Tool Talk

I guess the photo doesn't add much but these new acquisitions are gearless ratchets.
They claim to have a minimum turning arc of <1deg.
And I am sure we've all been in THAT situation on occasions where such a device would have been very handy indeed.
View attachment 222521
My young fellow bought those in Snap-on, he loves them.
The price was eyewatering though.🥺

I guess the photo doesn't add much but these new acquisitions are gearless ratchets.
They claim to have a minimum turning arc of <1deg.
And I am sure we've all been in THAT situation on occasions where such a device would have been very handy indeed.
View attachment 222521
how do they work? I've never heard of them.

Any of the one way clutch mechanisms, eg ball and ramp, sprag, etc working against a ring.

been looking at this sort of kit for years, finally found a job for it... :)

RivetStuff.JPG

price was eye-watering, but worth it for an easy job. All looks to be Taiwanese stuff except the Cleco, USA.
Supplier was Bullant in SA.
Bob

been looking at this sort of kit for years, finally found a job for it... :)

price was eye-watering, but worth it for an easy job. All looks to be Taiwanese stuff except the Cleco, USA.
Supplier was Bullant in SA.
Bob
Ok Bob. Riveting stuff all right. (Sorry 🙂).
What sort of riveting is this for? Looks like a small and large range, but what are the little "monkey wrench" looking things?
Cheers.

Ok. A picture:
That wasn't aimed at you. I just used an old phrase. I thought your description was very succinct, seasink.
Your comment was posted during the time it took me to find a link and post it.

My young fellow bought those in Snap-on, he loves them.
The price was eyewatering though.🥺
Ah well, if you buy that brand, the eyes never stop watering...
As per SS's observation, the 1/2" drive was indeed $49, and the 1/4" drive one was $29.

You can buy them for less. I have seen one at $49.
Oh I realise that. I'd never buy Snap-on and my young fellow (he's 34) isn't a religious Snap-on zealot (like many are). IIRC Snap-on had some sort of deal going on the ratchets, they were discounted from "WTF" down to "are you serious"?😉
Having said that he doesn't buy any sh#t either, most of his tools are for his trade.
Me I'd rather buy and break 10 cheap tools than buy one good one.🤷‍♂️🤣

Ok Bob. Riveting stuff all right. (Sorry 🙂).
What sort of riveting is this for? Looks like a small and large range, but what are the little "monkey wrench" looking things?
Cheers.

Chris, this is kit for small solid rivets, typically 1/8" aluminium for sheet metal. The temporary fasteners are "Cleco"....
pretty clear in this advert, remember war time movies in the aeroplane factory, all those doovers holding the panels together whilst fitting and riveting, similar stuff. They are usable single handed from one side. The monkey wrenches are edge clamps for use with the Cleco pliers, damn strong springs, you don't want fingers in there !
I got a nice plasma cut rather large griffin for my Taffy descent missus, it's in two parts, with lots of distortion of course, that needs to be riveted together. Lots of fettling, the Cleco gear is made for the job.
Might also be a useful alternative to a lot of spot welding on car panels.....

Bob

Chris, this is kit for small solid rivets, typically 1/8" aluminium for sheet metal. The temporary fasteners are "Cleco"....
pretty clear in this advert, remember war time movies in the aeroplane factory, all those doovers holding the panels together whilst fitting and riveting, similar stuff. They are usable single handed from one side. The monkey wrenches are edge clamps for use with the Cleco pliers, damn strong springs, you don't want fingers in there !
I got a nice plasma cut rather large griffin for my Taffy descent missus, it's in two parts, with lots of distortion of course, that needs to be riveted together. Lots of fettling, the Cleco gear is made for the job.
Might also be a useful alternative to a lot of spot welding on car panels.....

Bob
That's funny, I thought they were "klinkos" as that is what the guy on the fitzees fabrication youtube channel calls them :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bob
I also had to purchase a new riveting tool this week. Using 4.8mm aluminium sealed pop rivets, my little old hand pliers type pop riveter was just too hard to compress. As I had about 50 of these to do, putting hinges on a series of pool gates to make a concertina type of fence, I looked for suitable additions to my tool kit (again). Chose this Wolf brand lever action riveter from Total Tools $65. Works a treat with its double leverage action. After about 6 rivets it jammed, and took me a while to work out the spent rivet nails were jamming in the back of the nozzle, falling in from the container between the levers. Easy to remove container and clear the nails now that I know what's happening. Good tool.

IMG20230603110111_red.jpg
IMG20230603110126_red.jpg

Reactions: COL
I also had to purchase a new riveting tool this week. Using 4.8mm aluminium sealed pop rivets, my little old hand pliers type pop riveter was just too hard to compress. As I had about 50 of these to do, putting hinges on a series of pool gates to make a concertina type of fence, I looked for suitable additions to my tool kit (again). Chose this Wolf brand lever action riveter from Total Tools $65. Works a treat with its double leverage action. After about 6 rivets it jammed, and took me a while to work out the spent rivet nails were jamming in the back of the nozzle, falling in from the container between the levers. Easy to remove container and clear the nails now that I know what's happening. Good tool.

View attachment 222659View attachment 222660

My brother purchased a battery operated riveter (expensive). They are magic though, big rivets I stuggle with it just does in the blink of an eye. The problem with the big riveters that give you leverage is they often wont fit into the space where the rivet needs to go :( I wonder if ozito make a pop rivet gun yet .... :clown:

Last edited:

View attachment 222659View attachment 222660

Oh, its only jamning because your using it vertically, I bet if you stand the gates up rather than lay them down, it no longer jams :unsure:

Yes, that would be the case. For this job, laying them down to square them up is most convenient. I also wondered how a magnet in the container might work, but would make it harder to empty. That container is good, though, with the other plier type, I'm always conscious of where the spent nails are ending up.

My brother purchased a battery operated riveter (expensive). They are magic though, big rivets I stuggle with it just does in the blink of an eye. The problem with the big riveters that give you leverage is they often wont fit into the space where the rivet needs to go :( I wonder if ozito make a pop rivet gun yet .... :clown:
You can buy an air riveter at Bunnings for just over $100. If your doing all your fabrication in a workshop environment and own a compressor they're great. A mate of mine owns an engineering shop and they only use air riveters.🤷‍♂️

I think I will wait till Aldi bring in a 20 volt battery operated rivet gun, if there is a market, China will make a tool cheap enough that should outlast my DIY days. :) pragmatic view of course.! :unsure:

Ken :rolleyes: