Quick paint job anyone ????

I got a fair bit done this afternoon.

z1.jpg

The small bits come up perfect when you spray them ... they don't get covered with overspray...

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

You can see the sky and roof in them straight from the gun...

z4.jpg

the roof... Looks just like last time... And I managed to put a couple of drips on it again too :rolleyes: They were in the clear so hopefully will simply sand out .... I must have left a drip or two hanging on the edge of the paint pot after filling it (and I thought I was being really careful too :mad: ).

getting close to finished now :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Last edited:
Now then, if the car is riding and handling better now that the ride height has been set, aren't you glad I mentioned about those rear spats? you wouldn't have thought of it otherwise....john s

Yeah, actually it rides a lot better with the arse end sitting considerably lower.

I resprayed the bonnet, bootlid, bonnet prop and rear windscreen visor today.

e1.jpg

I cheated and stole the bootlid from the C-matic (rather than prepping another)... Saving time as the C-matics bootlid was already ready for painting.

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e4.jpg

The bonnet props always hold the right hand corner to high... The springs are under no real tension with the prop straight... I'll try just one of the springs, or cutting some sections out of the sprirals to see if that helps.

e5.jpg

e6.jpg

e7.jpg

The boot lid I prepped a year or so back ...... Bugger it I realised as soon as the top coat went on .... I can see the marks where the double sided tape held the pallas trim on :mad: :mad: I hadn't bothered rubbing/prepping it there as it's a full length allumuminum trim that covers the area (stuck on with more tape) hiding it .... However this car ....... No trim, I hope the badges cover it !!!:rolleyes: Always gotta do everything twice, that's me :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Last edited:
Oh boy, that looks nice!! Can hardly wait to see it in person, only 5 weeks left!!
I think this might be the encouragement I need. As of today, my turbo is now insured...for the first time since I wrote it off 2 years ago. This will enable me to bring the car back to civilisation, to have things like MOT, and other stuff done to her. Of course, making her look pretty, will take a bit longer, but I miss it soooo much, I'm sure you know how I feel huh Shane?? john s

smiffy1071 said:
Oh boy, that looks nice!! Can hardly wait to see it in person, only 5 weeks left!!
I think this might be the encouragement I need. As of today, my turbo is now insured...for the first time since I wrote it off 2 years ago. This will enable me to bring the car back to civilisation, to have things like MOT, and other stuff done to her. Of course, making her look pretty, will take a bit longer, but I miss it soooo much, I'm sure you know how I feel huh Shane?? john s

No idea how you feel :) I drive mine everyday :evil:

The bootlid I'll leave on the car for now... It looks quite good. My problem is I expected to just tack a bracket on the back or make a minor change to the mounting points to fit the central locking gear .... The metalwork is considerably different :( I'll have a think about this over winter, possibly I'll try to reskin the old bootlid, cutting the mounting section out and welding it into another bootlid would be ugly, but possible.... I'll see how I go (not having the boot open with the central locking doesn't worry me to much for the time being..... It's something that can easily be fixed down the track.

I'll post a piccie of the other bootlid tonight, you not going to believe how bad it was !!! I'm stunned, it looked really good on the car, with no rust at all noticible.

seeya,
Shane L.

I'd believe how bad it is....when I saw the pics earlier on in this thread, I thought your bootlid was worse than the one on my scrap 22TRS, and that really is falling appart!!!:eek: :eek: The lower edge has totally separated from the framework, almost as if it were made of 2 pieces.
That sound like yours shane?

Hi Smiffy,

when I pulled the plastic trim off, there was a length of metal pop riveted across the boot skin, from there back it was held together with what I found out was a length of fiberglass. My father said he did the fiberglass bit when he purchased the car in the UK...

Gee's your cars rust over there. I'm very glad it's only a removable panel that got rust into it :) I still need to fix the small hole under each headlight though.

seeya,
Shane L.

Well Guys,

She's getting close to finished now :)

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

f8.jpg

f9.jpg

f10.jpg

f11.jpg

f12.jpg

The new windscreen surround insert is to be put in, the rubbers on the window edges, the door put back together (inside) clear windows for the spoiler (which Vivid is kindly getting for me :) ), rubbers under the headlights, fuel filler flap ............. ie: lots of little bits 'n' pieces, but she's finally getting there slowly. It needs a really good clean as there is runoff from the sanding everywhere and lots of external detailing (coming from me who never washes cars :rolleyes:).

seeya,
Shane L.

