Tool Talk

Hello Con,

That's a kind offer, thank you. Where in Sydney are you? I don't go there often, but "Buttercup" Bob does, and he and I often swap weird stuff with each other. Another possibility is the "Cit-In Courier Service", where someone from Sydney brings it to Cit-In at Easter. I am sure we can find a way to make it work.

Roger

I have a similar setup in the roof of my house, the heaviest item up there is about 20Kg and the bulkiest are rear car seats, all squeezed in through a 800 mm square person hole.
Hmnmm . . here's an idea.

Why not extend that 'person' hole to twice it's length.
It'd still fit between the ceiling joists and be easier to get a car seat through. Probably not much down side as these access holes are usually placed somewhere unobtrusive.
I might have to look into this for myself.

Reactions: COL
Hmnmm . . here's an idea.

Why not extend that 'person' hole to twice it's length.
It'd still fit between the ceiling joists and be easier to get a car seat through. Probably not much down side as these access holes are usually placed somewhere unobtrusive.
I might have to look into this for myself.
It is a good idea, but the only thing that I have tried to put up there that doesn't fit is the cardboard box that the TV came in.

My person hole is placed under the apex of the roof out in the garage with a home made ladder for access that is lifted up to the ceiling when not in use.

My roof is 1.8 metres at the apex from the bottom chord of the roof truss giving plenty of room for storage of things that are not used very often. I think most roof/attic spaces in Australia would be very under utilised.

It is a good idea, but the only thing that I have tried to put up there that doesn't fit is the cardboard box that the TV came in.

My person hole is placed under the apex of the roof out in the garage with a home made ladder for access that is lifted up to the ceiling when not in use.

My roof is 1.8 metres at the apex from the bottom chord of the roof truss giving plenty of room for storage of things that are not used very often. I think most roof/attic spaces in Australia would be very under utilised.
Made to fit exactly between joists & a ticketed Carpenter installed for $100.
Would not be difficult to do for any young bloke [the Carpenter] took about 30 minutes, but if comfortable, anyone.
BTW I finished it off to suit my garage as I was not happy with the extended ladder not being to a design I like, although it was legal.
Careful cutting of the rails steps got it so as to resemble a ladder placed along side a wall & EZ to climb.

we got a similar item from another maker [?] also a green shed item was not in stock nor was there any vacant hole for it....
So we happened upon another chain in the following week, Muddy's at Bannokburn, just wandering through, in stock and $50 cheaper than the green shed, win, win.... :)
Installed ourselves, took ages, a tradie does this for $100 !!
cheers,
Bob

Reactions: COL
I inherited a smaller and less complete but similar looking box of tools from about 1890. Mine were all for framing carpentry. The video owner was a joiner.

Like the video, all my trays are dovetailed, and the timbers are lovely, but the corners of my box and its lid are reinforced with steel fittings. It was probably carted about, though there is no lock.

I inherited a smaller and less complete but similar looking box of tools from about 1890. Mine were all for framing carpentry. The video owner was a joiner.

Like the video, all my trays are dovetailed, and the timbers are lovely, but the corners of my box and its lid are reinforced with steel fittings. It was probably carted about, though there is no lock.

I did think "how on earth would you move it" when I saw the contents. It would have to weigh easily a couple of hundred kgs!

I understand they normally stayed in a workshop or lived on the tray of a cart or waggon, a bit like the modern aluminium plate tool boxes on ute trays. Outdoor ones would need some sort of coating.

Mine has varnish, later touched up with ugly green paint where damaged. The trays are uncoated, made of cedar..The lack of locks is intriguing given the value of tools. Was the video chest securely locked?

I understand they normally stayed in a workshop or lived on the tray of a cart or waggon, a bit like the modern aluminium plate tool boxes on ute trays. Outdoor ones would need some sort of coating.

Mine has varnish, later touched up with ugly green paint where damaged. The trays are uncoated, made of cedar..The lack of locks is intriguing given the value of tools. Was the video chest securely locked?

I don't know. They don't show the lock. If you watch it towards the end they pull out a hinge. Hand made probably 200 years ago. Once of the hinges on the box must have broken, but the builder couldn't stand to throw the other hinge out. so put it inside the box.

My father was a carpenter and when he passed, my brother and I basically shared his tools.
Back in the day, there was much pride in Sheffield steel which was duly stamped on quality tools like his chisels.

I still use his chisels and probably my son will after I'm gone.
Here's the thing . . the steel in modern chisels is far better than the old Sheffield steel. No doubt metallurgy has improved a bit.

But the handles on my Father's chisels are better than most modern stuff.
It seems they improved the steel but forgot about the handles.

Almost, but not quite. It has 28mm but not 29mm. I have never encountered a 28mm hex, but the steering relay nut on a DS is 29mm.

Roger

Almost, but not quite. It has 28mm but not 29mm. I have never encountered a 28mm hex, but the steering relay nut on a DS is 29mm.

Roger
Oh .. missed the 29 ... I read it and thought "never needed a 31mm spanner". Is there any other missing I've read over ?