RENAULT Juvaquatre Dauphinoise - 1958...Oh no!

Just finished watching a movie set in Belgium in the 1950's on "World Movies" called of all things "Marina".
A nice looking grey-green Juvaquatre commercial featured in quite a few scenes.
It was the grocery store owners vehicle.

Paul.

All Original Driver: 1956 Renault Juvaquatre Dauphinoise | Bring a Trailer

Hey Graham. haven't read much of the thread for quite a while, thought this maybe of interest though mate

Good pick up Chris.

I note that this car has the Dauphine motor which was introduced into the Juvaquatre range in 1956, hence the name 'Dauphinoise'. This would make your car an R2101, though the documentation is a little contradictory.

Read all about it in French..:deal:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image (36).jpg
    Image (36).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Image (35).jpg
    Image (35).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 878
Just finished watching a movie set in Belgium in the 1950's on "World Movies" called of all things "Marina".
A nice looking grey-green Juvaquatre commercial featured in quite a few scenes.
It was the grocery store owners vehicle.

Paul.

Hmm, in the interest of research I googled 'Marina' and got an eye full of nudity.:eek:

Didn't see any car, so I best keep searching.:spy:

Hmm, in the interest of research I googled 'Marina' and got an eye full of nudity.:eek:

Didn't see any car, so I best keep searching.:spy:

It was a movie about the life of an Italian born accordian player/singer Rocco Granata who grew up in Belgium.
His father worked in the coal mines there along with a lot of other Italians.
Love of his life was the daughter of the local grocer who owned the Juvaquatre.
Marina was the name of one of his songs.
Details here, New Flemish film Marina tells story of Rocco Granata | Flanders Today

Paul

Thread hijack! Sorry - no connection to a Renault of any description, but the mention of 'Marina' has brought back memories.

As the article in the link explains, Rocco sang in Italian despite living in Belgium. Marina was a hit for him in Europe in 1959. Surprisingly it was even known and sung in country NSW!

At that time I was attending a one-teacher primary school west of Tenterfield (NSW). Now in the 50s and 60s, tobacco was grown on the river flats up on the NSW border. The acreages weren't big, but at the time NSW thought it should have it's own tobacco industry, and we were on the Eastern edge of it (it stretched all the way out to Ashford & Bonshaw!)

However the locals, being old-school graziers, weren't big on farming and especially didn't like the idea of all that weeding and spraying, not to mention the hand-picking of the leaves etc., so they hit on the idea of share-farming. The concept was simple - you got someone else to do all the hard work and take all the risks, while you as the landowner creamed off a large percentage of the profits!

Surprisingly there were people prepared to take the risk - mostly Italians, but also a few Dutch people. Significant numbers of 'new Australian' families moved into our valley, and played a major part in keeping our tiny schools open. As a result, in the early 60s I learned to count in Italian and Dutch. I also learned the song 'Marina' - I doubt that the ABC ever played it, but the Italian kids knew every word it and taught us.

I still remember the chorus, so be warned! It would probably only take a little encouragement for me to burst out in song - especially after a glass or two of Sangiovese or Lambrusco!

Cheers

Alec

Postscript - some of the Italian families made enough money to buy out the Anglo-Celtic graziers (who in truth had only held the land for at most 50-60 years, after the forced break-up of the old squatters' runs). Although tobacco is no longer grown, they irrigate crops and make Italian wine.

PPS - one of those little schools has just reopened, due to the arrival in the valley of African refugees, who have been invited into the district by the locals (both Anglo-Celtic & Italian).

End thread hi-jack

Last edited:
Well, Lozange Passion International served up a delicious array of Juvas. I thought there'd be a core of folk quite interested.

Photos attached..... There were two more, but I'm sorry to say I missed photographing them it seems.

The service van is about a 1957 Dauphinoise I believe.

Attachments

• P5210025.jpg
    P5210025.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 635
  • P5210027.jpg
    P5210027.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 458
  • P5210029.jpg
    P5210029.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 366
  • P5210195.jpg
    P5210195.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 473
w.jpg

Edit: found the after photo:-

w2.jpg

Last edited:
What a great truck. Diamond badge hard to read, consistent with Foden but I doubt it is.

What a great truck. Diamond badge hard to read, consistent with Foden but I doubt it is.

Johnno,
Isn't that a Simca L'Intendante vis a vis with the Renault?
At first glance I thought the truck may have been a Dennis. Foden badges were much bolder.

O/T Dennis trucks were sold in Subiaco [WA] by Lloyds back then along with Panhard. Citroen and Borgward.

Johnno,
Isn't that a Simca L'Intendante vis a vis with the Renault?
At first glance I thought the truck may have been a Dennis. Foden badges were much bolder.

O/T Dennis trucks were sold in Subiaco [WA] by Lloyds back then along with Panhard. Citroen and Borgward.

It is a great truck, with a nice period load. JNSN (JeNSeN) is the truck, made by the same people as the Interceptor, but under the JNSN name for the commercial vehicle division.