Tool Talk

Thanks guys. In terms of shear size, bulk and weight, this grader has been the most difficult to manage.View attachment 129527View attachment 129528

Wow, they sure do have some $$$ in these projects. That looks like a scraper ... He could go into business making them to that standard! You must have forklifts there to have moved that around while it was being built.

G'day,
having just put up a couple of new little sheds, they needed some basic "stuff" to clutter their little benchtops so that one doesn't have to do the fifty yard walk to get a plier or something.... Have to mention this lot, that have served us well in odd jobs....

* Work Force Plier Long Nose Extra Long 275mm
<https://shop.hg.com.au/work-force-plier-long-nose-extra-long-275mm-15741>
* Medalist Plier Bent Nose Extra Long 275mm
<https://shop.hg.com.au/medalist-plier-bent-nose-extra-long-275mm-15742>
* Work Force Plier Diagonal Cutting 200mm
<https://shop.hg.com.au/work-force-plier-diagonal-cutting-200mm-15750>
* Work Force Plier Longnose 200mm
<https://shop.hg.com.au/work-force-plier-longnose-200mm-15751>
* Work Force Plier Linesman 200mm
<https://shop.hg.com.au/work-force-plier-linesman-200mm-15752>

I've just equipped two benchtops with basics for about $100, I reckon that's a good deal. They're not fancy name brand top stuff but they're certainly good enough for this job - and save a lot of walking.... :) Other stuff ? plenty of spare saws 'n screwdrivers and the like here already... :)

cheers,
Bob

Thanks guys. In terms of shear size, bulk and weight, this grader has been the most difficult to manage.

Nice! I like the gusseting. The rocker axles will be good for evenness, and the tilt design is clever. What is the purpose of the alternative attachment point near the rear of the tilt ram?

The spare wheel is surely overkill.

It would need 100 hp to do it justice, maybe 150 hp. Any more might be a little unkind.

Shane, it's not a scraper because it doesn't carry the dirt.

Roger

Nice! I like the gusseting. The rocker axles will be good for evenness, and the tilt design is clever. What is the purpose of the alternative attachment point near the rear of the tilt ram?

The spare wheel is surely overkill.

It would need 100 hp to do it justice, maybe 150 hp. Any more might be a little unkind.

Shane, it's not a scraper because it doesn't carry the dirt.

Roger
Oh, its a massive box blade! I didn't pick that. The box blades I've seen just get picked up by the linkage! Interesting design. I wonder if the fact its towed at a distance rather than attached by the linkage allows it to level better.

I doubt Roger has needed to lift anything heavy in years.... he'd use a tool to do the heavy lifting ... carry all, fel, crane, forklift ....... he could probably add another 20 things that "lift" for him!

They're only Kincrome, might be OK for someone who wasn't a tool snob, good value if that's all you want or need.

Down the paddock I can usually fix most things with the hammer, fencing pliers and 12 inch shifter I carry in the 4 wheeler.. Plus fencing wire and hayband. Round the yard I just raid the workshop for whatever I need. unless its still where I last used it. Sometimes I wonder how a bloke can have several of the same size tool and not be able to find any of them.

I'm a barber surgeon at best, didn't study that stuff long enough to qualify and ended up getting the title Jill Biden style.

And yes, running a farm on my own I have accumulated an extensive collection of equipment to lift and move stuff.

Roger

The big question: what's with the combination spanners. I mean 9, 11, 15 and 16 mm? They're just getting rid of unwanted sizes.

Have fun,

Rob.

The big question: what's with the combination spanners. I mean 9, 11, 15 and 16 mm? They're just getting rid of unwanted sizes.

Have fun,

Rob.

I purchased a little HRD set for total tools as it was half price (a small 3/8ths set) a couple of weeks back. I didn't realise until a couple of days ago they have skipped bloody 12, 15, 16 ..... all the useful sizes

the small 1/4" ALDI set .... brilliant. wobble bars, nice soft "click" action to the ratchet, bunch of useful torx and allan key varietys. and it goes upto 14mm which is really useful

Last edited:
They're only Kincrome, might be OK for someone who wasn't a tool snob, good value if that's all you want or need.

Down the paddock I can usually fix most things with the hammer, fencing pliers and 12 inch shifter I carry in the 4 wheeler.. Plus fencing wire and hayband. Round the yard I just raid the workshop for whatever I need. unless its still where I last used it. Sometimes I wonder how a bloke can have several of the same size tool and not be able to find any of them.

I'm a barber surgeon at best, didn't study that stuff long enough to qualify and ended up getting the title Jill Biden style.

