drill it by hand with an electric drill but it is going to grab like hell. I can make it 18.5mm as well and then ream the holes to 19mm but still, the drill will grab. Does anybody have a trade secret of how to do this?

Some photos of my doings and screwings with plenty of imagineering.

This is the welded shut holes, they were about 30mm in dia.

View attachment 225989

This is the machined level it has to be.

View attachment 225990

Then I made up a centerpiece from an old piston and bolted an aluminium stub to it. I then machined it in the lathe to give me a true center so that when I lay the sacrificial hub on top it would be dead center.

View attachment 225991

View attachment 225992

Then I clamped the hub down and drilled the new holes.

View attachment 225993

View attachment 225994

So that is where I am at the moment and therefor the questions.

Regards, Frans.
Nice work Frans. Way beyond my pay grade. Can you turn down the shank of a 19 mm drill to fit in the milling machine? As if you wouldn't have thought of that. I'm gathering that retirement means you can still do some work but very much on your own terms, if you want to. Skill shortage!!