The TRACTION! Appreciation Thread

You missed the 11BL roadster Gerry! Great photos Don. What a collection! - even a Mehari. What is the large old v8 sedan in two of the photos?
Love that early DS and the roadster
Dave

It's true that most of the Tractions I didn't take pictures of.
Actually most of the cars.
Meharis, there were like six. 2CV/Dyanes, like 15.
He showed me a working (he started it) 2CV with an automatic transmission. Rigged it himself. Crazy guy.
He even has a 4-cylinder boxer Rolls-Royce small plane engine under a tarp in a corner.
Shelves full of stuff like kerosene motorcycle lamps...
I'll have to go back there with a proper camera.

The V8 is a 1927 Cadillac. The level of finish on that is amazing, especially the interior. But it was dark and the phone had no flash...

Bit hard to say exactly but the front guards and bonnet extension panels look wrong for a six. That does not mean that someone didn't try to stuff a six engine and gearbox into it. My bet is that it is a 1938-9 Familiale with the four cylinder engine in it. The add description is misleading! 11 C6 ????????? Where did they get that from?
More likely an 11F or if it is an 11C it would have to be the Commerciale. There is no way of telling from just that photo!

One for sale in Finland

tractrion.jpg

Described as BL11
4D Berline
First registered 1946
1910 cc

The car has been on what they call Museum registration since 2004

This was the only photo

Yes you can see the early type of front seat with the exposed chrome rail. Note the semaphore signals mounted in their own little boxes on the lower part of the A pillar! Obviously not Lucas units ----probably of Continental manufacture!

Hi Guys

The car is a a 1956 11C, a Commerciale, (with pre war Pilot wheels), the same as the last traction to leave the factory in '57

Best regards,

Greg

Yes I have seen that kind of damage on a traction before. They are really very strong against frontal impact. Also side impact.
I inspected a car that was for sale as a parts car. It had been hit in the drivers door by an MG TC. The MG driver was drunk and T boned the Traction. The lower sill moved 3 inches and the centre of the door pillar moved six inches.
The TA driver received a bruised arm, and the MG was totally destroyed. The engine was 50 yards down the road and the chassis split apart. The only reason the MG driver survived was the fact that being drunk he rolled after being thrown from the car.
Another TA I saw was in a wrecking yard. It had been hit front on and the car had buckled upwards at roughly the engine side damper mounts. The passenger compartment was totally intact but the front doors would not shut and unfortunately the driver of this car was impaled on the steering column.

Probably has a lot to do with the hidden 'angle' L section steel welded to the inner sill & running the length of the door section. This is covered by the outer sill (rocker) panels. I believe the designers were a bit nervous as it was one of the first monocoques so built in some extra strength.
Regards, Baldrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at a DS sill beam. They are triple strength as well! No nervousness involved at all just common sense and no cheapskate solutions. ------After all the car was built by engineers not a committee where accountants rule!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
rather than a new thread might i bump this one just to get a date for this brochure?
Hot Cars

Last edited:
thank you very much for that - way beyond my references, or wikipedia ...
makes it quite a late Kow, i'm thinking