The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)

Matthew

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Here is what I was left with, it would have been the best S1 in Aus, now faded and with out its engine or gearbox which went with a hord of things somewhere out Ipswich way. Here starts a new project, lots fo work to do!

Attachments

• 205GTI.jpg
    205GTI.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,175
Hi Matthew, I must be missing something here........was your car stolen and returned to you without an engine and gearbox:eek::confused:....????

Nope the car went off 5 years back to get an engine replacement, nothing done and my head was used in his car soon after it arrived. Money never returned, window broken (bikie mates), siezed wheel bearings and 4 months in the sun. Requested to come and recover it as he buggered of

Unbelievable:eek:!!!! What an A#@$hole!!!!! So this bloke has received your car on the understanding that it was to have an engine rebuild by him, and then he takes the head and puts it on his OWN car, and then the rest of the parts get given away or sold or thrown out or something??????:eek:

That it! My sentiment exactly.

There are others in the same boat, I think we will all get karma recognition at some stage.

I will be stuffed if I am going to let this stop me, busy collecting / buying bits. Hubs and shafts on their way, engine being cleaned and checked, contact made with a few on the good side of the community in town and planning and knowledge acquisition underway. Gearbox in Syd with Adrian W picking it up next month. Poorer financially but much richer for the efforts of others of recent.

Last edited:
This story sounds a bit like a incident of a few years back involving someone I know and one of the Melbourne mechanics listed on this site. Very distasteful. Possible libel laws mean that I wont disclose who it is.

I reckon somewhere along the line he has or will be receiving a bloody great dose of karma. He seems to have upset all the wrong people.

Yes he has, I will not advise what some of my other skills are, needless to say they make a big mess.

Any way progress today in the milk crates of bits I found the lower engine mounr, alternator and wonderfully the starter. Its an S1 205 GTI so the question is now will it fit a BE3 box from a S3 GTI?

Need new headlights due to age and fatigue, ordered. Need top mount and gearbox mount as well as a new fitting to the lower mount.

Rear beam being reconditioned. Car is clean inside and still smells the same just need to celan out smashed glass from rear window and have it rettinted the same as the rest..

Bonnet and roof need a respray to be the same as other panels.

Worst thing is the prick broke the red reflector on the back which is impossible to replace now days.

This will start in enrnest within the next few weeks, just need to decide whether to get aftermarket pistines, bore it out to 86.5 and trick it up and run E85.

........... just need to decide whether to get aftermarket pistines, bore it out to 86.5 and trick it up and run E85.

E85 is a PITA.
Limited range of car, limited availability of fuel, increased sump snot, potential alloy corrosion problems and variations in ethanol %/octane are problems that are just not worth having IMO.

E85 does however leave the tailpipe looking a nice graphite colour, and the exhaust smells real good.

My car went through a few tanks of it as an experiment, but the massive amount of peanut butter coloured sump snot collected in the catch can was the main reason I went back to 98.
I didn't need to use e85, just wanted to as an experiment.
Simply retuned, looked at the injector duty cycle and reduced the rev limiter to suit.
My engine is not exactly a screamer so a few less revs didn't realy matter much for the sake of the trial.

Glad I did that experiment though, because it didn't take long for me to decide that e85 is a complete PITA.
It would have made me very grumpy to discover that after replacing injectors.

Jo

Given my experience with biodiesel I would venture to say it may have cleaned out soemthing there all along. Did it persist with use and cease likewise?

Given my experience with biodiesel I would venture to say it may have cleaned out soemthing there all along. Did it persist with use and cease likewise?

It was a freshly rebuilt engine and a sparkling clean one at that. The ethanol possibly made it even cleaner though.
The peanut butter stuff in the sump is always going to be a product of cold starts regardless of the fuel used, but the amount of water that was making it through the engine and out the rocker cover was alarming.
I cant say I maintained with the trial long enough to answer your question. It all just got too difficult to be bothered continuing.

Jo

Fair enough, I am interested enough to try it myself if I get lucky enough and there is enought time to get me out of this mess that I am pesented with.

I have decided t go the high compression rod and pistons {12.5 CR} so plans are underway. Will stay with stock cam unless it does not work and see how it goes.

I have decided t go the high compression rod and pistons {12.5 CR} so plans are underway. Will stay with stock cam unless it does not work and see how it goes.
I am afraid that the stock cams are too tame for such high compression ratio and you will get pinging. You may want to check with PeterT.