Renault 16 Appreciation Thread

Former Australian rally champion Bob Watson (who is pushing 80) with co pilot Gerry Bashford have just completed the 2800km 1986 State Bank Discovery Trial Rerun in a Renault 16TS sporting the paint job of his 1969 (?) Australian Rally championship car. He did the whole route and kept me focused in my 2002 Clio RS following him on the sweeping/swooping outback roads. Relax a moment and he was gone.

As has come up earlier, if one chooses 175/70-14 as a suitable upgrade of similar circumference to 155/80 (or, for that matter, 165/70 as a 145/80 equivalent) then one is currently blessed in Australia as Continental's PremiumContact2 available in these sizes.

Right now, one is doubly blessed. Another one of those lovely "4 for the price of 3" deals is now on again (until end of October) from Continental.

Terms & conditions: Promotional period is valid from September 1st - October 31st 2015 or while stocks last. This offer is available to consumers who purchase three Continental branded tyres from Continental's Passenger, 4x4 and Light Commercial tyre range, where they will receive the fourth tyre of the same size and pattern free. If there is a staggered filment, Continental Tyres will reimburse the tyre of lesser value.
The free tyre is issued at the point of sale. Offer excludes businesses, fleets and not-for-profit organisations are not eligible to be part of this promotion.

I can't imagine why any R16 owner wanting tyres would fit anything else but the PC2 &, for a while, the price will be good.

cheers! Peter

There's a half-way reasonable article on the 16 in the latest Classic and Sports Car magazine (that'd be September's edition) commemorating 50 years of the great car. I've written a short letter to the editor for the next month, but who knows whether it will be published. They completely missed out the "sports" part of the 16. Completely.

Hi I miss my 16 Ts I bought it in 1990 well past its prime I did a lot of miles between Sydney and Brisbane. It caught fire in North Sydney during peak hr causing lots of drama [damn the weber carb].
It was great to drive they have a one of the best third gears Kingswood beating. The number plate was JQX 765 so it was called Jacque,s Renault only to have the arch bad guy in the TV show ''Twin Peaks'' called Jacque,s Renault.

my favourite experience on four wheels. i would trade my C4 and the renault scenic for a good 16ts any day 28.jpg32.jpg1973 R16 TS.jpg

The 16 is back from the body shop with it's new paint job and repairs. Now the interior needs a few tweeks.
View attachment 71213View attachment 71214View attachment 71215
If only it had a pair of Cibies mounted on the rail on the front bumper (much more business like) :D
IMHO avocado colour suits the 16TS best. Having owned 3 in that colour along with several other colours i may be slightly biased !
Incidentally back in the day, Michelin and Kleber tyres in 155 x 14" were my only choice. Excellent grip,acceleration and handling with balance without the overgearing of lesser quality non Euro tyres often fitted to save a buck. Also very good steering feel was provided. (would have been 80 or 78 profile)

Alain

There's a half-way reasonable article on the 16 in the latest Classic and Sports Car magazine (that'd be September's edition) commemorating 50 years of the great car. I've written a short letter to the editor for the next month, but who knows whether it will be published. They completely missed out the "sports" part of the 16. Completely.

There is also a 2 page article in WHEELS (Nov 2015). Great photos of a mid- green TX. I'm not sure whether I prefer that or my Trak-yellow TS. I feel so lucky to have a 165000 mile TS in great condition. They are a joy to own with so many people coming up to me and telling me what a great car they were (are). They often say " wish I had never sold it!!!!" .John.

There is also a 2 page article in WHEELS (Nov 2015). Great photos of a mid- green TX. I'm not sure whether I prefer that or my Trak-yellow TS. I feel so lucky to have a 165000 mile TS in great condition. They are a joy to own with so many people coming up to me and telling me what a great car they were (are). They often say " wish I had never sold it!!!!" .John.

So right. So right.... Sigh.

If only it had a pair of Cibies mounted on the rail on the front bumper (much more business like) :D
IMHO avocado colour suits the 16TS best. Having owned 3 in that colour along with several other colours i may be slightly biased !
Incidentally back in the day, Michelin and Kleber tyres in 155 x 14" were my only choice. Excellent grip,acceleration and handling with balance without the overgearing of lesser quality non Euro tyres often fitted to save a buck. Also very good steering feel was provided. (would have been 80 or 78 profile)

Alain
I'm pleased with the finish of the respray, although I'm annoyed that the repairer didn't put back the chrome trim around the windscreen. They claimed it was "impossible" To top it off they lost a piece, so now i'm short a piece when I eventually find a windscreen installer that can help me. Grrrr. :mad:

Sorry about the tardy reply - old age is not fun...tyres mounted on the 16 are Conti Eco contact 3s, 165x16 - I am ashamed to say that at this point I have not had the opportunity to try them out!

An interesting point for 16 lovers - I recently sent a letter to the Editor of Octane magazine (fab read for $10, btw) to complain about his team not having any 'current' French cars on their list of daily drives - he replied to me that he had fallen in love with the 16 when he went to France for the 50th anniversary celebrations - he went on to say that he was looking around for one in the UK but - get this - "could not find a really nice one".

Says a lot about the value and rarity of the 16 around the planet, methinks......

Sorry about the tardy reply - old age is not fun...tyres mounted on the 16 are Conti Eco contact 3s, 165x16 - I am ashamed to say that at this point I have not had the opportunity to try them out!

An interesting point for 16 lovers - I recently sent a letter to the Editor of Octane magazine (fab read for $10, btw) to complain about his team not having any 'current' French cars on their list of daily drives - he replied to me that he had fallen in love with the 16 when he went to France for the 50th anniversary celebrations - he went on to say that he was looking around for one in the UK but - get this - "could not find a really nice one".