Last edited:
DoubleChevron said:
Well Guys,

seeya,
Shane L.

Looks great Shane. I didn't realise you had the same device on your air intake to keep the snow out as mine. Do you also take the optimistic view that it might help the air flow into the car?

Cheers

Yeah they do nothing except keep leaves and crap out of your ventilation tower (snow .... Where ??? :confused: :roflmao: Haven't seen snow for a llloooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg time :) ).

They make no difference to interior ventilation (which is a common misconception)... I remember years ago when my father first got the CX wagon (our first CX) he made up a big metal scoop for the bonnet to see if there would be any difference... Even with a big air scoop it made neglible difference :disappr: It does look good on the turbo with all it's plastic trim though :)

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Yeah they do nothing except keep leaves and crap out of your ventilation tower (snow .... Where ??? :confused: :roflmao: Haven't seen snow for a llloooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg time :) ).

They make no difference to interior ventilation (which is a common misconception)... I remember years ago when my father first got the CX wagon (our first CX) he made up a big metal scoop for the bonnet to see if there would be any difference... Even with a big air scoop it made neglible difference :disappr: It does look good on the turbo with all it's plastic trim though :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I agree completely - looks good though!

Nice job you've done.

I always thought the plastic thingy on the bonnet, was more like an air scoop, to help the airflow through ventilation system. At that point on top of the bonnet there is virtually no airflow at all. john s

smiffy1071 said:
I always thought the plastic thingy on the bonnet, was more like an air scoop, to help the airflow through ventilation system. At that point on top of the bonnet there is virtually no airflow at all. john s

Hey Smiffy,

seriously they make bugger all difference ... I'll demonstrate at the Cit-in if you like :)

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Hey Smiffy,

seriously they make bugger all difference ... I'll demonstrate at the Cit-in if you like :)

seeya,
Shane L.
I'm sure they don't, but you can still demonstrate, as I've never been known to turn down a ride in a CX :crazy:
I'm finally sorting out those dashboard pockets this week. I'm getting a coinbox for my car, and will get them for yours at the same time. Bugger that they cost £13 for each lid, but if they aint available, anywhere, what can you do?
Luckily for you, I have most of it in stock already so there are only 2 items I need to buy in. john s

gibgib said:
Shane, your car looks wonderful :)

Almost every panel has at least one bit that you would probably fix. As a daily driver I give is a 20/10 ... As a show car like your doing your 2cv I'd give it a 2/10 and redo a lot of it to try and get as close to perfection as possible. It's just to difficult with a car that gets used everyday and is guaranteed to have doors bashed into within a week :mad: :disappr:

I'm happy with it, it's exactly the sort of finish I was after, far from perfect, yet still looks clean and tidy and looks quite good unless your really looking it over and being picky :)

Someday she'll be relegated to 2nd car and kept garaged and out of the weather... At that time it'll be treated to the best possible finish I can get (even if I have to hire a booth and have someone shoot it in 2pack for me ).

seeya,
Shane L.

smiffy1071 said:
I'm sure they don't, but you can still demonstrate, as I've never been known to turn down a ride in a CX :crazy:
I'm finally sorting out those dashboard pockets this week. I'm getting a coinbox for my car, and will get them for yours at the same time. Bugger that they cost £13 for each lid, but if they aint available, anywhere, what can you do?
Luckily for you, I have most of it in stock already so there are only 2 items I need to buy in. john s

Thanks Smiffy,

let me know how you go :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane that looks sensational :approve:

...ya' must be thrilled, fantastic that you have been able to do all the work yourself, welding, panel work, painting and keep the car on the road as your daily driver. All this and keep a bloody good visual and text record of procedures, best thread on AF bar none, great acheivement :approve: :approve:

Cheers
Chris

DoubleChevron said:
Well Guys,

The new windscreen surround insert is to be put in, the rubbers on the window edges, the door put back together (inside) clear windows for the spoiler (which Vivid is kindly getting for me :) ), rubbers under the headlights, fuel filler flap ............. ie: lots of little bits 'n' pieces, but she's finally getting there slowly. It needs a really good clean as there is runoff from the sanding everywhere and lots of external detailing (coming from me who never washes cars :rolleyes:).

seeya,
Shane L.

I've been following this thread with a bit of intrest shane, the CX is coming up good, and i'm sure once you get the roof sorted out it'll look really nice.