The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)

Will do, the dynamic compression is a lot lower effectiveley 10 bar, 239 psi with 50 degree injection timing. Will ask someone who kows a lot more then me though.

Matt

So much to spend money on, timing belt and water pump ordered, and this is what I will do

PAS removal - Engines Forum - Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club

and the big question is about to be answered

Static compression ratio of 10.8:1.
Effective stroke is 2.80 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 9.06:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 186.63 PSI.
Your effective boost compression ratio, reflecting static c.r., cam timing, altitude, and boost of 0 PSI is 9.06 :1.

Last edited:
The journey continues, not that I can quite compare to Richards new paint work but I commited to the megasquirt II today and the journey to discovery begins along with a bluetotth interface so now wires when tuning are required. Still to decide on pistons and rings hopefully aftermarket 86.5mm pistoms to make this sing.

Oh I also rust converted the battery tray why are they so susceptable?

Clutch ordered, brake master cylinder, silicon hose kit for gti6 conversion and gear linages and bushes.Where will this stop?
This is a serious shopping habit i have, happily i have a (small) budget for it, just need to stick to it.

Here it starts, nice clean engine in bits to reassemble. Today's efforts until I realised we had two sets of big end bearings and no mains.

Oh well,
Pistons with rings, thanks to Jeff etal on the Vauxhall links, they fit very well next o no ring gap once in.
GTI6 calipers coming this week, lets see who gets there first Graham or Jeff?

Thanks to all who have helped so far,

Engine start of assembly.jpgWelch plugs.jpg

Today's efforts afer getting the right bearings, 1.5 to 2.5 thou clearance on the main journals, big ends very tight too perhaps 1 to 1.5 thou, this will ease with time. Had to use a J4R crank as mine was at the limit of clearance around 1 and 5, 3 was at 1.5 thou but the ends have worn.
Crank in forgot the squirters.jpg

Now what? fit the pistons of course, new big end bearings.
Crank in now pistons.jpg
Botton end finished.jpg

Finished on the botton time to close it up
Botton end finished.jpg

Trebond red and sump on now the head, new gasket fit the two dowels and away we go, oil on the bolts, 35nm 70 nm plus 160 degrees that is a bit of hard work, you can feel the bolts stretching.

Head on looking good, storm on its way so time to shut shop, have lunch and fiddle with some other things to mount to block, only to take them off again when I paint it.
Head on.jpg

Fit the water pump and that's it for today.
End view.jpg

Fit my old XU9 engine mount, shift a dowel, FU magic. Looks like Chez will get on the road before me. I am looking on as I am going to also trick up a J4R as a bolt in change for this J4RS lump.

Last edited:
What year is this engine? I've had numerous RS engines apart all the way from '97 to '04, Gti6 and VTS, and I've never seen those cam gears. The number 1 main cap casting is different too.

Those Opel rings have much better oil control rings.

Yes he has, I will not advise what some of my other skills are, needless to say they make a big mess.

Any way progress today in the milk crates of bits I found the lower engine mounr, alternator and wonderfully the starter. Its an S1 205 GTI so the question is now will it fit a BE3 box from a S3 GTI?

Need new headlights due to age and fatigue, ordered. Need top mount and gearbox mount as well as a new fitting to the lower mount.

Rear beam being reconditioned. Car is clean inside and still smells the same just need to celan out smashed glass from rear window and have it rettinted the same as the rest..

Bonnet and roof need a respray to be the same as other panels.

Worst thing is the prick broke the red reflector on the back which is impossible to replace now days.

This will start in enrnest within the next few weeks, just need to decide whether to get aftermarket pistines, bore it out to 86.5 and trick it up and run E85.

Hi Mathew,

Sorry to hear about the nightmare I feel for you.

I've got a red rear reflector for the boot panel that your welcome to have, its got a couple of scuffs/a bit dull but no cracks.
Would probably polish up good!

If you want it give me a call 0488 627997

Good luck with the project

Nick

Bluey, not sure what year it is but its an older one so I would guess 97/98. Not sure why its different but its an RFS block as given by the stamping on it. Good to hear about the rings, glad something is going my way:)

Nick, great to chat and as discussed I wilol arrange for pick up, good to have it if I cannot get mine fixed.

thanks to all who have assisted,

Matt

Last edited:
Struts overhauled, waiting on drive shafts, amusing myself making things threads do not show but its an oil pressure adapter, GTI6 only has switch and I want pressure too.

oil pressure adapter.png

As i said before. Use an S16 one. They go straight on.

Will try Cam, finding parts and a sociable and patient car parts place is hard, need bits for the doors where the magic maggot stole inserts, god help me with the dash the cluster is sitting loose and I have not gone in there. Your knowledge set is at least two cars ahead of mine!

Will try Cam, finding parts and a sociable and patient car parts place is hard, need bits for the doors where the magic maggot stole inserts, god help me with the dash the cluster is sitting loose and I have not gone in there. Your knowledge set is at least two cars ahead of mine!

G'day,
if you are not careful, you could end up with a really cool custom.:wink2::pugplak::pugplak:

Progress to date, engine almost ready and car being prepared, power steering in and cooling pipe about to be fitted.

Here is some bling, intended to cut down heat into firewall and then into cabin.

Engine.jpg

Not quite Mark, your coil holder inspired me, the extractors are just 200 odd to get done, I want something like your to hold the LS2 coils. Ths is nothing on Bluey and Cam / Pats car, I wish!

Last edited:
One step closer today, put in a battery checked for shorts and powered the car up, most things worked, headlights and front electrics did not most likely because of earth return missing, hence my other post. I hope there is a contract out on that mongrel who stole these things.

Good news, rear lights OK, radio working, wipers, clock, no front lights at all.

Dash is intact mainly boy they are getting brittle, 4 monthe in the sun certainly did the paintwork any favours. (ony S1 with intact upper dash in the whole wide world?

Engine will be going in soon and I will sort out the wiring at that point. Lots of googling to find the wiring diagrams etc.

Joy oh joy.

Update, fitted earth blocks and connected up connectrs, all front lights working :)

Matt

Last edited:
My worst fears ar now confirmed that f'ing f'wit magic has smashed the dash to pieces, why?

It was to pinch the main loom connectors and whatever they connect to, because they are not there and he has obviously been right through the dash, bits broken between steering wheel covers and intrumentation over towards the fuse panel, broken behind the middle push switches.

Out with the JB weld now to put it right. Time to get an SLR?

Matthew, you really deserve to have a nice car at the end of all this.