Says a lot about the value and rarity of the 16 around the planet, methinks......

Rare and under-valued, I'd say. Did he contact the Renault Classic Car Club I wonder? They have an R16 Registrar. They're not common but there are some good ones left in UK. Home

Cheers

hey John, one thing is for sure, the value of 4CVs in Europe are out of my reach unless I win a big one - big bucks !

I always said I'd swap the 16 and 10 for a nice 4CV but there's not enough value in my two cars !

btw, I meant 165x65 for the tyres, not 165x16...

BP

You mean that one day my $60 investment in 1966 might pay off? I'd have to ignore the running/maintenance/paint costs I guess... :)

Hang onto that 16. They are precious and rare. Every modern suspension engineer should have a ride in a 16 to see how it is done!!

Cheers

What Renault Classic needs to do is to commence production of new parts, such as driveshafts, water pumps and suspension components. In the same format as BMW Mobile Tradition, Porsche and Mercedes. An ability to provide decent quality parts, or any parts, can only add interest and value to the range - Porsche are even setting up Classic dealerships to look after their older range, right down to being able to provide correct 6-volt batteries for 356s. OK, the stuff may be at a premium price, but it all goes towards adding value to the classic range and bringing money back to the business at a time when lower maintenance modern cars only see a workshop once a year.

Totally agree Simon. They'd reap quite a benefit, like M-B and BMW, and I suspect the VW group. It would add quite a bit of sales support through die-hards like us!

R16 key parts are being remade a bit through the Dutch folk, as you'd know.

Bullet-proof camshafts and followers would be a good idea....

Cheers

John

Totally agree Simon. They'd reap quite a benefit, like M-B and BMW, and I suspect the VW group. It would add quite a bit of sales support through die-hards like us!

R16 key parts are being remade a bit through the Dutch folk, as you'd know.

Bullet-proof camshafts and followers would be a good idea....

Cheers

John

Thought id add my new 16TS...bought on ebay for $1469...what a bargain and drives well
....In the locked glovebox was the original owners manual and handbook !!! yee ha
plus the 5000 km service receipt and other receipts from Virage motora as well as golden fleece motors
The original owner was Nicholas Contanedes of 19 peel st Collingwood,car bought from Renault at 449 punt rd,richmond 10th nov 1970
reg being KTB 912...the original sales receipt says list price as $2930 plus $120 for reg,third party ins,stamp duty and pre delivery plus a locking petrol cap for $2.42 making $3050 less house discount of $380 paying $2670...green and bone being original combo.
on the 6/4/1974 Nicolas sold the car to George Dimitriou of 46 gore st Fitzroy and I have the RWC from then...George then owned the car until his death...last service being 2005 at citro but even in 2018 the car still has 2000 miles to go before being due for it's next service...lol
It is beginning to look like the miles are original and not around the clock..
the car is just lovely to drive....just the tacho,heater and oil leak to sort...plus anything the RWC test shows up
I'm starting a list of bits I'm after and they are
rear view mirror..faded
new headlights as my reflectors are faded
spotlights..faded reflectors
heater knob
16TS badge located on the dash needs a chrome look surround
working cig lighter
some outside chrome trim...some of mine are damaged
IMG_2952.jpgIMG_2938.jpg

I have followed your purchase with interest and am very impressed with your buy. Especially with the great "bonus cash back deal" of the gold coins in the glove box..! :D Hardly Normal would be proud of of that one... Deal of the century..

Seriously, it looks to be a fantastic car. I also have had similar issues with mine which I purchased late last year. It had stood in a shed for 15 years and although the low mileage means lots of gear is in good condition, there are a lot of rubber seals etc perished or parts seized up. And the rear brakes were seized and part rusted so new wheel cylinders (thanks to Mike Newman) and general overhaul of brakes has been done. I also have a refurbishment job ahead on the heater tap control under the dash (seized). It also needed a good bleed of the coolant system to get all the air out. Previous owner had just tried to open and "bleed" air from the radiator cap and overflow reservoir. :nownow: Many don't understand the physics of having the head & heater higher than the radiator so the air naturally rises up there. I also need a cigarette lighter and some chrome trim.

So keep us posted with pics of the progress. Good luck and enjoy the best economical luxury car going around.... :wink2:

IMG_1125.jpg Coolant bleed.jpg

Last edited:
I see the R16 made the list of "significant cars" in the latest edition of Wheels mag...

I have followed your purchase with interest and am very impressed with your buy. Especially with the great "bonus cash back deal" of the gold coins in the glove box..! :D Hardly Normal would be proud of of that one... Deal of the century..

Seriously, it looks to be a fantastic car. I also have had similar issues with mine which I purchased late last year. It had stood in a shed for 15 years and although the low mileage means lots of gear is in good condition, there are a lot of rubber seals etc perished or parts seized up. And the rear brakes were seized and part rusted so new wheel cylinders (thanks to Mike Newman) and general overhaul of brakes has been done. I also have a refurbishment job ahead on the heater tap control under the dash (seized). It also needed a good bleed of the coolant system to get all the air out. Previous owner had just tried to open and "bleed" air from the radiator cap and overflow reservoir. :nownow: Many don't understand the physics of having the head & heater higher than the radiator so the air naturally rises up there. I also need a cigarette lighter and some chrome trim.

So keep us posted with pics of the progress. Good luck and enjoy the best economical luxury car going around.... :wink2:

View attachment 106187 View attachment 106188
My 76 TS is the same color and when I bought it from a friend about 8 years ago it had been stored in a shed for 12 years, but well looked after. I regularly get stopped in the street or at car shows by people who had one or knew one in the past. They usually say it was the best car they ever had. Considering it is over 40 years old now I must agree. I use mine as a second car and can't remember when I saw another one on the road around Adelaide.
Don