Renault 16 Appreciation Thread

I am just about to put a 16TS back on the road.

This car I have had for about 3 years, it came from Adelaide about a year before I took it over as a project for myself. It was driven around Perth for about 6 months till the rego ran out and then put into storage. It has not run since. A year ago it was brought into my workshop and I did some cleaning on it, and a check over. Then suddenly My 16TX became available. So this TS was put on the back burner, with intentions of selling it. I started getting it fixed as a runner in Jan '15 and my son and I have done small sessions on it since. Well eventually 2 weeks ago, with a fresh sump of oil, a primed oil pump and a new filter, it was brought back to life. This was a memorable experience for me with all my R16TS background. The motor and gearbox are very sweet and work a treat. It IS a good project car.

To make it more understandable, 4 weeks before getting it started a good member of Aussie Frogs bought the car after a visit. I will let him introduce himself in time.

White 16TS 1.JPGWhite 16TS 3.jpgWhite 16TS 4.JPG

To go with post #5: Results from Jugiong 1972, entrant No 41 (yours truly) finished 13th overall in the red R16TS owned by Brian Watling beaten for first LWB (and a Front Wheel Drive) by 1/10th of a second on hand held timing over 9 tests by some smartarse :))) in an R12with a floor-mounted handbrake!

(I made up the bit about the handbrake, it had an umbrella type just like the R16! Left foot braking was the only real option for "handbrake turns"!

Attachments

• JUGIONG RESULTS 1972 13TH.jpg
    JUGIONG RESULTS 1972 13TH.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
tres bootiful, m8 - love the colour!!!

my trak yellow baby is also in at the body doctor clinic, waiting with a worm on my tongue for quotes (with apologies to the brilliant Robin Williams = with baited breath) - we should all be on the lookout for suicidal tendencies, it's always a tragic event for all concerned
I'll be changing to the alloy grille too, so much nicer than the black plastic

BP

I am just about to put a 16TS back on the road.

This car I have had for about 3 years, it came from Adelaide about a year before I took it over as a project for myself. It was driven around Perth for about 6 months till the rego ran out and then put into storage. It has not run since. A year ago it was brought into my workshop and I did some cleaning on it, and a check over. Then suddenly My 16TX became available. So this TS was put on the back burner, with intentions of selling it. I started getting it fixed as a runner in Jan '15 and my son and I have done small sessions on it since. Well eventually 2 weeks ago, with a fresh sump of oil, a primed oil pump and a new filter, it was brought back to life. This was a memorable experience for me with all my R16TS background. The motor and gearbox are very sweet and work a treat. It IS a good project car.

To make it more understandable, 4 weeks before getting it started a good member of Aussie Frogs bought the car after a visit. I will let him introduce himself in time.

View attachment 70612View attachment 70613View attachment 70614

Well let me just introduce myself as the new proud owner of this mighty car.
i can't add any more pics yet as Ray is the Man doing the R16ts up.

When it is all ready to go, I will post some pics to share with you all.

one of the main reasons ( my logic ) for this purchase is that my 93 yr old dad owned many of these from Dec 68 til 2001.

This will relive my memories of when I had many in the 70's and 80's.

Mark

Renault 16

This was taken up in Quorn in about 1985 when our family did a trip up to the Flinders Ranges in SA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 383
This was taken up in Quorn in about 1985 when our family did a trip up to the Flinders Ranges in SA.

My home town from 1971-1973. Looks like the usual parking difficulty in peak hour.

The SA Renault car Club used to camp in Aroona Valley off Brachina Gorge each October long weekend when the wildflowers were out. Happy days

Thanks for the memory jog.
Keith

2. Early 16TS at Collingrove Hillclimb (NOT an ideal hillclimb car)

hey JohnW - perhaps not an ideal hillclimb car on bitumen but my 16TS always won the class at the dirt track Echo Valley in Toowoomba (I have the certificates to prove it)
they also used to do street car races (them were the days - all you needed was a helmet) - one of my fondest memories is the battle twixt moi and a V8 Monaro - on every straight he'd roar past, on every corner I'd go around him, inside or outside, dint matter, while he was braking I was still on the throttle, every time he put his foot down anywhere near a corner he went sideways. Of course he won because he roared past me to the finish line - and the crowd went wild! The Monaro driver and moi had a fantastic 'verbal interaction' after the race and we remained friends for many years...
cheers
BP

hey youse mob
I am in the market for four new tyres for my 16TS
am happy to pay the extra for Michelins or Continentals, any comments and/or options for sellers?
cheers
BP

hey youse mob
am happy to pay the extra for Michelins or Continentals, any comments and/or options for sellers?
cheers
BP

In my view, by far the best option at the moment for an R16 on 4.5" standard rims is 165/70-14 (not 175/70). Why? because that size is offered in Continental's excellent PremiumContact2 (fairly crisp responding, good wet grip under braking and laterally and benign limit behaviour). This size is about the same gearing as a 145/80 & so will involve a trifling under-gearing (just under 3%) compared to the OE R16 TS 155/80 (although note that the TL had 145/80).

I can't imagine why one would fit anything else. For some comparative test results on it see:

Continental Premium Contact 2 | the Continental Premium Contact 2 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Icing on the cake until the end of June is a "4 for the price of 3" deal. So, around $140 x 3 = around $420 for 4 tyres. (price from Jax)

Edit: Actually, I've just noticed that one can now get 175/70-14 in the PC2 as well. And Jax has them at $135 each, so $405 for 4. Same gearing as the 155/80 & fine on 4.5 rims. Probably a better bet than 165/70 if you now have 155/80, as the 155/80 spare would be more suited to a front flat tyre situation.

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
I am in total agreement with 4cvg. We had a thread about this last year when I was enquiring what I should put on my 16.

The Continental 2 is exceptional and I have been very happy with the advice I was given. They have good pattern and road-holding ability, plus they are fairly quiet.

Alastair

hey youse mob
cheers
BP

So, what did you end up fitting & how have you found them?

cheers! Peter

I am happy with my Nankangs. I am not after ultimate roadholding or anything like it as all of my driving will be down the main highway at 110 km/hr or less or on a secondary road at much less.

nothing yet! pulling my hair out trying to find anything locally, may have to bite the bullet and pay for freight from somewhere else in Oz - happy to drive into BrisVegas...
still hoping to do the 4 for 3 deal through Jax (local) but depends on availability
will keep ya's posted
cheers
BP

nothing yet! pulling my hair out trying to find anything locally, may have to bite the bullet and pay for freight from somewhere else in Oz - happy to drive into BrisVegas...
still hoping to do the 4 for 3 deal through Jax (local) but depends on availability
will keep ya's posted
cheers
BP

You ought to be able to do the deal, pay for them, get the 4 for 3 price before the end of June & then have the tyres arrive locally when available. If your Jax won't do this, then I'd be surprised.

cheers! Peter