And yes, running a farm on my own I have accumulated an extensive collection of equipment to lift and move stuff.

Roger
Enjoyed our tour of some of that equipment Roger. On the subject of multiple tools owned and never finding them, as one gets older I find a necessity after using tools and even if dog tired from the effort, take the time to return them to where you would expect to find them. I could never get that prepared or organised enough to create shadow storage boards for each individual tool ( I envy those who are so pedantic and perfect in that every tool has its perfect place) but I do have old steel cabinets with long drawers to store say big screw drivers and smaller screwdrivers and another place for micro screw driver sets.

As you get older, tasks are more demanding and you have to be prepared for that long weary clean up (takes some determination..) and resist the temptation to just chuck things back in the garage as I learned a long time ago! Still have "stuff" I can't find, but then it makes it quite satisfying (trip of discovery:D) when you have one of those cleanups and find "stuff" that you either knew you had or amazingly "stuff" you didn't remember aquiring.

Even worse when you have shifted or consolidated tools etc from another place as when you moved to one location (as you have been through Roger) I am still finding all sorts of things buried in containers that came from my Fathers estate! To save carrying loads of tools to Echuca and Launceston where I regularly do small projects it was easier to have duplicate tool sets and that saved a lot of time, but as memory fades that little bit, or plays tricks, you can spend time looking for something (a tool) you thought you had (and you do.. but not here at this location. Yes I envy those pedantics that create shadow boards , every tool in its place!! They must expend an inordinate amount of time and mental energy.

Perhaps others that do create such personal tool management systems could share their creations and ;)on the need to emulate their devotion to never needing to look for that Tool! :D

I guess the rest of us will survive...

Ken

Have you noticed that when you go to the drawer in the house where you know you left a Phillips head screwdriver, it has transmogrified into a flat blade screwdriver?
Then 6 months later, when you really need that flat blade, it has changed back to a Phillips head?
😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I now have 10 (or maybe 12 if you count the ones without handles) toolboxes metal and fabric, filled with as much as I can carry, Each has a prominent label of the type of stuff in it. Some tools are duplicated as required by label. As well as car fixing boxes, there are such as "Plumbing" and Electrical" and "Carpentry"

Usually I do a job with only one or sometimes two boxes, and finding and putting away tools is easy. Most are stored with each other side by side, but two are in a cupboard near the front door for those quickie jobs.

I did it because I could previously never find things, and I hate tidying up and sorting after a job.. With only one box out, even I can put things back.

Well, I recently put in a set of pull down attic steps. All the stuff rarely used is in the ceiling I lined with 16mm composite board. Like the air compressor, 3 or 4 transmissions, radiators steel off-cuts, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc. etc.
Seems I'm up & down those attic steps 10 or more times each day. Great exercise but not when one is feeling a bit dizzy with low blood pressure.

Those 4 individually described spanners appear to be to fill in gaps in the ratcheting spanner set.

To me, almost no size is unwanted. Using the examples to hand, 9 and 11 mm are common Citroen sizes, 15 is the size of several nuts on my 4 wheeler, 16 is the new metric standard head for 10 mm bolts.

Roger

Well, I recently put in a set of pull down attic steps. All the stuff rarely used is in the ceiling I lined with 16mm composite board. Like the air compressor, 3 or 4 transmissions, radiators steel off-cuts, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc. etc.
Seems I'm up & down those attic steps 10 or more times each day. Great exercise but not when one is feeling a bit dizzy with low blood pressure.

Nuts, bolts, screws, etc, I can understand. But my mind is boggling at seeing you carrying an air compressor and transmissions up a set of pull down attic stairs!!! You need one of those hoists hanging out through a window, like one sees in the old flour mills, warehouses, etc.
But my compliments to you, if it works! 👍👍👍

Nuts, bolts, screws, etc, I can understand. But my mind is boggling at seeing you carrying an air compressor and transmissions up a set of pull down attic stairs!!! You need one of those hoists hanging out through a window, like one sees in the old flour mills, warehouses, etc.
But my compliments to you, if it works! 👍👍👍
I have a similar setup in the roof of my house, the heaviest item up there is about 20Kg and the bulkiest are rear car seats, all squeezed in through a 800 mm square person hole.

All my heavy items are in the shed, could never imagine getting them up in the roof space or for that matter the roof trusses holding that much weight.

could never imagine getting them up in the roof space or for that matter the roof trusses holding that much weight.
we had about 60 30l tubs of books "upstairs" in the old place, and a little block 'n tackle at the manhole to ease the man burden getting them up and down.
Trick is to place stuff like this over the non load-bearing partition walls, gives peace of mind.... :)
Bob