Renault 16 Appreciation Thread

I am happy with my Nankangs. I am not after ultimate roadholding or anything like it as all of my driving will be down the main highway at 110 km/hr or less or on a secondary road at much less.

The issue with Nankangs is not one of ultimate roadholding but the emergency brake or the emergency swerve (or a combination) occurring in the wet. I wouldn't want to rely on Nankangs helping me out in such circumstances.

Bonne chance! Peter

I have a great appreciation for the Renault R16TS, as we as a family ran 2 off simultaneously in the Transvaal (Jo'burg) and Eastern Cape (Port Elizabeth) between 1980 and 1993. Both were scrapyard refugees and both built in different styles.

The Yellow one came first, as a Avocado Green, and was turned into daily transport, to eventually being rebuilt into the very rugged Yellow car over about 5 years.

The White one was built over 5-6 months, almost continuous work, and became my wife's car.

They were used a lot, and both did extensive kilometres. The White car did about 160k after it's build at about 120k, and the Yellow car did 210k after we bought it and was at 160k when I brought it home. The Yellow car had a very modified motor in it, which did about 80k before the car was sold, when we left for Australia.

White TS 1.jpgWhite TS 2.jpgYellow TS 1.jpgYellow TS 2.jpgG16TS-OrangeRiv.jpg

I have a great appreciation for the Renault R16TS, as we as a family ran 2 off simultaneously in the Transvaal (Jo'burg) and Eastern Cape (Port Elizabeth) between 1980 and 1993. Both were scrapyard refugees and both built in different styles.

The Yellow one came first, as a Avocado Green, and was turned into daily transport, to eventually being rebuilt into the very rugged Yellow car over about 5 years.

The White one was built over 5-6 months, almost continuous work, and became my wife's car.

They were used a lot, and both did extensive kilometres. The White car did about 160k after it's build at about 120k, and the Yellow car did 210k after we bought it and was at 160k when I brought it home. The Yellow car had a very modified motor in it, which did about 80k before the car was sold, when we left for Australia.

View attachment 71093View attachment 71094View attachment 71095View attachment 71096View attachment 71097

Dang- the black over yellow paint actually changed the styling of the car. Interesting.

Passed a reasonably good white 16TS on a car trailer being towed up scenic hill leaving Lithgow today. Looks like it could be heading for some restoration ? Body looked OK apart from a yellow RHS front door.

I had no reasonable offers on the body shell I had for sale on here this year so it will be headed for the scrap yard soon. Not much Renault 16 appreciation for that one ?

That could be the one from out west that was on its way to Windsor. The owner bought it for the engine and is going to part it out after the engine is pulled.

The 16 is back from the body shop with it's new paint job and repairs. Now the interior needs a few tweeks.
FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender-1.jpg

DS Tragic Now that brings back memories, very nice body and paint.

Enjoy,
Ray

I'm a long term Citroen owner/operator, but with a Renault chaser.
For many years, I'd own a Citroen (DS, GS, CX, etc) and concurrently an R4.
Great cars. But also along the way, I've owned various R16 (TS).

My "test" before buying one was a quick trip around the block.
Good ones were smooth, easy, supple. Fast decision.
Not so good ones were rough, clunky and not too pleasant.

Great ride comfort (seats and suspension) and "that" cabin versatility.
At home in the city and long drives; IMHO a finer car for Oz than a Kingswood....:rolleyes:

Ultimately, they lacked the sharpness of the Citroen in things like braking and steering,
I used to say that up to 8/10 the Renault was fine, but in those last 2/10ths the Citroen was more
reliable. My girlfriend managed to roll an R16 during a highway altercation.

But one of my all-time fave cars "for all seasons."

Wildebeest !!!!

The attachment on the back door, above the rear window was a frame, to which was added a "Gerry Can" for doing long trips. As on a few occasions in ZA we would get places and they would not be able to supply fuel, In particular the Northern Cape. So it became habit to carry a can when on the open road. It was padlocked to the carry frame. And that can is still used today.

Old habits get dirty, and die hard.

Ray

I sold one to a fellow in Victoria many years back, near Glen Wills -Omeo. I reconditioned the TS engine and it went very well.
They were a boozy lot and it was not long before they rolled it. The story got back to me that the car was damaged and not pretty , since they were remote they just kept on driving it for a few more years.

August issue of Octane has a nice article on the R16 (in celebration of its birthday). cheers! Peter

I sold one to a fellow in Victoria many years back, near Glen Wills -Omeo. I reconditioned the TS engine and it went very well.
They were a boozy lot and it was not long before they rolled it. The story got back to me that the car was damaged and not pretty , since they were remote they just kept on driving it for a few more years.

You would, of course, wonder whether they had the presence of mind to turn the engine off whilst the vehicle was inverted. I never tipped either of my 16's upside down but I did manage to flip a 12 at a reasonably low speed. Turned the engine off immediately. Anyone know why you would do that?

While we are on R16 appreciation.

I am trying to track down the owner of a '72 16TS, Alpine White, from Adelaide went to WA (Perth) in about 2012. Had an unusual decal (transfer) on the rear quarter panels, "NIKOLKA". See picture.

Nikolka image 16.JPG

My brother rolled his TS in the early seventies. Those incredible roof rails meant he just opened the door and walked away.

While we are on R16 appreciation.

I am trying to track down the owner of a '72 16TS, Alpine White, from Adelaide went to WA (Perth) in about 2012. Had an unusual decal (transfer) on the rear quarter panels, "NIKOLKA". See picture.

View attachment 71837

G'day Ray,

I think I know who the last Adelaide owner was but obviously can't pass on the details until I make contact with him. But I know he used to spend a bit of time working O/S. So tracking him done may or may not be easy.

I believe that the person who put the decoration on the car was heavily involved with the local French Car Club 'Club Automobile Francais' and I believe it is the name of his beloved that you are reading. I also understand that he is an occasional visitor to this forum.

Again I can't really say more than that for obvious reasons.

my mate in Toowoomba had a Mazda RX-3 (in the 70's) and we used to have a little fun together - he was absolutely amazed at how far the inside back wheel would come off the ground during 'spirited dicing'....he always thought the 16 was going to tip over, but she never did
BP